Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 13:58   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Endearments

It depends who utters the endearment.

There used to be a checkout woman of about 20 something at KwikSave in Blackburn (it’s not there anymore) who called me ‘cock’ and that used to rankle. I could accept the term from someone older than me but not from her. In fact she aggrannoyed (aggravated and annoyed combined) me so much I would not use her checkout even if it were empty. I think that other older people must have felt the same because she rarely had more than one or two customers at a time, that I saw.

I’m with you on names Debbie J. But it is not being too ignorant to answer. I mean how can you answer if someone is trying to attract your attention by using a name that is not yours?

I don’t like strangers calling me mate or pal. I’m not their mate or pal. I’ve never seen them before so how could I be. As for ‘bud’ I’m not growing on a tree or out of the soil.

James Buckley is my name with or without Mister but I respond to James, Jim, Jimmy or Buckley. I will also respond to my Internet username of jambutty but not to lazy variations.
Old 04-08-2006, 14:05   #17
God Member

Re: Endearments

Well I will continue to call men mate and women luv cus it just pops out without thinking..... but if i meet someone and don't know there name and want to say somehting.. what should I use?... When I say mate for example its usually part of "thanks mate" or "seeya mate" and is meant friendly..

How on earth can people get so upset or insulted at what is so obviously intended to be friendly ? I mean if something meant friendly upsets you then you may need to seriously think about stopping in more....as apposed to getting out more
Old 04-08-2006, 16:09   #18
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I don't mind endearments from people who I know. From strangers....... I suppose it depends what it is. i don't like 'mate' from someone I don't know. The one endearment that I hate is 'flower,' I am the least flowery person ever.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 16:12   #19
God Member

Lettie you really shouldnt have put that on accyweb then... You just know whats gonna happen now.. nxt meet or whatever
Old 04-08-2006, 16:14   #20
God Member

If I can't call you luv and I cant call you flower.... Can I call you in the morning ?

hehe the old ones or the best.... and I am old
Old 04-08-2006, 16:15   #21
Passed away 25-11-09

I object to any of them if it's said to me by someone I don't know well.

In Durham the usual word is "pet" and sometimes "hinney" but in shops you are nearly always addressed as sir or madam. When I used to visit friends in Liverpool, in my teens, you heard people (mainly men) call each other "whacker" but I haven't heard it for years, its "mate" now.
Old 04-08-2006, 16:15   #22
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Endearments

If someone calls me flower and I stand up when they do, does that make me self raising flower.
Old 04-08-2006, 17:31   #23
I am Banned

i dont like it when peopel call me " u wanna pint chav " so remember at the next meet if you want to bug me just call me that
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 17:34   #24
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
If I can't call you luv and I cant call you flower.... Can I call you in the morning ?

hehe the old ones or the best.... and I am old
Hehehehe......Deary me!!!!!! Seeing as it's you Kipax, you can call me whatever you like.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 18:27   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Hehehehe......Deary me!!!!!! Seeing as it's you Kipax, you can call me whatever you like.
I nearly fell off me chair then (giggle giggle) .. is whatsisname reading this ?
Old 04-08-2006, 19:09   #26
God Member

Hows about if someone walks up to you in the street and says hello sexy.

Only on here kipax, I seem to be quite good at reading peoples regional dialects and saying, and placing whereabouts they are from. There's always exceptions to the rule though.
Talking of my long hair the girl in the cake shop likes it, I had it tucked in my t shirt, and she thought I'd had it cut. I walks in with a bunch of flowers and she asks if they are for her, and instead of saying wouldn't your bf get jelous, so I can find out if she's single, I just said no it's my mums birthday. I'm just crap with words, I'll be single for ever at this rate.

There's a girl on the chat room calls everybody pet, she's from durham, bloomin annoyin she is.
I should say that I only find the annoying, not offensive because as you say kipax, they aren't meant that way.
Also kipax is a town in yorkshire.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody

Last edited by Madhatter; 04-08-2006 at 19:16.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 19:16   #27
God Member

When next in the cake shop... ask her if you can have a roll with a little honey
Old 04-08-2006, 19:18   #28
God Member

I need to aske her something, if she's not single or not interested then at least I'll know. I wouldn't want to end up with someone lese if there's a chance, long black hair, fantastic blue eyes, mmmmmmmm. she can be my love anyday.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 21:44   #29
God Member

must admit when i met my first hubby in yorkshire and he came up to me and said ey up duck i was really offended then found out everyone said it to male or female ...must say i still say it myself now sometimes and im not from yorkshire and i get some weird looks
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 22:40   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I need to aske her something, if she's not single or not interested then at least I'll know. I wouldn't want to end up with someone lese if there's a chance, long black hair, fantastic blue eyes, mmmmmmmm. she can be my love anyday.
You need to ask her if she'll show you her buns - see what sort of reaction you get.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..