Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Election time - who wins & how many votes?
Jones - increases labour majority to 10,000+ 0 0%
Jones - takes 15-18,000 votes - same majority as Pope 4 12.12%
jones - labour vote falls - majority of 200-2000 20 60.61%
Jones - after a recount - scrapes through with 1-200 votes 2 6.06%
Buckley - after recount, wins by 1-200 votes 3 9.09%
Buckley - big swing to Tories - wins by 2000+ votes 2 6.06%
Rankine - scrapes through with 1-200 votes majority 0 0%
Rankine - wins seat with big majority 2000+ 0 0%
UKIP win 0 0%
BNP/crackpot christians/greens win 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2010, 09:43   #106
God Member

Re: Election - Place yer bets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Wait while tomorrow

I didn't specify a time.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-04-2010, 09:59   #107
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Graham is standing on a platform that supports the Brown government. He supports a government that have made a colossal amount of mistakes. That is our democracy - you're voting for somebody to represent you, but the party they belong to matters because they tend to support the policies of that party!

No doubt Graham is a local candidate. Ken, you think he's the best. I will admit to you that if someone is voting purely on who has lived in the constituency for a long time, Graham will probably get their vote. It's about much more than that though. MPs can easily adjust to local constituency work. You've got to consider what party and government they are going to support when down in Westminster.

When you consider that, in my opinion he might be the best man for the job, but he's not the best person.
I'd prefer to support a party that works as a team and is best for the area, which is why the Conservatives will never get my vote in Hyndburn. Spitting the dummy out over Peter Britcliffe's rejection, resignations over a CCO decision, uneven balancing of Hyndburn's finances, vicious personal attacks on members of the opposition, somewhat dubious promises on campaign literature....I could go on but I won't. Voting for Karen Buckley is essentially approving of this behaviour.

Local politics are the foundation of national politics and you should look to your own area as a starting point on how to get things right.

Vote from the bottom up and not the top down.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 10:16   #108
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'd prefer to support a party that works as a team and is best for the area, which is why the Conservatives will never get my vote in Hyndburn. Spitting the dummy out over Peter Britcliffe's rejection, resignations over a CCO decision, uneven balancing of Hyndburn's finances, vicious personal attacks on members of the opposition, somewhat dubious promises on campaign literature....I could go on but I won't. Voting for Karen Buckley is essentially approving of this behaviour.

Local politics are the foundation of national politics and you should look to your own area as a starting point on how to get things right.

Vicious personal attack on members of the opposition, your a good bloke Ken, but you really do need to take your rose tinted glasses of mate, there is nobody worse for personal attacks than Mr Jones, as he adequately portrays in his latest News Letter to Accrington South, the only trouble is he doesn't even know when he's doing it, he's just a self publishing narcissist
Old 28-04-2010, 12:42   #109

Quote:

In my view the foundation is certainly at national level.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 12:49   #110
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
Working on that assumption, government should tell the people what is best for them rather than each borough advising Westminster on what they need.

Sounds like a bit of a dictatorship ideal to me.

Old 28-04-2010, 12:54   #111

Quote:
Voting for Labour in a general election,just means to me that your happy with the present government and their policies. it has to come from the top down like in all good organisations.
Old 28-04-2010, 12:56   #112
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Vicious personal attack on members of the opposition, your a good bloke Ken, but you really do need to take your rose tinted glasses of mate, there is nobody worse for personal attacks than Mr Jones, as he adequately portrays in his latest News Letter to Accrington South, the only trouble is he doesn't even know when he's doing it, he's just a self publishing narcissist
Fair point John, I have to concede that there are faults on both sides but the swing for me was 'that' Observer letter which I thought was particularly below the belt.

As for narcissistic, it may appear that way to some people but I can say, hand on heart, that he is certainly not. On the flip side of that coin, Peter Britcliffe comes across in a rather self-publicising way to me (the notorious Hyndburn calendar being a case in point) but perhaps I'm wrong too.

Different perspectives, possibly.

Old 28-04-2010, 12:58   #113

Quote:
Working on that assumption, government should tell the people what is best for them rather than each borough advising Westminster on what they need.

Sounds like a bit of a dictatorship ideal to me.
This is different because it is a general election. if it was just local may be i could understand your way of thinking.
Old 28-04-2010, 13:03   #114

I think the election night will be very interesting so many people have changed their vote from Labour and Con to Lib Dem.
Old 28-04-2010, 13:03   #115
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Voting for Labour in a general election,just means to me that your happy with the present government and their policies. it has to come from the top down like in all good organisations.
I do prefer Labour's policies on a national level, mainly because they do actually have some policies and aren't scratting around simply saying how bad it will be if David Cameron gets in.

On a local level, why would I vote Conservative in Rishton? All our tax revenue seems to get spent in Accrington and Oswaldtwistle, presumably why you're so much in favour of them given your location.

Old 28-04-2010, 13:19   #116

Quote:
I think the election night will be very interesting so many people have changed their vote from Labour and Con to Lib Dem.
If i thought they could win i would consider voting for them but i am concerned about the hung parliament, and feel it would be a wasted vote.
Old 28-04-2010, 13:29   #117

Quote:
I do prefer Labour's policies on a national level, mainly because they do actually have some policies and aren't scratting around simply saying how bad it will be if David Cameron gets in.

On a local level, why would I vote Conservative in Rishton? All our tax revenue seems to get spent in Accrington and Oswaldtwistle, presumably why you're so much in favour of them given your location.
Actually Ken,i dont even think about what money that is spent locally,may be i should,. I am possibly a lot more interested in national policies that are really important to me and our future generation.
Old 28-04-2010, 13:31   #118
Common Sense Member

Quote:
If i thought they could win i would consider voting for them but i am concerned about the hung parliament, and feel it would be a wasted vote.
A fair point, but how many other people are thinking the same thing up and down the country? Go with what you truly believe instead of a tactical assumption, whichever way you intend to vote.

I note you sidestepped my point about tax revenue in Hyndburn. How can that be justified? Who wants a Tory MP for Hyndburn when what they're really standing for is Oswaldtwistle? A disorganised local party and a non-local candidate, it just doesn't look good to me.

I take your point about national policies but can you honestly say that Ms Buckley will be better for Hyndburn than Graham Jones? Surely a voice for our borough is more important?

Old 28-04-2010, 13:33   #119

Quote:
Actually Ken,i dont even think about what money that is spent locally,may be i should,. I am possibly a lot more interested in national policies that are really important to me and our future generation.
Did you ask why money is not being spent in your area.
Old 28-04-2010, 13:35   #120
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Did you ask why money is not being spent in your area.
Frequently, and the official figures show that Rishton got over £1m spent on facilities last year. Hmmm.

If that is true, why are people in Rishton complaining about it? It's not just Rishton either as I'm sure this forum will demonstrate.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..