Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2019, 09:17   #61
God Member

Re: Election

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;
She says that she will never ever vote for Labour again....she feels utterly betrayed by the party....and has cancelled her membership.
It is not something shenis comfortable with, but she said it had to be done.[/QUOTE]

felt the same way due to blair and his cronies. she,ll end up like me in the end, anybody but labour.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2019, 10:52   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
at least we will not be picking it up then. how much do they get from westminster anyway.
Very, very difficult to calculate, MH.

The SNP claim Scotland has (note past tense) subsidised the U.K. over the past 40 years on the basis that Scotland ‘owns’ (or should it be owned!) most of the North Sea oil revenues. However, this is based on a very convoluted formula that makes much of the boom of oil prices in the 1980s and only goes back 30 odd years.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...rest-of-the-uk

However, the Times reported that Nicola Sturgeon denied that Scotland was being subsidised by Westminster after figures showed that public spending north of the border is more than £1,500 per person higher than the figure for the whole of the UK.

Scotland’s notional fiscal deficit — the gap between what it raises and what it spends — was £13.4 billion in the 2017-18 financial year, down £1 billion compared with the previous year. However, this represents 7.9 per cent of GDP, compared with the 1.9 per cent recorded for the UK as a whole, and more than double the limit allowed by the European Union for independent member states. The spending gap is most pronounced in the amount of money spent on public services.

Somewhat ironic then that, we’re Scotland a soviet of the EU, it would NOT be allowed such a fiscal deficit.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 18:22   #63
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

The wee ginger tom is a one trick pony, constantly harping on about Indy for Scotland from they B'strd English! In the meantime, her constituency has gone to rat she-ite & the sensible Scots are suffering because of her stupidity.

And then, if she gets what she wants, Independence for Scotland, she's quite happy to blithely hand it over to Brussels & their undemocratic governance thereby chucking away the long fought for "Scottish Independence"??? The woman has been hitting the Bucky & TSS far to much, deluded doesn't even come close!.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:35   #64
Beacon of light

I see that our Ex-MP is bleating in the Accy Observer....unfinished business, back to square one...redundancy for his staff.
It seems that this man thinks he gave our town great service....by Being the Labour whip, by being on the Defence Committee, by being on a Committee dedicated to Arms Export Control and Regulation....these are his published achievements.
How do any of those help the town he came from.
He trumpets that he was a working class factory worker....but what did this man do to promote the values of those in THIS town who are still working class factory workers?

If he is in any doubt, I can tell him.
He did very little.
He felt that we were good enough to put our x in his box, but were not savvy enough to be able to determine whether we wanted to stay in the EU.
When we voted conclusively to leave he did not follow the wishes of those who put him in Westminster to promote their needs and views...he took it upon himself to vote with his deluded party....to thwart the will of his constituents.
Yet now he is surprised to find himself unemployed.

He tells us that he has unfinished business in Westminster.....well, Mr Jones, you had nearly a decade to show your mettle....and if you had done things that benefitted the place you came from, then you might still have been there....but you didn't....so too little too late.
I will never vote for you (or the Labour Party) ever again.
I don't think I am alone.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:45   #65

You are far from alone Marge, as the Hyndburn electorate indicated in 2016.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:55   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i will second that also.
Old 02-01-2020, 13:35   #67
Beacon of light

But Taddy in the election in 2017 he was returned with an increased Majority!
What were the electorate thinking?
His Maiden speech was all about scrap metal(much was made of that)....I am not entirely sure how THIS benefitted his constituents.
His other achievements have done absolutely nothing to improve the town in any way.
What has Veneuela got to do with Accrington...or the Yemen for that matter?

He has been a great disappointment to many, who thought he would go and represent the deprived areas of his own constituency. I think he got bitten by the metropolitan bug and believed that he was better than the place he came from...and that he knew more than the folk who had put him in Westmister.

Surely he could see the dissatisfaction in the town....but then NO he couldn't he was blinded by his own brilliance...shame that none of us could see it!
KiTChener and cashman like this.
Old 02-01-2020, 17:33   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
But Taddy in the election in 2017 he was returned with an increased Majority!
What were the electorate thinking?
Perhaps, like a lot of naive Labour (and, at that time, Tory) voters, they believed it when told parties would respect the result of the referendum!

We’re not so naive now, so Johnson had better not forget it.

On this matter, see the attached piece, and particularly comment number 5 below it.
I’ve written to my MP about reinserting the removed clause. Wonder what your new MP thinks about it?
Time is tight to do something about it.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_jan_d...for_brexiteers
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 17:48   #69
Beacon of light

Maybe we were naive to believe ANY of the parties would follow through on their promise to respect the result of the referendum.

I think that the parties were dishonest in putting the promise in their manifestos....and ALL of them did this.....maybe if they were all saying that we would be more likely to believe them.

I hate the fact that I was bamboozled....I hate being screwed by the people that are supposed to represent me.
I despise our Ex MP for his part in the delay.

I have just read that Jeremy Corbyn has tabled an amendment to extend the transition period for another two years...let's hope that this fails.

I will be contacting our new MP with the suggestion that the WA is amended...to,our advantage rather than that of the EU.
(The EU is currently in political and financial turmoil)
Old 02-01-2020, 17:57   #70
Beacon of light

The other thing that was a factor in the delays in getting Brexit done has been the reluctance of remainer civil servants to accept the will of the people.

It is rumoured that there is going to be a bit of a 'clearout' of these well paid unelected(therefore unaccountable) people.
It cannot come soon enough.
Old 02-01-2020, 18:03   #71
Beacon of light

For anyone who has not seen or read the article...here is a link to the story on Lancslive.
https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashi...itics-17483626
Old 02-01-2020, 18:37   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

personally i think it would be very foolish of him to run again as an M.P. at least in Hyndburn, i will be very suprised if the voters here ever forget how they were treated after the referendum
Old 02-01-2020, 19:07   #73
Beacon of light

He talks about standing for the county Council elections, but also has Westminster ambitions.
They must be big if they could not be accomplished in almost a decade.

I cannot see him getting elected in hyndburn for a long time....unless Sara Britcliffe gets it badly wrong....even then I still don't think he would be electable.
Old 05-01-2020, 13:00   #74
Beacon of light

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-face-it.html

Now in the national press too....
Poor GJ.....what a sore loser....and his comments do him no favours.
Get over yourself Jones!
Old 05-01-2020, 22:51   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-face-it.html

Now in the national press too....
Poor GJ.....what a sore loser....and his comments do him no favours.
Get over yourself Jones!
How pathetic - obviously spent too much time among the 'professional victims' learning how to be ever so offended by anything and everything.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..