Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What would you vote if we had a referendum?
I vote Britain leaves the European Union. 20 66.67%
I'm happy with the present situation. 4 13.33%
I vote we keep some independence, but have economic ties. 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 20:06   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: European poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
My wife's Engllsh but she has her own ideas.
Dont tell Garinda anything about your family or circumstances. He can, will and does use it whenever he gets the chance.
..and in fact it was a relevant question.

I can't pretend I don't know Turkishdelight's partner is from an E.U. state, and it may give her a different view of the workings of a borders free Europe.

I've got Italian friends who love being able to come and work in the U.K., just as I have British friends who are happy that they've retired in their forties to Gran Canaria.

So you see I have experience of the benefits to my friends, but it doesn't alter my own opinion, that being that we should pull out of the E.U. as soon as possible.

So unless you've anything to add that's relevant to the subject of the thread, why don't you keep your sneck out?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2009, 20:11   #107
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I think that proves my point........nuf said.
I'd just like to point out that any information that has been made known about you, or your family, is information you've chosen to share with us all on this public forum.

Old 02-09-2009, 20:24   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'd just like to point out that any information that has been made known about you, or your family, is information you've chosen to share with us all on this public forum.

I am not counting but every time you feel the need to bring the subject up you make a fool out of yourself, not me or my wife.
Luckily, you dont know me and I dont know you, apart from what I have heard.
I brush that of as heresay, but I am beginning to wonder.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 20:32   #109

Quote:

And does that apply to me too. I am not aware that i have chosen to reveal any information to share on this public forum who my partner is. And i can tell you he is not from an EU state so your source of information is incorrect.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 20:37   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
And does that apply to me too. I am not aware that i have chosen to reveal any information to share on this public forum who my partner is. And i can tell you he is not from an EU state so your source of information is incorrect.
So the great tub thumper is wrong?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 20:53   #111

Quote:
Does the nationality of your current partner help colour your views on this issue?
Well trying to attack from a personal point once again however i will not stoop so low in a personal attack response to you. All i will say its work that i am involved in and my views have never been coloured by anyone person in what i firmly believe in and stand by.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 21:08   #112
God Member

Ah, seems like there is a lull in the battle, so: I still can't see the problem with the UK taking firm control of its destiny .... you are a democracy (many of you don't like your present govt., but you can democratically turf it out at the next election); doesn't that mean that the govt.you elect makes decisions on your behalf with the authority you have delegated. And doesn't it follow from this that you, through your govt., control your own destiny. What's the problem? Not many people give Canada much thought; but if they do, they think of us as some sort of wannabe 51st. state. But the reality is, we are, like you, an independent sovereign nation. We pursue an independent domestic and foreign policy. Sure we are in NAFTA; but this is kinda inevitable. After all, the US depends on us for the largest percentage of its oil imports; and the volume of trade between Ontario, one province, and the US is greater than that between the US and China. But, we make our own rules. We go our own way in foreign policy. No one, but our democratically elected government(s) makes decisions for us. Bottom line is, we are who we are, take it or leave it. And we still dominate our national sport (ok, that's officially Lacrosse, but I'm talking hockey).
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 21:11   #113
God Member

Quote:
I am happy with the current situation for at least this reason this provides Greater protection for workers from exploitation by employers limits the hours that can be worked. Ensures greater equality and protection of social inclusion.
That is all good and well until employers flout the job protection that British workers have fought long and hard for. Now we have europeans working often illegally, longer hours for less wages. Ok this may only be in low paid jobs but it is happening unforunately and will continue to do so unless changes are made
Old 02-09-2009, 21:25   #114
God Member

Keep the good stuff cob out the bad stuff, get our own sovereignty back and sack the pen pushing faceless twallies over there. Dont think we could afford to be in the United States of Europe. There is more crud comming out of Brussels than an elephant with a serious case of deli belly backfire helped along with 1/2 a ton of Senicot.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 23:57   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well then I apologise, your relative did indeed relay the wrong information for whatever reason. Thank you for setting the matter straight.

