Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What would you vote if we had a referendum?
I vote Britain leaves the European Union. 20 66.67%
I'm happy with the present situation. 4 13.33%
I vote we keep some independence, but have economic ties. 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00   #91
God Member

Re: European poll.

I'd like to be able to vote but don't think I know enough about the situation to cast either way. Like garinda I have no party line to toe, however unlike garinda (and many of the posters in this thread) I don't know a sufficient amount about the history, purpose and current practice of the EU.

My gut says that the 'we were fine before we joined the EU' argument doesn't work; that the consequences of being involved with European treaties for so long cannot be eradicated - nor can Albion's independent empire be rebuilt - by merely severing ties. Perhaps the only way to rectify the current situation where seemingly Britain achieves very little from its EU membership is to put more focus upon it; I (and I'm sure most British people) haven't a clue what our MEP does or what any representative of Britain does in Brussels.

Should Great Britain become independent of the EU, would we be able to have beneficial economic ties with countries in the EU or would treaties forbid it?
The lack of money being spent by the British public on British produce does worry me (especially as far as the car industry is concerned), would this be a situation improved by independence from the EU?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2009, 07:32   #92
Super Moderator

Good post, Shakey, the whole EU question does raise a lot of questions which are going unanswered. I'd like to hear from some of our members who live in other European countries about this theory of Cashy's that it's not necessarily the EU that's the problem, it's the fact that we meekly obey all the rules, while other flaunt them.

One thing that does stand out a mile, though - the two people who have voted wholeheartedly in favour of the EU have not come up with one concrete benefit of membership between them (apart from some airy fairy theorising about being "an internationalist"). You're going to have to do better than that, Bernard, if you want to convert us!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:47   #93
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You're going to have to do better than that, Bernard, if you want to convert us!
On second thoughts, Bernard, I'll let you off not completing your essay on "Why I Love the EU" as I've just seen a photo of where you were last night (and I, sadly, wasn't)!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:37   #94
Resting in Peace

Hell there was some activity on this thread last night, I've ticked the third option, the EU would be okay if it was used as it was set up to do, for trading purposes, not to run our lives with stupid rules made by unelected bureaucrats.
Old 02-09-2009, 13:18   #95
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
On second thoughts, Bernard, I'll let you off not completing your essay on "Why I Love the EU" as I've just seen a photo of where you were last night (and I, sadly, wasn't)!

I was doing my bit for internationalism in Oldham.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 18:43   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hell there was some activity on this thread last night, I've ticked the third option, the EU would be okay if it was used as it was set up to do, for trading purposes, not to run our lives with stupid rules made by unelected bureaucrats.
Sounds like you want something like NAFTA .... we have a free trade agreement with Mexico, but that didn't stop us from making it mandatory for Mexican tourists to have a visa as well as a passport .... or from telling Bush to go screw himself when he wanted us to join the coalition forces to invade Iraq. Still think it might be a good idea if you guys looked to having closer ties with what Churchill called the "English speaking peoples" ... Europe is a dogs breakfast; always has been; probably always will be. I never did think of England as part of Europe. Ah, well, you guys can sort it out for yourselves ... none of my business, eh.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:04   #97
Roy
Administrator

The problem is not Europe. The problem is how our country works.
Our own policies decide the welfare system. I don't see other countries just giving out benefits to other europeans willy nilly like we do.

Europe is not a problem, the way we manage it is!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:10   #98

I am happy with the current situation for at least this reason this provides Greater protection for workers from exploitation by employers limits the hours that can be worked. Ensures greater equality and protection of social inclusion.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:20   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
I am happy with the current situation for at least this reason this provides Greater protection for workers from exploitation by employers limits the hours that can be worked. Ensures greater equality and protection of social inclusion.
Does the nationality of your current partner help colour your views on this issue?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:37   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Does the nationality of your current partner help colour your views on this issue?
My wife's Engllsh but she has her own ideas.
Dont tell Garinda anything about your family or circumstances. He can, will and does use it whenever he gets the chance.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:41   #101
JFT96

Workers rights, I'm British and due to a awful lot of European Labour in my profession, I cannot get a job in the UK, even with 'the worlds favourite airline'.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:50   #102
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Workers rights, I'm British and due to a awful lot of European Labour in my profession, I cannot get a job in the UK, even with 'the worlds favourite airline'.
You want to work for Air Canada
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:56   #103
Beacon of light

I can remember the time before the Common Market...as it was called then, and I truly think the British public were bamboozled into thinking that the 'Common Market' would be a good trading alliance. It was never seen as the great political machine it has become.
It is becoming more like the United States of Europe...except some countries seem to play by the rules to the letter, and others seem to carry on however they please......just so that they get the best deal out of both worlds.
No I would definitely vote to come out of the EU.
I am British, and want the laws that govern me to be made here.....not in brussels by some faceless politician who I have not had the opportunity to vote in(or out)....to me that is not democracy....and denying the British public a right to vote is not democratic either.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:57   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
My wife's Engllsh but she has her own ideas
I'd clean forgotton about your poor wife, until you just posted about her here.

Then I remembered how you first mentioned her publicly in this thread, when she'd bounced a cheque, and we were all very sympathetic to her plight.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ges-31627.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 20:00   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'd clean forgotton about your poor wife, until you just posted about her here.

Then I remembered how you first mentioned her publicly in this thread, when she'd bounced a cheque, and we were all very sympathetic to her plight.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ges-31627.html
I think that proves my point........nuf said.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..