Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2008, 21:31   #31
God Member

Re: End Of Term School Parties

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh but the society "Thatcher" created won't give a toss.
Yep you are probably right
Old 17-07-2008, 21:34   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Does anyone view this as another money grab .... a simple, and not really all that important rite of passage that now requires expensive clothing, cards, gifts and stretch limos .... and in certain parts of our country, particularly in smaller towns and villages, the almost inevitable alcohol fueled accidents.

I agree with you mate.

Whats more by making it such a big thing, leaving one school to go to another or maybe University you add stress and worry onto the kids. When I left school you just walked out the door and that was that.
Old 17-07-2008, 21:57   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yep it is just a money grab, like halloween, imported from the yanks, nowt to do wi them though, just the money grabbing, get rich quick artists that latch on to these "NEW" ways.
Old 17-07-2008, 22:09   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep it is just a money grab, like halloween, imported from the yanks, nowt to do wi them though, just the money grabbing, get rich quick artists that latch on to these "NEW" ways.
The halloween thing did strike me as a little odd. When I lived over there ... admittedly, it's a long time ago: we still had our milk and coal delivered by horse and wagon .... I can't remember doing too much on halloween, and attending All Saint's, I think I should have noticed. I remember bonfire night (which has probably been replaced by something safe, that doesn't offend Catholics) ... but halloween, can't really say I remember it as anything special.

But we do have proms, which helps out guys like my friend Donny, who has limos ... and the restaurants etc. It's a big money grab; but what the hell, everyone gets laid and drunk, and, hopefully everyone gets home safe and sound.

On the other hand, it is an important event for the young people, many of whom will be leaving for University in far away places .... (except in England which is too small to have faraway places) .... some friedships which have lasted thro' elementary and high school will come to an end, or at least not be as close any more.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 22:12   #35
God Member

Oh, and if you are tired of importing things from our rambunctious neighbours to the south, may I suggest celebrating Victoria Day on May 24, (not a good one for the anti-royals tho) or Canada Day, July 1 ... bbqs, fireworks, drinking and eating to excess .... only problem is, it is customary to fly the maple leaf, which is something a lot of us do all the year round.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 12:55   #36
God Member

well this is what Reece thought about his last ever day at Intack Primary School

he's the one in white, he couldnt run fast enough
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0526.jpg (24.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 18-07-2008, 15:33   #37

Aww Sam was heartbroken. They walked out of the nursery door, and she had held it together till then. The whole class was hearbroken. Sam got in the car and told me she didn't want to leave.

They have all got a framed scroll with there names on, detailing what has happened on 18th July in years gone by, a dvd of the play they did, they have personal messages wishes them well from all the teachers.

It's the end of an era. But she will enjoy High School I'm sure of that.
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 15:36   #38
God Member

Reece got none of that Gail, they got a medal each yesterday and that was it, i'm so glad he is out of that school.

I was talking to a few of the parents today and the amount of people who are taking their kids out of Intack this year is unbelievable, even one of the governors is taking his youngest son out and putting him in a school in Ossy
Old 18-07-2008, 16:04   #39

Thats a shame Flashy. Sams school is like an extended family. They really made a fuss of the year 6 that were leaving all this past week. We had a special assembly yesterday for them, as well as a mass today.

Best wishes to Reece at High School. He will notice a big difference as not all schools are that uncaring!
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 22:23   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
At the end of every school year at Intack they used to have a party for each class, now with the end of term fast approaching i noticed that we hadnt had any letters about the food we should be sending in for the usual party.
I rang school in a very curious mood this morning and i asked the secretary, she said they had no plans to have any parties this year, and i asked 'well what about the year 6's who are leaving?' she said nothing at all had been mentioned about it, at this point i wasnt happy, she said she's ask the deputy head about it and get back to me

now to me an end of term party kind of puts a closier to the school year, and a total closier to the kids who are leaving for secondary school, since this new headmistress has taken over at intack several people have taken their kids out of school because of her flippant attitude towards the kids.

its not as if the parties are costing the school any money, all the parents provie the food and drinks

are your kids having an end of term party?
BLOODY TYPICAL
Since my 2 have been at Belthorn, each class has had a party.
With Jack being yr 6 they went on a residential trip last week to Lower Mill, then this week they have gone out for a meal with all the staff,and today they had leavers assembly and of course toy day today !!
I think it depends on the school & their standards
howarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 22:27   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
Reece got none of that Gail, they got a medal each yesterday and that was it, i'm so glad he is out of that school.

I was talking to a few of the parents today and the amount of people who are taking their kids out of Intack this year is unbelievable, even one of the governors is taking his youngest son out and putting him in a school in Ossy
Yeh i cudnt beleive it when S told me !! ( well i can ) Ive nw got to take T to school in the morning in sep as well as bring him home !!
Old 18-07-2008, 22:35   #42

[quote=forceten;608584]Thats a shame Flashy. Sams school is like an extended family. They really made a fuss of the year 6 that were leaving all this past week. We had a special assembly yesterday for them, as well as a mass today.
All the yr 6 did a performance at the assembly and sang " schools out for summer " lol then they got presented with a dictionary from the head & govener ! then they did the "traditional belthorn paraid round the school being clapped and cheered by staff kids and parents !!
It was VERY EMOTIONAL & TOUCHING
emm's going again........ gone for the tissues lol............. H

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..