As stated I have friends from member states of the E.U. who enjoy there being no effective border control between participating countries, but to me it doesn't alter the fact that I think we should withdraw, because of the vast expense, and the many loopholes, which mean Britain's welfare state is seen as easy pickings by all and sundry.

Loopholes which mainstream political parties seem happy to turn a blind eye to, and not to be worried by the public's concern, as examplified to a lesser extent by this thread, and the findings of the poll, and for the status quo to remain as it is, with Britain remaining the loser in the whole shambolic, and unfair bun fight, that is today's United States of Europe.

Old 03-09-2009, 00:05   #116
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well trying to attack from a personal point once again however i will not stoop so low in a personal attack response to you. All i will say its work that i am involved in and my views have never been coloured by anyone person in what i firmly believe in and stand by.
It was a genuine and honest question.

I can't see asking a question, based on a fact, could be seen as an attack.

All you needed to say was no, my misguided opinion is based on the misassumption that the E.U. is the very cradle of all things fair.

Old 03-09-2009, 00:42   #117
Give, give, give member

So far, according to this small poll, 84% are unhappy with the present situation, with regards to Britain's membership of the E.U.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:56   #118
God Member

Quote:
It was a genuine and honest question.

I can't see asking a question, based on a fact, could be seen as an attack.

All you needed to say was no, my misguided opinion is based on the misassumption that the E.U. is the very cradle of all things fair.
Well perhaps you should open your eyes. This is supposed to be a community forum not a witch hunt using personal information about somebody, let alone the country of origin of a users partner whom doesn't even frequent the forum in an attempt to gain the upper hand in a debate. I'm not perfect myself by all means - but I've time to learn, to mature; to become wise with age. Even if her partner was from an EU member state - what does this matter? Does she no longer have a valid opinion on every other thing she perceives as a benefit from the EU? Do you know enough about the partner to know that they wouldn't gain entry into this country for reasons of hard graft and legitimate work? Completely pointless comment that you made, you could have attacked in a far greater and dignified manner by simply responding to her argument.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42   #119
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well perhaps you should open your eyes. This is supposed to be a community forum not a witch hunt using personal information about somebody, let alone the country of origin of a users partner whom doesn't even frequent the forum in an attempt to gain the upper hand in a debate. I'm not perfect myself by all means - but I've time to learn, to mature; to become wise with age. Even if her partner was from an EU member state - what does this matter? Does she no longer have a valid opinion on every other thing she perceives as a benefit from the EU? Do you know enough about the partner to know that they wouldn't gain entry into this country for reasons of hard graft and legitimate work? Completely pointless comment that you made, you could have attacked in a far greater and dignified manner by simply responding to her argument.
I can't pretend not to know something. The close relative of your's who (wrongly) said her partner was from an E.U. member country, didn't say it was some sort of secret.

Although I have friends who are Italian who have worked here, and British friends who have retired to another member country, and therefore take advantage of a borders free Europe, l don't know anyone who has a partner who is from an E.U. member country, and genuinely wanted to know if their view of how the system works had helped form their opinion, like it has with my friends.

I apologise for not been given the correct information by your relative, as if he isn't from an E.U. member state the question is then irrelevant.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:49   #120
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I can't pretend not to know something. The close relative of your's who (wrongly) said her partner was from an E.U. member country, didn't say it was some sort of secret.

Although I have friends who are Italian who have worked here, and British friends who have retired to another member country, and therefore take advantage of a borders free Europe, l don't know anyone who has a partner who is from an E.U. member country, and genuinely wanted to know if their view of how the system works had helped form their opinion, like it has with my friends.

I apologise for not been given the correct information by your relative, as if he isn't from an E.U. member state the question is then irrelevant.
...and if you do fulfill your stated desire to become an M.P., any information will be fair game. The press, and political activists are always digging around.

A little bit like you did with Cllr. Graham Jones, when you hinted he was some kind of slum landlord, when in fact he was waiting for the probate to go through on his late grandmother's home.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..