Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2008, 14:40   #1
God Member

Empty commercial property

Empty commercial property - we have quite a bit of that round here.
I was surprised to read this today-
Buildings destroyed after rate relief is abolished - Business News, Business - The Independent
This is a change that Darling introduced in April this year that has had no publicity until now.
Abolition of business rate relief means that many commercial landlords are demolishing empty commercial premises rather than pay for premises they can't find a tenant for.

The implications could be far reaching - local business parks will reduce in size and so will not have the facilities to attract any new business.

Whilst some old industrial buildings are eyesores and we would be better off without them - eg the old mill on Stonebridge Lane (now we know why it got burn down) there are others constructed in better times to attract businesses and employment, which wont be there for when times get better again.

It seems like another ill thought out tax grab plan has not been thought through

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2008, 14:55   #2
God Member

Re: Empty commercial property

Just found more here-
Property Taxation: Commercial property industry condemns 'stealth taxes' - Tax, Money - The Independent

This applies to Retail premises too-
There may come a time when there are so many empty shops in the Arndale that the owner may decide to demolish it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 16:34   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Empty commercial property - we have quite a bit of that round here.
I was surprised to read this today-
Buildings destroyed after rate relief is abolished - Business News, Business - The Independent
This is a change that Darling introduced in April this year that has had no publicity until now.
Abolition of business rate relief means that many commercial landlords are demolishing empty commercial premises rather than pay for premises they can't find a tenant for.

The implications could be far reaching - local business parks will reduce in size and so will not have the facilities to attract any new business.

Whilst some old industrial buildings are eyesores and we would be better off without them - eg the old mill on Stonebridge Lane (now we know why it got burn down) there are others constructed in better times to attract businesses and employment, which wont be there for when times get better again.

It seems like another ill thought out tax grab plan has not been thought through
Since when did this shower think anything through before implimentation, when ever Labour back benchers here of a new policy they cause a stink then Gordy and Ally have to start jumping through hoops trying to give sweateners to placate their own rebels
Old 13-08-2008, 16:43   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Since when did this shower think anything through before implimentation, when ever Labour back benchers here of a new policy they cause a stink then Gordy and Ally have to start jumping through hoops trying to give sweateners to placate their own rebels
The above was a public announcement broadcast on behalf of the ever caring, ever thinking ahead, Conservative Party.

P.S. I for one admire the alternative plans his party has foresight to put forward on this subject.

(Lets be honest, neither major party has any solutions so instead of just knocking for knockings sake, why can't the sensible ones from these groups get together and propose solutions instead of blaming each other?).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 16:58   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The above was a public announcement broadcast on behalf of the ever caring, ever thinking ahead, Conservative Party.

P.S. I for one admire the alternative plans his party has foresight to put forward on this subject.

(Lets be honest, neither major party has any solutions so instead of just knocking for knockings sake, why can't the sensible ones from these groups get together and propose solutions instead of blaming each other?).
You are havin a laugh Less, get togeher and propose solutions, yes it makes sense to me and you, but it will never happen until hell freezes over
Old 17-08-2008, 07:30   #6

Earlier this year I found the ideal premises for a business I run. The rent was affordable but the business rate were nearly half as much again and then there was the VAT

consequently i am still working from home and will continue to do so

I I had moved in to premises I would have taken on a secretary/PA as it is I now out source this work to someone else who works from home!
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 09:32   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Earlier this year I found the ideal premises for a business I run. The rent was affordable but the business rate were nearly half as much again and then there was the VAT

consequently i am still working from home and will continue to do so

I I had moved in to premises I would have taken on a secretary/PA as it is I now out source this work to someone else who works from home!
A lot of working girls seem to go for that option, though they call their secretary a maid.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 14:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
A lot of working girls seem to go for that option, though they call their secretary a maid.

That remark is offensive by implications and clearly shows the level of your interlect
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 14:20   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
That remark is offensive by implications and clearly shows the level of your interlect
what does the fact that you can't spell intellect show?

pretty funny really and shows that you dont know Garinda at all........I'd like to see you two go head to head!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 15:38   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The smiley indicated that it was a joke.

I never suggested you were a 'working girl', as I assume most of them would actually need a sense of humour, to cope in that line of work.

As Emmamum23 subsequently pointed out, it might actually help if you could spell the word intellect, before passing judgement on mine.

You might be lacking in the sense of humour department...but you've certainly made me laught out loud.

Old 17-08-2008, 19:46   #11

Garinda I have to agree with Polly,you need to know someone pretty well to make that kind of comment.
However, a simple, genuine apology wouldn't hurt!
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 19:49   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post
Garinda I have to agree with Polly,you need to know someone pretty well to make that kind of comment.
However, a simple, genuine apology wouldn't hurt!
Appology accepted.

Old 17-08-2008, 19:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Appology accepted.

Made me laugh,but i'm not Polly.
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 20:00   #14
God Member

The smiley indicates the remark was made in jest Seems some people are quite good at insulting others but quick to take insult where none is intended
Old 17-08-2008, 21:38   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
what does the fact that you can't spell intellect show?

pretty funny really and shows that you dont know Garinda at all........I'd like to see you two go head to head!
It shows she needs a maid
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..