Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2022, 00:05   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Eggs with that?

Apparently I’m a gammon….

You know one of those red faced baby boom angry little Englanders..

I was dragged up on a council estate with a black and white 20 inch TV and a radiogram for communication…the phone box was a few hundred yards away. Had to switch the immersion heater on for an hour to get hot water for a bath and boil a kettle to do the washing up. The sitting room had a square carpet that didn’t quite fit and was supplemented with about a foot of linoleum around the edge. Pretty much had two sets of school clothes, a couple of sets of playing out clothes and one best for church or visits to gran. Walked to primary, bus to secondary school....if I got ill at school, I toughed it out until home time. Etc..etc.etc..

Those of an age know what I mean.

But hey…those that label me as a gammon little Englander are the self same ones who cause the angry red faced little Englander in me…the just stop oil nutjobs in London, the eco warriors who deface buildings and works of art, the halfwits who let down the tyres on 4x4’s. The Europhiles who ignore stuff like..Macron who today has weakened NATO, Merkel who sunk everything into Russian gas, the village idiot from Turkey, Van Der Leyden etc..

And…you know what..I’m proud of the label….

Ich Bin Ein Gammon…..Civis Brittanicus Sum
Old 15-10-2022, 13:53   #2

Re: Eggs with that?

Eggs with what?
wigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 16:04   #3
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Apparently I’m a gammon….

You know one of those red faced baby boom angry little Englanders..

I was dragged up on a council estate with a black and white 20 inch TV and a radiogram for communication…the phone box was a few hundred yards away. Had to switch the immersion heater on for an hour to get hot water for a bath and boil a kettle to do the washing up. The sitting room had a square carpet that didn’t quite fit and was supplemented with about a foot of linoleum around the edge. Pretty much had two sets of school clothes, a couple of sets of playing out clothes and one best for church or visits to gran. Walked to primary, bus to secondary school....if I got ill at school, I toughed it out until home time. Etc..etc.etc..

Those of an age know what I mean.

But hey…those that label me as a gammon little Englander are the self same ones who cause the angry red faced little Englander in me…the just stop oil nutjobs in London, the eco warriors who deface buildings and works of art, the halfwits who let down the tyres on 4x4’s. The Europhiles who ignore stuff like..Macron who today has weakened NATO, Merkel who sunk everything into Russian gas, the village idiot from Turkey, Van Der Leyden etc..

And…you know what..I’m proud of the label….

Ich Bin Ein Gammon…..Civis Brittanicus Sum
How that resonates with me, but I can’t be a gammon, because it is a term that is used for older white men.
Instead I have to be a Karen….except Karen’s are seen as middle class middle aged women.
I could only be middle aged if I am going to live to be well into my hundreds….and please Lord do not let that happen.

Like you I had the white ‘privileged’ background.
I was privileged to be the eldest of seven children.
I was privileged to wear jumble sale clothes and ugly shoes.
I was privileged to live in a home with an outside long drop toilet.
I was privileged to lift the tin bath off the backyard wall every Friday.
I was privileged to be able to make iced lollies(just pain water you understand) on the bedroom window sill…this was inside the house.
I was privileged to leave school after the most rudimentary education at 15.
I was privileged to work in the cotton mill….battery filler first, then a big upgrade to weaver.

My real true privilege was being accepted to train as a nurse, despite having a poor education.
Another privilege was having someone who believed in giving me this opportunity.
I was truly blessed to enjoy every minute of my time looking after the people of our local towns…..and I kept expecting someone to tap me on the shoulder and tell me that I was a fake.

Guinness, my prejudices have been formed by what I have seen and experienced.
And I have to say that I am heartily glad that I am at the butt end of my life.
I have never come across so many virtue signalling naive, brain rinsed people who cannot connect two thoughts in their head….so when it is my time to exit…I will miss nothing!
dotti34 and taddy like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-10-2022 at 16:07.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 17:10   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have never come across so many virtue signalling naive, brain rinsed people who cannot connect two thoughts in their head….
But they can connect two and some times more thoughts together!

Unfortunately they are the most illogical thoughts ever had by a human bean and if they weren't confusing as single thoughts, they certainly are when when put forwards as the Third and even newer Testament which must be believed by all and never criticised by any.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 17:51   #5
Beacon of light

Yes Less, maybe they can connect thoughts, but they fail on the subject of critical analysis.
Old 15-10-2022, 18:53   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

And I have to say that I am heartily glad that I am at the butt end of my life.
I have never come across so many virtue signalling naive, brain rinsed people who cannot connect two thoughts in their head….so when it is my time to exit…I will miss nothing!
Margaret that last paragraph of your post i can agree with 100%, THE WORLD is full of Woke idiots these days.i care not a jot when my time is up. and i never ever thought i would say that!
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
Old 15-10-2022, 20:52   #7
Beacon of light

It is like these vegan eco warriors….now isn’t that a ludicrous title for them.
For goodness sake call them what they are….vandals.
They want the population to convert to plant based foods.
Have you tasted any of these plant based milk substitutes?
They are rank….and there is nothing surer to turn me off something, than to have some loony vandal tell me that I must use that instead of dairy.

Where are the shops security guys when all this crap kicks off.
If they did this in Asda they would be knocked on their backsides promptly.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 15-10-2022, 22:42   #8

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:

Where are the shops security guys when all this crap kicks off.
If they did this in Asda they would be knocked on their backsides promptly.
Unfortunately if they did they would lose their SIA licence and probably be prosecuted for using unreasonable force. Meanwhile...

...Plod would offer counselling, cups of tea, cream cakes and free lucky dips on the lottery to the actual offenders
Old 16-10-2022, 03:44   #9
Beacon of light

No Guinness, everyone of them would testify that these vandals slipped on the milk they had just poured all over the floor.
Mysteriously, the CCTV footage would not have captured the event either
Old 16-10-2022, 08:59   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

IT may be a ludicrous title but anyone telling the truth would be banned instantly.
Old 16-10-2022, 09:05   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
...Plod would offer counselling, cups of tea, cream cakes and free lucky dips on the lottery to the actual offenders
Which although a meaningful gesture on plods part (an official sort of, there, there, you lie back in your pram and I'll fetch you another dummy to replace the one you just spat out), plod would be in trouble for offering a vegan cream!

Please note, no cartoon today, it seems vegans never laugh, they just scowl and point their bony fingers accusingly at everyone else!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 09:12   #12

Re:

On the computer at 04:44? You should still be in your hubbies embrace at that time in a morning Marge

Last edited by taddy; 16-10-2022 at 09:19. Reason: wrong message
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 15:55   #13
Beacon of light

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
On the computer at 04:44? You should still be in your hubbies embrace at that time in a morning Marge
Taddy, hubby is currently languishing in The coronary care unit at Blackpool Vic.
Heart attack Friday morning.
A bit poorly right now.
But you were not to know that….so my sleep is a bit fractured, my appetite too.
Mx
Old 16-10-2022, 18:37   #14

Re:

Quote:
Taddy, hubby is currently languishing in The coronary care unit at Blackpool Vic.
Heart attack Friday morning.
A bit poorly right now.
But you were not to know that….so my sleep is a bit fractured, my appetite too.
Mx
So Sorry for my earlier comment Marge, as you say I did not know the situation with your hubby, I hope that everything turns out o/k for him, regards, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 19:40   #15
Beacon of light

You and me both. I want him home yesterday
He was poorly this afternoon…just have to hope, and wait to see how things turn out.
Less likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..