Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 12:30   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Energy Prices Coming Down - Hurray!

British Gas, or should that be Gritish Bas, has declared that they are bringing down their energy prices from March 2007 and for those who take electricity and gas from BG they could benefit by up to £170 per year. Good news.

Powergen have immediately jumped in with a similar intent and no doubt other suppliers will follow suit.

By a strange coincidence I received a letter from Powergen this morning informing me that I could sign up to fixed energy prices right through to 1st April 2010. This ‘price protection’ will only be available for a short period but it doesn’t state how short. Neither does it state at what level will the price protection start. That is whether it will be at today’s rates or those that come into force after 1st March.

A quick FREE phone to Powergen resolved that point. First of all this price protection malarkey attracts a slightly higher rate than the standard rate and as I have just been informed it will protect the prices as they are TODAY.

Nice try Powergen but some us haven’t just climbed down from the nearest tree. Sadly though some people will get caught out.

The moral of this tale is “If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is” and check before being taken in.
Old 08-02-2007, 18:51   #2
Yank in King Art's Court!

Re: Energy Prices Coming Down - Hurray!

Aye jambutty, the current energy price cycle has been down these last few months. Due to the last couple of years of high prices, a rather hefty glut of natural gas, gasoline, and oil has resulted. I believe, due to recent activity, you'll see a short spike in the gas markets in the next few weeks:

The fickleness of this market can be seen just in the last couple of weeks of very cold weather across much of the States. The price of a barrel of oil has risen almost $10 back to almost $60 a barrel. Natural gas prices have been up and down 2 - 3% every other day, at least over here, in the Commodity Markets.

I believe most of this current rise is due to the herd mentality of these markets. Investors are trying to cover short positions and mutual fund managers don't want to miss out on commodity prices rising. Hence they're all buying and driving up the prices of commodities who's supply has not been greatly affected by the current conditions.

I sold my natural gas shares a bit early (we weren't "supposed" to get this much cold weather), but would be uncomfortable with holding in an emotionally driven uprise.

Things should stablize if weather warms up and world events stay neutral.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 19:45   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

what about NPower? they reducing as well?........probably not
Old 08-02-2007, 19:46   #4
I am Banned

no matter what they do people on meters will still get screwed
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 22:41   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Energy Prices Coming Down - Hurray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
no matter what they do people on meters will still get screwed
What do you mean?

Everyone is on a meter in one way or another.
Old 08-02-2007, 23:52   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
What do you mean?

Everyone is on a meter in one way or another.
When someone is away and the minimum that is put in the card meter dosnt cover the standing charges you are being screwed.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 14:08   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Energy Prices Coming Down - Hurray!

Anyone on a card meter has always been screwed because the rates for card meters are the highest.

There are no standing charges for quarterly payments or DD.
Old 09-02-2007, 14:11   #8
God Member

Someone I know found that out the hard way but as they are not working the card meter was the option they took.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 15:08   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Energy Prices Coming Down - Hurray!

It’s wrong that the people with severely limited income or the inability to manage what they have are forced into using card meters when that is the most expensive option.

If you think about it a card meter means that the energy company get their money before supplying the energy yet they have the nerve to charge more for it. If anything the card meter should be the cheapest option or at least the same as the quarterly rates.

Once in a while I have not received my quarterly bill and wouldn’t have got it if I hadn’t rang Powergen to ask where it was. “Well we’ve sent it” is the usual response and then by a strange coincidence I get a red bill a couple of days later. I have to force them to send me a proper bill and stop all this ‘you haven’t paid’ nonsense.

Are they angling to force me into having a card meter because of the apparent default in settling my account? An unequivocal yes they are.
Old 09-02-2007, 15:23   #10
I am Banned

Thats my gripe with these companies with regard to card meters, mind u same said for anyone paying as they go, for some unknown reason they actively encourage debt & its the cheaper option whereas paying up front or as u go only benefits the company - plus the card meter actually cuts down on pester bills & reminders, so no extra staff needed or cost involved - so why do they ahve to charge so much
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 15:24   #11
I am Banned

Be ok if u got your correct meter put in on time as the parlavour i had early this week
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 16:57   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Be ok if u got your correct meter put in on time as the parlavour i had early this week
I've got that next week if I can B n E the external cupboard which no one has the key for alledgely. Mine is due to change under time constraint or something like that. Well so they say anyway. 08:00 to 20:00 so tuns of comp time as I aint at work.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..