Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What would you vote if we had a referendum?
I vote Britain leaves the European Union. 20 66.67%
I'm happy with the present situation. 4 13.33%
I vote we keep some independence, but have economic ties. 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 18:22   #46
God Member

Re: European poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yes, but we don't talk about that, because Andrew will start getting upset!
Why? is it cos he is black?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2009, 18:28   #47
God Member

I was at Accy Railway Station this afternoon and happened to notice that that old La-De-Dar's nightclub conversion to Loft-style flats is nearing completion. The name for this residential complex is "Gladstone Heights", no doubt to reflect it's original function as the Accy Liberal Club, built at the time when William Gladstone was the great leader of the Liberal Party.

The old Accy Con Club is also due for a major rebuild, although god only knows when that will happen. I wonder, if when it does, it will have a similar title to reflect it's illustrious political history. The name I have in mind is "Britcliffe Bottoms".
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 18:38   #48
Super Moderator

One thing I will say about the two people who have voted for the EU...they haven't come up with one good reason to stay in between 'em!
Old 01-09-2009, 18:38   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
"Britcliffe Bottoms".
That's got quite an allitervative ring to it.

I could seen it embroidered on the back of jackets....like the Pink Ladies in Grease.

Though I shudder to think what the initiation ritual would be, if you wanted to join.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 18:43   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Are you happy with a system that allows a Romanion to enter Britain and claim social benefits here, and also to claim benefits for children still back in Romania, all quite legally?

Personally I think that stinks, and proves we are seen as the soft touch of this political/economic/whatever union.
If were are supposed to be in a european union and the same rules apply to all members, why don't do'nt those romanians claim their benefits in germany, why is it any different over here.

The sooner the jerry's and the frogs start fighting each other for the third time the better. Then we can let them get on with it, and become the Gt Britain we were in 1914 and 1939, instead of being europes dustbin.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 19:07   #51
God Member

It's true..a few of what you lot call Romainans one week are Gypos the week after..according to you lot in Accy you do seem to suffer a higher than average crime rate..but that is rubbish...you blame all things on this government, the EU, Romainains, Poles..anything or anyone..take a look at your street at night were the aggro comes from.. it's your own.
Old 01-09-2009, 19:23   #52
Give, give, give member

Turkey's attempting, and will in all probability succeed, to gain entry to the E.U. Which is more than a lttle odd, as the majority of the country is in Asia.

Are we to look forward to 71 million new members, that Turkey will bring to the party, also being eligible to claim social benefits here in Britain, and for any dependent offspring back in Turkey?

The whole situation is ludicrous.

Last edited by garinda; 01-09-2009 at 19:25.
Old 01-09-2009, 19:38   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Turkey's attempting, and will in all probability succeed, to gain entry to the E.U. Which is more than a lttle odd, as the majority of the country is in Asia.

Are we to look forward to 71 million new members, that Turkey will bring to the party, also being eligible to claim social benefits here in Britain, and for any dependent offspring back in Turkey?

The whole situation is ludicrous.
The possible inclusion of Turkey into the Union is a worry..on the one hand it could be benificial to have an outright Muslim nation in the EU ..this could curtial the onslaught of Muslim extremists from Asia and the Middle East and you could argue that it would make the EU the "daddy" of this world in terms of defence.
Old 01-09-2009, 20:22   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

what baffles me is since we entered the E.U. both Consevative n Labour have been in power, yet still all the faults we all whinge about are still here, these faults with the system are not as obvious if ya live elsewhere in Europe, least that is my experience, "WHY" cos other countries pay em sod all if they were to descend upon em, other countries find ways around the smoking ban, n on it goes, in Spain even the influx from Morocco ( not E.U.) get sod all n have to return home or leave Spain after 9 months, i think you all should be looking closer to Home to apportion blame, its the ******* here that have cocked up big time.
Old 01-09-2009, 20:33   #55
Super Moderator

Thought the smoking ban was something that had been imposed by individual governments and had nothing to do with the EU? As for freedom of movement, that applies across all 27 states of the EU, so Romanians would be entitled to enter Spain and beg, claim soical security etc. Possibly their state benefits aren't as attractive as ours? You certainly see plenty of Romanian beggars in Rome...almost made me feel like I was walking down Market Street!
Old 01-09-2009, 22:13   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Thought the smoking ban was something that had been imposed by individual governments and had nothing to do with the EU? As for freedom of movement, that applies across all 27 states of the EU, so Romanians would be entitled to enter Spain and beg, claim soical security etc. Possibly their state benefits aren't as attractive as ours? You certainly see plenty of Romanian beggars in Rome...almost made me feel like I was walking down Market Street!
i think royboy or junetta will verify they get sod all benefits by just entering spain wyn. plus many basic jobs like buses, postal, taxi, etc they employ nationals.
Old 01-09-2009, 22:18   #57
God Member

Quote:
Don't get many romanian beggers down my neck of the woods.. mostly english, scots, irish (or bods from the west country)... like I say perhaps we should look closer to home rather than blame the EU ..but then it's not really a good story for the national papers.

Last edited by Mancie; 01-09-2009 at 22:20.
Old 01-09-2009, 22:27   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

take a walk around accy centre, more often than not its our chavs begging fer money fer Bus,cup tea,Phone Call, or fags.
Old 01-09-2009, 22:39   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Don't get many romanian beggers down my neck of the woods.. mostly english, scots, irish (or bods from the west country)... like I say perhaps we should look closer to home rather than blame the EU ..but then it's not really a good story for the national papers.
Perhaps it you that keeps them away.

I was forever chasing an old Romanian women (she was probably younger than me) with a broom, down Knightsbridge.

Perhaps you live in part of the city with slim pickin's.

Old 01-09-2009, 22:45   #60
Give, give, give member

Well so far 78% think we should leave, and they seem to be from a wide section of people, some of whom in the past may have hinted at differing political preferences.

Say what you like, it is an important isue to the greater majority of the electorate, and mainstream political parties aren't addressing the people's concerns.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..