Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 12:19   #1
God Member

electric wheelchairs

Do the drivers of electric wheelchairs get any driving instruction or test?
Sky News - Disabled Buggy Driver On Drink-Drive Charge
Sky News - Woman Crashes Mobility Scooter Through Train
These are just 2 recent incidents.

I have deformed toes and my foot was run over by a mobile wheelchair user in Argos!!! - that raises another question - do they have 3rd party insurance?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2007, 12:32   #2
Senior Member+

Re: electric wheelchairs

You shouldnt laugh should you.

Im not laughing .......

.........honest !
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:40   #3
Beacon of light

I would never trust my Ma with one of those....for a kick off she doesn't know her right from her left!.......And anyway i can't see her cruising down Riley's hill in one of those things.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:48   #4
Senior Member+

Who remembers that advert a few years ago, the lady on the electric shopper who bumped into the stack of cans ?

Seriously its the ones who insist on driving their mobility scooters in the middle of the road at 4mph are the ones who are dangerous. We have a few of them around here.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:51   #5
Resting in Peace

I am sure they would rather not be in a wheel chair... full stop:

No people in chairs do not have to take a test ( but hey I am sure the powers that be could bring one into place)

and maybe even put a little bit of tax on them....

and no you don't have to have insurance... again another way to make money by insisting that they do:

Its flipping hard work trying to get around the shops if you can't walk and need to use a chair... the shops don't make it easy with display stands all over the place:

Also it is much easier for people to move out of the way.... rather than the person in the chair go round you:

Maybe people that can walk .... should take a test and have insurance:..
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:57   #6
Senior Member+

My friend had one, hes had a top speed off 8mph. He had to get insurance on his for public liability just incase he ran somebody over in his.
Have you felt the weight of the big ones, they weigh a ton and would easily break somebodys leg if they ran into you.
Old 05-06-2007, 13:01   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post

Also it is much easier for people to move out of the way.... rather than the person in the chair go round you:
I was standing still looking at the catalogue on the desk - she just reversed over me and didnt even say sorry!

It is much easier for people with disabilities to meet their shopping needs via the internet. I do most of the time. It is good that they do not need to be housebound but some concern should be given to who is and is not capable of using them SAFELY

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 13:03   #8
Senior Member+

Not to mention that there are a lot of disabled people who still use their own two feet that cant get out of the way quick enough.
Old 05-06-2007, 13:15   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
do they have 3rd party insurance?
They can obtain Insurance, and its not that dear really.

Quote:
and no you don't have to have insurance... again another way to make money by insisting that they do:

Its not about making money is about covering Third Party Injury or Damage.

People who walk, are insured if they have contents Insurance. (see a Household Contents Policy)
Old 05-06-2007, 13:49   #10
Resting in Peace

The same can be said about people that use shopping trollies... and prams not to mention double buggies.... oh and walking sticks...

the shops could make life easy by not blocking the way too many shops to name, do this and its really hard work:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 14:01   #11
Beacon of light

Quote:
I am sure they would rather not be in a wheel chair... full stop:

No people in chairs do not have to take a test ( but hey I am sure the powers that be could bring one into place)

and maybe even put a little bit of tax on them....

Its flipping hard work trying to get around the shops if you can't walk and need to use a chair... the shops don't make it easy with display stands all over the place:

That is SO true.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 15:00   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
The same can be said about people that use shopping trollies... and prams not to mention double buggies.... oh and walking sticks...
Not really, all the above would cause no where near the amount of damage a electric wheel chair would.

Plus you dont see many people with trollies making you walk in the road as they think they have the right of way. and Prams they are controlled by a Third Party and are much more manouvarable. (SP)
Old 05-06-2007, 15:09   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
If I buy an electric car can I drive around on the footpath with no licence and no insurance then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies View Post
You shouldnt laugh should you.

Im not laughing .......

.........honest !
With your recent driving mishap I don't think you can laugh at anyone else.
Old 05-06-2007, 15:47   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If I buy an electric car can I drive around on the footpath with no licence and no insurance then?

With your recent driving mishap I don't think you can laugh at anyone else.
Its called humour Neil. And if you read the links, non was severly hurt. Also like to add that i have been the butt of many a joke about my accident and i take it on the chin as its meant to be.
Old 05-06-2007, 19:39   #15
Resident Waffler

A friend of ours had an electric wheelchair, she ran over my daughter's foot - who said a rather loud "Ouch!" - then she promptly reversed and ran over it again! Daughter couldn't have got out of the way as there wasn't much manouevering room in the corridor where they were. Nothing broken though.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..