Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What would you vote if we had a referendum?
I vote Britain leaves the European Union. 20 66.67%
I'm happy with the present situation. 4 13.33%
I vote we keep some independence, but have economic ties. 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 16:28   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: European poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I am undecided whether or not to register for a vote this time.
The form has arrived and I can't even bring myself to open the envelope.
Democracy is dead. Whoever gets in works for their own interests and for a common purpose, which is not for the good of the population.
I hope on reflection you do register, even if you can't vote for anyone, any spoilt papers are counted.

If you do register you have a choice what you do later, which would be taken away if you decide now not to bother.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2009, 16:28   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
If we left the EU we'd still have economic ties and could still form free trade agreements just like many other countries not in the EU do. Does answer 1 suggest no economic ties/trade, or are 1 and 3 the same?
I agree, Norway, Switzerand, Iceland and a few other countries aren't in the EU, but have trading ties, so surely the votes for 1 and 3 should be combined?
Old 01-09-2009, 16:28   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
By the way, it isn't a secret ballot.

Bernard, you've voted to keep the status quo as it is. Are you happy with a system that allows a Romanion to enter Britain and claim social benefits here, and also to claim benefits for children still back in Romania, all quite legally?

Personally I think that stinks, and proves we are seen as the soft touch of this political/economic/whatever union.
I''m in favour of this Country being in the European Union/Community. I'm certainly not in favour of abuses such as you mention.

I don't see why anomalies such as these can't be sorted out without resorting to the drastic step of leaving Europe.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 16:31   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I''m in favour of this Country being in the European Union/Community. I'm certainly not in favour of abuses such as you mention.

I don't see why anomalies such as these can't be sorted out without resorting to the drastic step of leaving Europe.
Thanks for answering.

Sadly I don't see much evidence of any mainsteam political party addressing the abuses we as a nation suffer.

Old 01-09-2009, 16:31   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So being "sensible" means agreeing with you, does it? And as for leaving giving us an "aggressive national attitude", do you mean like those snarling nationalists, the Norwegians and the Swiss?
The Swiss and Norwegians?.. you can't compare them to Britian...I was going to add that some European countries that are not in the EU do have a certain advantage..but only as far as they are regarded as small fry that get along by selling goats cheese or have "special" banking services.. or on export of Christmas trees.. this is the reality of Europe..I say this country would not do well if we left the EU..a go it alone policy is not reality.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 16:33   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The Swiss and Norwegians?.. you can't compare them to Britian...I was going to add that some European countries that are not in the EU do have a certain advantage..but only as far as they are regarded as small fry that get along by selling goats cheese or have "special" banking services.. or on export of Christmas trees.. this is the reality of Europe..I say this country would not do well if we left the EU..a go it alone policy is not reality.
We did quite well up until 1973.

Old 01-09-2009, 16:38   #22
God Member

Quote:
We did quite well up until 1973.
Yes we did..and that is what this is really all about..if we had stayed out of the "Glorious Reunion" of Europe then this debate would not be going on.. but the massive Tory support along with the media lead us into something we just cannot walk away from.

Last edited by Mancie; 01-09-2009 at 16:40.
Old 01-09-2009, 16:39   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
... but the massive Tory support along with the media lead us into something we just cannot walk away from.
Yes we can.

Old 01-09-2009, 16:42   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post

can you please explain "How" also "Why" they have not been long ago?
Old 01-09-2009, 16:45   #25
God Member

Quote:
Yes we can.
I cringe when I hear that.
Some you tube clips play it backwards - it's quite chilling

Last edited by MargaretR; 01-09-2009 at 16:48.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 16:48   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If we left the EU we'd still have economic ties and could still form free trade agreements just like many other countries not in the EU do. Does answer 1 suggest no economic ties/trade, or are 1 and 3 the same?
In answer to your pm.

Options 1 and 3 are as written.

You must decide for yourself.

Soon you'll be voting in your first General Election, and I won't be there to hold your hand, and help make sense of the voting ballot.

Old 01-09-2009, 16:51   #27
God Member

Quote:
In answer to your pm.

Options 1 and 3 are as written.

You must decide for yourself.

Soon you'll be voting in your first General Election, and I won't be there to hold your hand, and help make sense of the voting ballot.

I won't be voting in the poll then if you don't wish to make it clear I want to be out of the EU but believe that you can still have economic ties as many countries do.
Old 01-09-2009, 16:53   #28
God Member

Quote:
Yes we can.
No you can't if your a farmer that relies on 80% of their income from the C.A.P...and no you can't when and if the currency betting boys in the City decide to make an run on the pound.
Old 01-09-2009, 16:57   #29
Give, give, give member

I can't for the life of me understand why, on the one hand we are told that devolution is good, fairer, and more democratic, with people at grassroot level having more power locally, as seen by the Welsh/Scottish parliament, and also the breaking up of the U.S.S.R, and the emergence of independent countries from under the cloak of eastern block rule, and on the other hand we are supposed to think its good that we now have another very costly level of government, with national powers being given over to one big super power state, the E.U.

Old 01-09-2009, 16:58   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I won't be voting in the poll then if you don't wish to make it clear I want to be out of the EU but believe that you can still have economic ties as many countries do.
Then you should have voted for opion 3.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..