Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2008, 23:01   #16
God Member

Re: End Of Term School Parties

I know its not primary school, but my eldest has just left secondary and they had a leavers do at mitton fold and he went in his tuxedo in a green camper van They also had a leavers mass (catholic school) and at the end of it they had loads of photos on the big screen of their time through secondary school... He's just got the DVD of the mass and leavers ball and we had a good laugh at all the pics, its amazing how much they have grown up since year 7 to now

Oh yeah and he went on a 5 day trip to barcelona after his exams had finished and he had officially left school

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2008, 20:25   #17
Passed away 25-11-09

When I left Paddock House School, nearly 50 years ago (Dear God!!!! ) it was just a case of "Bye, everybody. Keep in touch" (and who did?) and a lecture from the headmistress. Now, my friend's granddaughter has just left High School with a stretch limo to the prom and a very expensive dress.

Our Laura goes to the same primary school her mum, my younger daughter, went to. When Nik was there, over 20 years ago, there was nothing much to mark the end of the school year. Now, 2 head-teachers later, I have been, this evening, to the 2nd night of the Juniors' musical play - all about conservation and recycling, global warming etc., - the message was hammered home , and it was brilliant (Laura had a speaking part as an apple, imported from California, on a shelf in M & S). Tomorrow is the end-of-year party and she's taking a load of crisps and her strapless "prom" dress, from BHS, to change into.

I think it's great.
Old 16-07-2008, 20:35   #18
God Member

There were no parties when I left Accrington High school, and I didn't keep in contact with school friends, mainly because they went into the 6th form and I didn't.

I was amazed that, years later, one of the 'girls' had taken the trouble and tracked down 90% of the girls in our year. We had a reunion on the 50th anniversary of our starting year, and we have had one every five years since - the next one booked for September this year.

Every time, numbers have decreased - some had died, some lived too far away or were too ill to travel, so this time I expect there to be less than a dozen attending. Some 'girls' travelled from remote parts of Uk staying locally overnight.

I hope to make it because it will probably be the last.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 15:41   #19
Loz

I loved my leavers do when i left High School!
We all got dressed up and went to The Dunkenhalgh.
We all had a lovely meal and a disco and it was a great way to say goodbye and thanks to the teachers.
I think it would be sad if pupils missed out on something like this.
Old 17-07-2008, 15:57   #20
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There were no parties when I left Accrington High school, and I didn't keep in contact with school friends, mainly because they went into the 6th form and I didn't.
Exactly like me. I did meet a couple of them afterwards but then we just sort of lost contact as they went on to greater things and I stayed here.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 16:23   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
I know its not primary school, but my eldest has just left secondary and they had a leavers do at mitton fold and he went in his tuxedo in a green camper van They also had a leavers mass (catholic school) and at the end of it they had loads of photos on the big screen of their time through secondary school... He's just got the DVD of the mass and leavers ball and we had a good laugh at all the pics, its amazing how much they have grown up since year 7 to now

Oh yeah and he went on a 5 day trip to barcelona after his exams had finished and he had officially left school
We had a leaving do when we left St Christopher's in 1994.

We went to Mytton Fold at Langho......isn't it lovely for photos?

Of course, it wasn't like it is today. We just had a bath, washed our hair, put our glad rags on and our mums dropped us off and picked us up.

These days girls are having prom dresses that are like wedding dresses, spending all day in a salon primping and preening......spray tans, false nails, elaborate hair do etc.

They get picked up in a stretch limo like Madonna......all a bit much in my opinion.
Old 17-07-2008, 16:30   #22
God Member

Does anyone view this as another money grab .... a simple, and not really all that important rite of passage that now requires expensive clothing, cards, gifts and stretch limos .... and in certain parts of our country, particularly in smaller towns and villages, the almost inevitable alcohol fueled accidents.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 17:13   #23
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Does anyone view this as another money grab .... a simple, and not really all that important rite of passage that now requires expensive clothing, cards, gifts and stretch limos .... and in certain parts of our country, particularly in smaller towns and villages, the almost inevitable alcohol fueled accidents.
Thats a rather cynical view!
Like i said we all had a great time,it wasn't compulsory so you didn't have to fork out if you didn't want to.
And yes a few idiots will always spoil it for the rest but i still believe it to be a good thing.
Old 17-07-2008, 17:34   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Thats a rather cynical view!
Like i said we all had a great time,it wasn't compulsory so you didn't have to fork out if you didn't want to.
And yes a few idiots will always spoil it for the rest but i still believe it to be a good thing.
Cynicism ... maybe .... it comes with age
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 20:42   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm all for a leaving do but I think they take things too far these days.

Recently in the Telegraph there have been photos of 4 and 5 year olds complete with mortar boards and scrolls 'graduating' from nursery to primary school.

What next?

Photos from the maternity ward of new born babies with mortar boards on in place of wooly hats with scrolls tucked into their blankets showing their 'graduation' from the womb?
Old 17-07-2008, 20:46   #26
God Member

My grandaughter is moving to Hollins this time and we went to Woodnook this morning for the leavers treat. They did a lovely little play then there was an award ceremony with a buffet afterwards. Really enjoyed it and some of the teachers were qutie emotional
Old 17-07-2008, 20:50   #27
Super Moderator

Leaving dos?...When I were a lad, the only "leaving do" I had was to be called into Ralph Bailey's office to be told "mark my words, you'll come to a sticky end" and pitched out into a cold, uncaring world.

Kids today don't know they're born!
Old 17-07-2008, 21:01   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

undecided on this, think a party/dance fer leaving aint a bad thing, thing about these fancy proms, may divide kids, ok fer parents who have the dosh, those who are hard up, may be pushed into debt to pay fer the bloody thing, so the kid don't miss out, so therefore ya may get kids who reckon look at them posh sods, n become envious, teenagers are funny animals. so think the Prom idea is a bit of a no-no fer me.
Old 17-07-2008, 21:06   #29
God Member

Agree think some parents will really struggle and feel that they have to find the money somewhere, it is over the top.
Old 17-07-2008, 21:08   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Agree think some parents will really struggle and feel that they have to find the money somewhere, it is over the top.
yeh but the society "Thatcher" created won't give a toss.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..