Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 13:47   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Enlightened a tad.

The Thursday Rag market generates more interest than the regular market, but it is still a depressing sight.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2008, 14:13   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The Thursday Rag market generates more interest than the regular market, but it is still a depressing sight.

problem is over the last 10 years there has been a great increase in cheap shops and things like furniture have beome cheaper and more affordable etc

just like the flea markets a good second hand shop is hard to find these days which is also due to new been not much more expensive than second hand

for instance a good universal remote used to cost around £10 and now you can pick one up for £1 that works fine

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 14:54   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The inside market is no better......and perhaps we could attract more traders if the price of having a stall was reduced.
No-one in their right mind would travel to see something which is such a shambles of a market.......well of course unless they were on a fact finding mission on how NOT to do it.
There was something in the paper a few weeks ago about it being refurbished. I know the empty stalls in there at the moment are advertised as being available for a maximum 6 months only and they are supposed to leave some empty so traders can be moved around. Knowing the council they will start work on it at the beginning of December.

Maybe Magpi can tell us what is happening ?
Old 10-07-2008, 15:06   #19
Resident Waffler

The outdoor market is a farce. It is so badly designed it's unbelievable. Why couldn't the whole lot be covered? On a wet day you have to dodge across from one section to the other. And as for walking round the outside, the roof could do to hang over a little further and provide more shelter, but even so you would still be getting in the way of people trying to walk past the bus stops. There isn't enough room between the stalls for people to stop and browse without preventing other people getting past. It's not a market you can stroll round so doesn't encourage spontaneous purchasing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 15:10   #20
God Member

Thank god I remeber it the way it was.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 15:25   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
dixons
Dixons actually closed all their stores and now operate exclusively as a web-only business.
Old 10-07-2008, 16:37   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Dixons actually closed all their stores and now operate exclusively as a web-only business.

they still buggered off to whitebirk though before the internet became as popular as what it is today

i would say between whitebirk ,the arndale center and HBC the three of them have destroyed what was once a thriving town center

for example

dixons and currys used to be located on broadway and i think union street possibly , all that happened was that they moved into the arndale leaving empty shops behind, they then buggered off to whitebirk leaving empty shops in the arndale and also in the town ceter and from then on all that moved in was charity shops and pound shops

once the big boys like currys, british gas ,virgin etc left town the town started to decline

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 10-07-2008 at 16:41.
Old 10-07-2008, 17:08   #23
God Member

What it the HBC? I assume that it is not the Hudson's Bay Company.
Old 10-07-2008, 17:16   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What it the HBC? I assume that it is not the Hudson's Bay Company.
Hyndburn Borough Coucil

better known as C.L.I.T because twits are associated with them

you guess the word i realy meant to type

Old 10-07-2008, 19:32   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
Hyndburn Borough Coucil

better known as C.L.I.T because twits are associated with them

you guess the word i realy meant to type

Took me a while but I guessed it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..