Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 11:07   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Endearments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
The one endearment that I hate is 'flower,' I am the least flowery person ever.
Well, at least it is the Full Monty Lettie, feel shortchanged now .. only getting 'Petal' now and then.

Although 'Madam' .. usually addressed to you by people in service, is polite and proper .. occasionally sounds a little patronizing. Can't explain why Love it when a French man uses it though

Are endearments of this nature just a British thing or do other countries, such as Spain have them apart from the well-used Senor/Senora? Junetta ?

Do Asians have them ? I suspect not. .

Throughout America, the use of 'Sir' and 'Ma'am' is well-used, even by the younger person .. probably still use it before they are about to shoot ya' too. (Only joking). After Honey and Buddie, can't think of any more out there.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2006, 11:26   #32
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Endearments

Petal? That phrase was used a lot by that Yorkshire African comedian Charlie something in that great half hour show The Comedians on ITV I think way, way back. He was the best of the bunch, not that the others were bad. They were all extremely funny and as far from PC a you could get.

I think that it were the thick Yorkshire accent coming out of a smiling black face that made him even funnier. Wasn’t he called Charlie White?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:30   #33
Resting in Peace

Jambutty you are thinking of Charlie Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charlie.jpg (37.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Mick; 05-08-2006 at 11:36.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:44   #34
Apprentice Geriatric

Much obliged Mick. I remember now. He had an imaginary friend called Chalky White.

I feel a search for a Charlie Williams CD coming on. He is a certain cure for the blues.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:45   #35
Resting in Peace

Er was Chalky White not a friend of Jim davidson ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:08   #36
Apprentice Geriatric

Yes he was but I’m sure that CW often referred to a friend called Chalky. Maybe it’s me going bonkers?

However I’ve tracked down a DVD of The Comedians at Tesco for £7.99 + £1.64 pp. Delivery on Tuesday.
Old 05-08-2006, 20:07   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex

Do Asians have them ? I suspect not. .
I've been told that if you're a chap you call any young man 'brother' and any older man 'uncle' but I don't know what women do!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 20:54   #38
Accy Goddess

It was Charlie Williams. He is one of the funniest if not thee funiest Comedian ever.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:19   #39
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I call all women "Luv" and all blokes "Mate".. When I was asking the Arsenal ladies team to pose for pics after they won the cup on wed night I got some very odd looks when I said over here Luv or thanks luv or smile luv ...... I guess its not used that much down souf
Yes it is Kipax, I was always addressed as "mate" down souf and women are often addressed as "luv" or "love" but those ladies that are "up market" which includes my late wife resent people who are "too familiar!" although I do think they like it on the quiet (Thats being called love, not err, you know, the other - - - )

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..