Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2003, 12:06   #16
Resting in Peace

Post Re: EURO

Lets just stay as we are
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2003, 16:32   #17
Accy Goddess

It was bad enough changing to Decimalisation. Dont want no more changes.  
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2003, 17:25   #18
Senior Member+

[quote author=Tealeaf link=board=general;num=1063623954;start=0#4 date=09/15/03 at 16:03:04]Hello Mik,
Stick with the Euro much longer and you lot will be bringing your wages home (that's if you've got a job )by the barrowload...[/quote]
What makes you think i have no job?Work for a company called Alcan.As to bringing the money home.I cannot complain
Old 18-09-2003, 07:28   #19
Jo

The only thing I would worry about, if I we're you, ASFC1951 is that if GB pulls put of the EU (has not been called the EC for years now), would British football clubs still be allowed to play in the UEFA and European Champions League? (just kidding!!)
Sometimes it makes we sad to hear all our conservative British "lets not change anything" points of view. I can understand it as I'm British myself and half that partly inbred too, but having travelled I've been lucky enough to create an open mind. It's just a little frustrating sometimes when you know people don't have the whole truth.
The only way to know the truth is via information, find out as much as you can, for example on internet, about the pros and cons and keep an open mind, don't start making opinions until you hear both sides, and don't start with prejudices.
I hope GB makes the right choice, whatever it is. But remember, if the pound isn't linked to the Euro, it will contunue to be linked to the dollar, so never believe that GB is independent, our future is either more American, or more European or, if some organisations and governments of the world have their way, more Arab.
The days of British colonisation are over, and British indepence is really only a theory, all nations are linked these days through the UN, trade areas etc. Britain is a small island with just around 50 million inhabitants (simiar to the sum of Afgansitan and Iraq), we are not as powerful as we think and allies are a necessity to keep afloat.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2003, 12:47   #20

I don't think that opposition to a European superstate has anything to do with the extent of your travels or whether you're conservative or not. Personally having travelled to a variety of places from Macchu Picchu to Harlem, I think my mind is as open as anyone's. But that doesn't mean it's open to accepting anything whether I think it's right or wrong.

Here's a quote - "If Britain is persuaded to join the single currency we shall, forever, have lost the right of self-government through the ballot box and all key decisions will be taken by those we did not elect and cannot remove." Those were the words of Tony Benn. Hardly a conservative (either with a big or small "c&quot.

As for the European Champions League, I doubt that Stanley will have to worry about that for a while yet!

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Jo.

ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2003, 12:56   #21
Jo

Hello ASFC1951!
Sorry meant conservative, not Conservative - had nothing to do with the political party, I simply meant that we Brits are often unwilling to accept change, ie we are conservative, it's in our nature.
Please also don't think I meant you do not have an open mind, it wasn't a statement meant personally to you, or anyone, my point was just that sometimes people are closed minded and often do not get the true info they deserve.
Regarding giving up sovereignty, I do agree with you in part, just don't know if it's a totally bad thing, as we don't have that much sovereignty anyway, we are so much influenced by what the Americans decide (eg. war in Iraq).
I'm glad we can agree to disagree, that's also nice sometimes. Thanks for that chance - didn't want to keep on arguing the point, I'm afraid I'd bore everyone. Let's say there are fors and agiansts, and we agree to disagree, OK?
Old 18-09-2003, 12:57   #22
Jo

p.s. I'll keep hoping for Stanley in the UEFA, then I can finally see them on TV here in Italy. Perhaps I should add that one to the "what are your dreams" section!
Old 18-09-2003, 13:14   #23
God Member

Stuff the Euro. Lets bring back real money - Guineas, Bobs, Tanners, farthings and ther'punny bits. It will at least teach the kids how to think.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2003, 13:23   #24

Ok, Jo, it was nice debating with you anyway. At least we can agree on Stanley!
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2003, 16:51   #25
Senior Member+

[quote author=ANNE link=board=general;num=1063623954;start=0#12 date=09/16/03 at 22:47:30]Oh, for goodness sakes Mik get a life. You seem to be getting obsessed! : : :[/quote]

Thanks Anne but i personally would prefer the word
possessed.Meant to be a joke.All light heartedly meant
Old 19-09-2003, 15:19   #26
Senior Member+

[quote author=flopsy link=board=general;num=1063623954;start=0#11 date=09/16/03 at 19:14:26]

Seems to be a bit of a contradiction here!

Or is it another "insider club? " ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Nice teeth by the way Flopsy
Old 19-09-2003, 15:20   #27
Senior Member+

[quote author=ANNE link=board=general;num=1063623954;start=0#12 date=09/16/03 at 22:47:30]Oh, for goodness sakes Mik get a life. You seem to be getting obsessed! : : :[/quote]

I do believe you are making eyes at me
Old 22-09-2003, 11:02   #28
Junior Member+

I am back over in the UK at the moment, but the € has been a disaster in Spain. Prices rocketed, not only through traders exploiting the new currency, but with the overall economic slump brought on by the €. The germans haven't got jobs, so they can't holiday, and the ones that can, don't come to spain cos its too expensive. Lets not forget, that even taking German reunification into consideration, germany since the introduction of the € has gone from the most powerful economy in Europe into a slump. Fact.
gpovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2003, 14:58   #29
Jo

Yeah. Agree with the argument about Spain - similar to situation in Italy, all of the "poorer" European nations have suffered from introduction of the Euro, especially on a personal, consumer level. Fact.
Germany however, is in a slump for MANY MANY different reasons than the Euro. (this is also a fact). If it didn't at least have the support of the European financial and fiscal structure via the Euro, it would most probably be in an even worse mess. (This is just my humble economic prediction, not a fact, but I could back it up if the point is of interest to you and you don't mind some boring economics jarble...)  maybe it's better though to discuss football or something more interesting? (At least I would prefer it that way!)
Old 22-09-2003, 15:05   #30
Senior Member+

maybe it's better though to discuss football or something more interesting? (At least I would prefer it that way!) [/quote]

Ok do agree.Especially that 5 - 1 beating in Munich.That will be a thing i will never forget

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..