Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2015, 06:45   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Electric Car Charger

A delivery bay close to Accrington Town Hall, in Broadway, will be converted into a free ‘fast charging’ point for economical motorists.
From here - Electric car charging points coming to Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2015, 08:55   #17
Senior Member+

Using Gordon's figures and the ones from the Telegraph, then Hyndburn will have to come up with c.£38,000. What is the expected return on this, or is it just another white elephant like the click and collect for the Market?
Is this a sensible way of spending our Council Tax?
I think I saw credit card slots on the machine, so presumably the user does pay for getting their car charged.
Old 14-04-2015, 09:05   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't think it will be free to charge an electric vehicle.......I am sure ther was a card slot on the charger.....now whether you have to pay by credit card...or whether you can get a sort of 'top up' card I'm not sure...but I very much doubt that this facility will be free.
a labour councilor and a labour MP were reading the very long winded discussion on facebook and neither quashed the thought that it was free electricity but hey its not like labour are in control around here so how can they be expected to know.....(sarcasm)

either way regardless of the excuse that it was a government grant its still money sourced from the public in one way or another and a waste of money at that.

if the council put as much effort into improving the the town rather than looking for exotic ways to waste money and get their faces in the paper the town may improve

i dont know it may be a good thing especially if i can catch a drunk or smackhead asking it for spare change then at least it would get liked on youtube or facebook

cops moving next door to greggs and a car charger .Is it coincidence theres an election near?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 14-04-2015 at 09:08.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 09:59   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Will it end up similar to the super loo saga? No-one uses it so, to save money the Council have it removed only to find they have a contract saying they will have to pay three years rent?
I'm 95% sure the cost of that particular saving was in the region of £20,000, is this history repeating itself?
E.G. let's not learn from our mistakes let's just make them in a more expensive manner.

One thing for certain, I ain't buying a 'green' car just so I can plug it in, in a deserted town centre.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 10:43   #20
God Member

if there was enough cars to justify this thing or the prospect of there been enough in the near future the margram garage would have one as would most petrol stations including ASDA

there was a family car on top gear that ran on hydrogen which is genuinely clean fuel and if they take off this thing is going to be even more pointless

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 14-04-2015, 11:14   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

there was a family car on top gear that ran on hydrogen which is genuinely clean fuel and if they take off this thing is going to be even more pointless
Only one problem- where does the hydrogen come from?
By splitting water into oxygen and hydrogen.
How do you do that?
By using the same electricity used for electric cars-produced by coal, gas, oil, nuclear( and on a windy day, not too windy, a little bit from the super expensive turbines).

The final result may seem like clean energy but it's not clean or efficient.

We've a long way to go before we find a true source of clean energy.
Balbus, Gremlin and Alan Varrechia like this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 14-04-2015 at 11:23.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 13:25   #22
God Member

well at least 2 folk in hyndburn will be happy.Im sure theres more but im guessing they have the sense to charge their vehicles before use and wont rely on having to use the one in town center

but theres no such thing as bad publicity even a stupid stunt with no relativity to the towns problems can get your pic in the paper and all that matters near election time is a big smile plastered where plenty can see it

Old 14-04-2015, 15:43   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Does anyone really care?
They haven't finished the install yet. I'd expect the road signage to be changed and anything not being charge will hopefully be towed away but I won't hold my breath as most offences by cars appear to be ignored in Hyndburn
I would think that any signage would have to be enforceable by law, otherwise they cannot tow a car away - surely that be theft of a motor vehicle?
Old 14-04-2015, 21:27   #24

Electric cars are that useless Nissan have stopped making them,the batteries cost approx. £6000 to replace and some manufacturers have started leasing the batteries to you to try to sell their cars.At the moment until the technology is vastly improved don't even think of buying electric,they will suffer the same fate as 3 wheelers, extinction.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 08:35   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack preston View Post
Electric cars are that useless Nissan have stopped making them,the batteries cost approx. £6000 to replace and some manufacturers have started leasing the batteries to you to try to sell their cars.At the moment until the technology is vastly improved don't even think of buying electric,they will suffer the same fate as 3 wheelers, extinction.
If thats the case jack, i can see the connection to H.B.C.
Old 15-04-2015, 08:50   #26
Senior Member+

I noticed a charging point outside a business premises ( former terrace property) at the end of Atlas street on Dill Hall Lane.
I wonder if one of the stipulations of having a grant for installing them and running electric cars is that anybody else can plug in for a quick charge.
Old 15-04-2015, 09:00   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack preston View Post
Is that your personal opinion from owning one?
Old 15-04-2015, 12:53   #28
God Member

people who have them swear by them until the battery starts to diminish and then they sell them to a sucker on ebay lol

one day they will get it right but they havnt yet

Last edited by accyman; 15-04-2015 at 12:55.
Old 16-04-2015, 05:04   #29

The thing with electric vehicles is that people complain that there isn't an infrastructure in place to charge them otherwise they might consider one.

If you have an electric car you might consider shopping in Accrington, free parking and somewhere to top your car back up, I doubt it will be free usually a company like Ecotricity charges you through a card system but it generally equates to 2p a mile.

I was quite sceptical of electric cars but I now drive a Nissan Leaf as a company car and for me personally it saves me quite a bit of money because I only use it to work and back and I can charge it free there.

The problem with the cars as far as I can see is residual values because people are sceptical and also the expensive batteries which someone has mentioned so the second hand market is still difficult for these cars.

As far as New cars go the Nissan Dealer where I work was selling a New Leaf for under £200 a month on a 2 year PCP contract in March which when you take your fuel bill out of the equation isn't bad for a 25k car. I know you don't own it etc but it takes away the worry of any residual and several people from Accrington did purchase one.

Like I said previously I was quite sceptical myself but I think it's one way city/town cars might go in the future.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 05:28   #30

Sorry another obvious problem is the range of these cars currently around 100 miles this should improve with newer models to around 200 miles this is why charging points are important and the infrastructure needs building up.

If anyone is interested in an electric car you really need off street parking to charge it at night but if anyone wants to try one we have a demo car you can have for up to 4 days to see what you think.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..