Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 21:14   #1
God Member

Eight Dead In Finland School Shooting

There has been another appalling school shooting, but this time in the most unlikely of places.
Not some midwestern United States campus but in Finland.
In this case the perpetrator seemed to post a warning on the website YouTube before shooting eight people, including students and the head teacher.

Channel 4 - News - Eight die in Finland school shooting
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2007, 21:24   #2

Re: Eight Dead In Finland School Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
There has been another appalling school shooting, but this time in the most unlikely of places.
Not some midwestern United States campus but in Finland.
In this case the perpetrator seemed to post a warning on the website YouTube before shooting eight people, including students and the head teacher.

Channel 4 - News - Eight die in Finland school shooting
Now i hope your not suggesting that it only happens in midwestern US campuses are you? How very wrong of you to suggest this.
Old 07-11-2007, 21:26   #3
God Member

Not me, copied it from an email. So nerr.
Old 07-11-2007, 21:30   #4
God Member

RIP to the deceased. My condolences to their families.
Old 07-11-2007, 23:12   #5
God Member

Very tragic RIP
Old 07-11-2007, 23:55   #6
God Member

Pre meditated by all sounds of it was posted on you tube prior to it happening warning of it . very sad indeed imo
R I P to deceased and condolances to the families and friends .
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 00:38   #7

I managed to get hold of the video's that he posted on youtube through an italian site. They aren't much, just a bunch of pictures and some screaming rock music.

There's one video of him shooting an apple or something then smiling and waving.

I heard its the first school shooting ever in Fin even though its common to have a firearm?
Old 08-11-2007, 05:43   #8

Watched it last night on the news, it is appalling.........I wonder if he wanted to be stopped and that's why he posted on YouTube.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:18   #9
Resident Waffler

Unhappy Re: Eight Dead In Finland School Shooting

Yes Finland has the third largest ownership of handguns but there has rarely been any trouble there. It seems this young man was out to eliminate people he deemed inferior.

How terribly sad.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 13:12   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Now i hope your not suggesting that it only happens in midwestern US campuses are you? How very wrong of you to suggest this.

Nope, he was suggesting it was an unlikely place, as there hasn't been a school shooting in Finland before and there has been very little trouble in Finland before, they have extremely low violent crime rates (except for the suicide bomb in 2002? or 2003, not sure.)
Old 08-11-2007, 16:45   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
Watched it last night on the news, it is appalling.........I wonder if he wanted to be stopped and that's why he posted on YouTube.
Or he knew that nobody would even notice anyway as nobody has even noticed that he was a bit weird before?

Normal people dont just wake up one day and decide that fellow classmates need to be 'eliminated', he's been clearly getting more and more deranged as times gone by and finally decided when the time was right.

I sympathise with people like this man and the other school shootings, because I think its a deeply saddening portrayal an natural human emotion thats gone ignored for some reason, and they've clearly felt very alone and depressed. I obviously feel as well for the people that became victim to what he did, and I dont agree with lashing out at others to make yourself feel better, but I just hope that people will take more notice of others so that things like this are prevented in the future.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 14:44   #12
Resting in peace

I am of the opinion that all these countries where guns are part of the 'furnishings' as with Finland being a hunting oriented nation, this problem of 'copy cat' crime will only get worse. Removing all guns is impossible, as there will always be a chap that knows a chap who can get you one. Owning and keeping a gun legally, as these probably were, should be made more strict, having one for having ones sake is stupid.My thoughts go out to the innocent victims and their families.RIP.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 21:52   #13
God Member

Isnt finland typically a anti-war and crime kind of place though? I assumed thats why it said it happened in the most unlikely of places?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 00:21   #14
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Isnt finland typically a anti-war and crime kind of place though? I assumed thats why it said it happened in the most unlikely of places?
The Finn's Blazey have always been a very resilient nation, as the Russians descovered when they tried to annex them. The Finn's slaughtered them, leave them alone and they will leave you alone. The reason for this out of character incident and the one's in the USA baffle yours truely
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..