Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What would you vote if we had a referendum?
I vote Britain leaves the European Union. 20 66.67%
I'm happy with the present situation. 4 13.33%
I vote we keep some independence, but have economic ties. 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 22:57   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: European poll.

...and from my own point of view I'm not exhibiting some irrational xenophobia towards Romanians, or any other nationality come to that.

I'm sure if I was in their shoes, given the same circumstances, I'd be here as well. Milking a very easy welfare system.

My problem is with the lack of concern from politicans that this is happening at all, and will continue to happen, at least until the pot runs dry, and the system is bankrupt.

Super states, engulfing individual nations, have happened before, but they are usually created by the use of force.

This present circumstance has arrived by stealth.

The British people certainly never voted for what we have today. Which certainly isn't a purely economic trade alliance.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2009, 22:57   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps it you that keeps them away.

I was forever chasing an old Romanian women (she was probably younger than me) with a broom, down Knightsbridge.
just for a quite moment I was pondering over the thought that Great Britain was a place of refuge for the oppressed and victimised people in this world..but your post just about kicked any thoughts of another "Great Britain" out the window.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 23:05   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
just for a quite moment I was pondering over the thought that Great Britain was a place of refuge for the oppressed and victimised people in this world..but your post just about kicked any thoughts of another "Great Britain" out the window.

...and your naive, sentimental drivel caused me to smile.

Such is life.

You really don't see the broader picture do you?

A system that is being abused will cause resentment, and a rise in support for extremism.

If a nation feels threatend, it is unlikely to extend welcoming arms to genuine people in need of refuge, rather than economic migrants, who are currently finding Britain such an alluring destination, because it's seen as a soft touch.

Don't even try to play the race card.

I've done more than my fair share in the fight against real, rather than supposed racism...almost as much as you've done for the brewing industry.

Old 01-09-2009, 23:06   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
or to put it bluntly "Great Britain" = Worlds Biggest Sucker.
Old 01-09-2009, 23:16   #65
Give, give, give member

Quote:

...and if it was your business she'd decided was to be her regular begging pitch, you'd have let her stay?

Stay, as you watched your business go down the pan, because people crossed over the street, rather than pass her, and takings dwindled, and eventually could have closed, resulting in job losses, and lack of revenue for the government which funds the welfare state through taxation?

Stay, as she sent her kids inside robbing you and your customers.

Stay, as her and her brood went to the toilet in the doorway to your business? Nevermind a welcome mat for your customers, here's some fresh Romanian turds to greet you.

More fool you.

Yes I did do battle, chased her, shouting matches, the lot, an eventually I won, but she'd only go and set up her pitch somwhere else, on someone elses doorstep, until the system changes.

Old 01-09-2009, 23:17   #66
God Member

Quote:
...and your naive, sentimental drivel caused me to smile.

Such is life.

You really don't see the broader picture do you?

A system that is being abused will cause resentment, and a rise in support for extremism.

If a nation feels threatend, it is unlikely to extend welcoming arms to genuine people in need of refuge, rather than economic migrants, who are currently finding Britain such an alluring destination, because it's seen as a soft touch.

Don't even try to play the race card.

I've done more than my fair share in the fight against real, rather than supposed racism...almost as much as you've done for the brewing industry.
And your idea of seeing the "broader picture" is one of chasing people off with a broom.. or in the case of some of our more aggresive countrymen with a good old kicking... I'd have a bet you would not have got the broom out if faced with a 16 stone ****ed up jock.
Old 01-09-2009, 23:18   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
It does seem anomaly, to vote to keep the status quo, and to accept that there are abuses.

Abuses both major parties seem happy to ignore, and hence the increased support for extremism.
There are problems, but these are problems that if the will was there could be sorted. And in my view doesn't mitigate against the concept of the European Union, which I think is a correct concept.

I'm essentially an internationalist, and we have seen all too frequently in the last century what can happen when countries adopt an insular stance.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 23:21   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
There are problems, but these are problems that if the will was there could be sorted. And in my view doesn't mitigate against the concept of the European Union, which I think is a correct concept.

I'm essentially an internationalist, and we have seen all too frequently in the last century what can happen when countries adopt an insular stance.
Do you honestly think the will is there Bernard? cos i don't.
Old 01-09-2009, 23:27   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post

Insular, or expansive. Same results historically.

Russia and Germany, two ends of the political spectrum. Same outcome, mass genocide, much misery all round.

Internationalism doesn't take into account one major flaw. The irrationality of mankind.

Idealism, rather than solving actual problems in the here and now, is fine, but very often when you throw good and bad into the same pot, the result isn't good nor bad, it's just one big mediocre mess. Such as we have now with the E.U.

Old 01-09-2009, 23:31   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Do you honestly think the will is there Bernard? cos i don't.
One term of government, maybe an excuse.

Three terms, no excuse.

Even on this forum there is evidence people are unhappy with the situation, and fearful of the future, yet no mainstream party is addressing those very real concerns.

Old 01-09-2009, 23:33   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
or to put it bluntly "Great Britain" = Worlds Biggest Sucker.
you could be correct..but then again you could say we have been suckers for centuries and the rest of the world have been takin the pee out of us..but at least we have a reputation in this world of being people of honour... I fear that the idea of a Great Britain is threatened more from within...some people that claim to have the best interests of this country at heart are the ones that look after themselvles, and they will do more damage to our way of life than any romanians could do.
Old 01-09-2009, 23:37   #72
God Member

Quote:
One term of government, maybe an excuse.

Three terms, no excuse.

Even on this forum there is evidence people are unhappy with the situation, and fearful of the future, yet no mainstream party is addressing those very real concerns.
not really a problem..if you don't like it then put your x on the box marked BNP or some other mob..simple really, until you are the one they don't like the look of.
Old 01-09-2009, 23:44   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
not really a problem..if you don't like it then put your x on the box marked BNP or some other mob..simple really, until you are the one they don't like the look of.
As stated earlier, if you'd took the trouble to read it, I detest everything the B.N.P. stand for, and will never vote for them. However, whilst mainstream politics turns a blind eye to the very real abuses of the welfare state etc., then more and more people will vote for them.

History is repeating itself. When people feel threatened they seek scapegoats, even though it isn't those targeted who are to blame, but the sysyem that has allowed fear to prosper.

Old 01-09-2009, 23:53   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
you could be correct..but then again you could say we have been suckers for centuries and the rest of the world have been takin the pee out of us..but at least we have a reputation in this world of being people of honour... I fear that the idea of a Great Britain is threatened more from within...some people that claim to have the best interests of this country at heart are the ones that look after themselvles, and they will do more damage to our way of life than any romanians could do.
Before you turn into a Sun reading, little Englander, Tory loudmouth, who wants to put the superlative 'great' back into Britain.

Let's just clear up that the great in front of Britain, is an adjective referring to our size, and that we are indeed larger than Britannia Minor, which is northwestern France.

Old 01-09-2009, 23:59   #75
God Member

It's ot really any use in going on about how much people hate the BNP and would never vote for them..yet in the same breath people are saying they "understand" the reasons for voting for a party who's sole aim is to rid this country of anyone that is non-white..no if's or buts if you are not deemed as white then you can't even join these political party's..anyone who says they "understand" the reasons why anyone leans towards these groups are taking what may seem an easy way out but would end in disaster.
there is no excuse..it's plain and simple.. there are some that want things all lovely and rosey but it don't work that way..no sitting on the fence..take it or leave it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..