Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2006, 15:36   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking England Day

A country’s national day should be a day that remembers a day of significant importance to the country and the all the citizens. The Americans have the 4th July as Independence Day where they celebrate the throwing off of the English shackles. Shackles is a euphemism for taxes.

England has NOTHING! Why? Do we not deserve a national day to celebrate that we are English?

The Irish have St Patrick’s day, the Welsh have St David’s day and the Scottish have St Andrew’s day but all have religious overtones and so would St George’s day for the English if we (the English) adopted 23rd April as our national day.

However, in a recent poll most people chose Magna Carta day as a national holiday and I agree with the choice over and above suggestions such as St George’s day, Battle of Britain day, Remembrance day etc.

When the Magna Carta was signed it changed the lives of all citizens or it would have done had King John and the Barons honoured their intentions.

15th June should be a national holiday to replace May Day because that has communist overtones.

An extremely short history lesson.

Runnymede Meadows, 15th June 1215. King John meets the Barons and agrees the Great Charter. Contrary to popular belief there was no need for extra time or a penalty shoot out. The Barons won fair and square in normal time.

I doubt if the Magna Carta meant much to the common man (don’t you just hate that phrase?) at the time. We were still serfs. However, it was a statement of fundamental rights making all 'freemen' bound by the law. Sadly it took several hundred years to trickle down the class hierarchy and even then was mutated and changed to favour the aristocracy, upper and ruling classes.

All 63 clauses can be found at www.britannia.com/history/magna2.html

I used to hate History at school but now in my dotage I find it fascinating. It must be an age thing.
Old 30-05-2006, 16:18   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: England Day

sorry jambutty cannot agree about mayday being replaced that was actually voted on where i used to work cos management wanted to change it 95% said no. and there were no reds under the bed.
Old 30-05-2006, 16:28   #3
God Member

I think it should be 10th June. Madhatters day.

I don't think it's an age thing Jambutty, I think It's that it wasn't made interesting enough to us. Now we look and see things that take our interest, and we want to learn. Geography I really liked, and I got an O level, history bored me, I think I got C. Yet so much of geography has to do with history and vice versa. Geography shaped history, geography told were richard would put his his men during the war of the roses. Geography shaped the whole battle, shapes town, Geography has made accy grow in the way it has.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody

Last edited by Madhatter; 30-05-2006 at 16:37.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2006, 16:39   #4
God Member

I do think we've got too many bank holidays when the weather is cold, and all together. I still don't think remembrance day would get much support at all, it has nothing to do with england at all whatsover, that day is about remembrance and future peace.
Old 30-05-2006, 17:14   #5

Quote:
Do we not deserve a national day to celebrate that we are English?
Hell no! Are you stupid? That would be considered racist! Dont be so silly!.. English day?! More like Asian day..
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2006, 20:39   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
Hell no! Are you stupid? That would be considered racist! Dont be so silly!.. English day?! More like Asian day..
Why would it be racist? and why more like asian day?
and jambutty I'm no expert on history but I think 4th july in the USA celebrates Independance from the British,, not the English!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2006, 20:48   #7
God Member

Morgan brotherz post is sarcastic mancie. It's saying that the pc brigade would say that an English day would be racist while they probably wouldn't say an asian day would be racist.

Last edited by Madhatter; 30-05-2006 at 21:02.
Old 31-05-2006, 02:28   #8
God Member

which recent poll is this?..(However, in a recent poll most people chose Magna Carta day as a national holiday and I agree with the choice over and above suggestions such as St George’s day, Battle of Britain day, Remembrance day etc.) where do you get your info from?. sitting at home thinking up stuff?
you would be better off just putting the headphones on and rocking to SLADE ALIVE like us normal bods do.
Old 31-05-2006, 02:38   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Morgan brotherz post is sarcastic mancie. It's saying that the pc brigade would say that an English day would be racist while they probably wouldn't say an asian day would be racist.
what PC brigade? who are "they" ? its no good making statements if you can't back em up, I think the majority of people in this country would welcome a day for England, and I don't really understand why it would be regarded as racist, by who?
Old 31-05-2006, 11:16   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: England Day

Yes you are right Mancie it was the bloomin’ British as Lonnie Donegan declared in his rendition of The Battle Of New Orleans. We got wupped!

No I don’t sit at home thinking up stuff. I listen to the wireless.

If other parts of the UK can have a national day then so can the English.
Old 31-05-2006, 11:56   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nowt wrong with a national day so long as they leave mayday alone. used to have the battle of new orleans lol another record lent out and never returned,lol
Old 31-05-2006, 15:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Exactly.
Old 31-05-2006, 15:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie
what PC brigade? who are "they" ? its no good making statements if you can't back em up, I think the majority of people in this country would welcome a day for England, and I don't really understand why it would be regarded as racist, by who?
PC Brigade: Politically Correct Brigade.
Old 31-05-2006, 21:02   #14
God Member

Neither do we mancie, but there will always be people who do, which is why I say f em and just do it, same as I say to the people who say I can't fly a flag, I'd be told I'm Racist. Just Fly the flag and let them say your racist, let them tell you you have to take it down, BUT as long as it's not breaking local planning regs, and a union flag on a staff isn't, there's nothing they can do. Nothing they can do about you having a flag in your car, I have had two union flags for the last two years in the van windows, and nobody has said a word about them.
Old 02-06-2006, 15:09   #15
God Member

I was in London during the last world cup and some of the national press were reporting that London cabbies had been banned from flying the England flag on their taxis, this was completly made up rubbish! I'd say more than half of the cabs were flying the flag. If there is such a thing as the "pc brigade" then it has been invented by a press that will stick anything in thier papers to fill up the pages, but some people seem totally taken in by it all.

Oh and the bods leaving bad karma quotes at least have the guts to leave a sig! (or is it the bleedin mysterons playing up again?) LOL

Last edited by Mancie; 02-06-2006 at 15:22.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..