Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2016, 11:08   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Evolution aint that a fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, I am sure there is a scientific explanation for it
Internet Tourette syndrome perhaps?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2016, 11:10   #17
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Now son, that's an offer you'd be mad to pass up on!
Oh I know, I've been known to associate with these 2 little Scallywags in the past, I'm easily led me, especially when Beers mentioned!
Old 31-01-2016, 11:17   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
You can have both, if you so desire.
Without doubt Ma, each to their own & all that. Just so long as the preferences & fancies of other folks aren't continually shoved up my nose, I'm more than happy to not shove my choices .... up theirs! ....... So to speak.
Old 31-01-2016, 12:18   #19
Beacon of light

Yes, that is healthy.
This so called controversial story is only controversial because the media makes it so.
The children who go to this school go to it because their parents wish them to go to a Cof E school. If you do not wish your children to be educated in the C of E faith, then you would choose a non faith school.

We cannot expect our children to make decisions of any kind( when they reach maturity) if they are not shown both sides of the issue.
That is what education is about..providing a variety of information in order that the wheat can be sifted from the chaff.

Heading towards a secular society is something that many people think they want, but it leaves a void which is easily filled by other (perhaps) less healthy dogmas.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 13:06   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Personally I'd go with the evolution thing as opposed to some hocus pocus, mythic mumbo jumbo!
Me too ... as I lace my morning coffee with rum, and spark one up. Problem is, not too many folks accept that there is a difference between "scientific theory" and "conjecture." "Mumbo jumbo", however, is a great way of describing fundamentalist christianity. Having said that, I have to admit that when, sometime in the future, a doctor tells me that there is nothing more that can be done for me, I will respond: "Yes there is. Get me a Priest right the [deleted] now." Nothing wrong with hedging your bets, eh.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 13:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Me too ... as I lace my morning coffee with rum, and spark one up. Problem is, not too many folks accept that there is a difference between "scientific theory" and "conjecture." "Mumbo jumbo", however, is a great way of describing fundamentalist christianity. Having said that, I have to admit that when, sometime in the future, a doctor tells me that there is nothing more that can be done for me, I will respond: "Yes there is. Get me a Priest right the [deleted] now." Nothing wrong with hedging your bets, eh.
Just a Priest? I'll also be calling for a Vicar, a Rabbi, a Mullah & any other religions authoritative figure, just in case one of them knows a way they can take my place.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 31-01-2016, 13:27   #22
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Nothing wrong with hedging your bets, eh.
Aye I, suppose there are occasions when a belief in some kind of religion would probably ease your fears, pains & worries.

I read somewhere about a fella whose wife had been playing the field, she skinned him for all he had, then ran off with his best mate! He turned to religion for help, she was stoned to death the following week!

GOTCHA! PC my arse! Touchy feely, woolly liberal simpering from me? Yeah right, you didn't really expect anything else from me did you!
Eric likes this.
Old 31-01-2016, 14:00   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Just a Priest? I'll also be calling for a Vicar, a Rabbi, a Mullah & any other religions authoritative figure, just in case one of them knows a way they can take my place.
Nah ... I think I'll stick with a Priest ... one like Father John Patrick Francis Mulcahy.

And now for a thread wander: I know that not too many of you are interested in US politics ... or understand it for that matter. But those of you who think about what is going on in the world must realize the importance of fundamentalist christianity not only in the final election, but also in the Primaries. Keep an eye on the Iowa Caucuses, particularly the results from the north west part of the State. All the Republican hopefuls ... and God knows how many of them there are ... 17 maybe ... are vying for the fundamentalist vote. Ted Cruz picked up votes by ending his speech with a prayer. Fundamentalist christians taking over America is far more dangerous than fundamentalist, conservative muslims taking over Islam. Many of us find extremist christian beliefs risible; but there is nothing funny about a born-again President. After all, he is Commander-in-Chief of the most powerful military on the planet, trusting in god; but keeping his powder dry.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 31-01-2016, 14:16   #24
Beacon of light

Quote:
Nah ... I think I'll stick with a Priest ... one like Father John Patrick Francis Mulcahy.

And now for a thread wander: I know that not too many of you are interested in US politics ... or understand it for that matter. But those of you who think about what is going on in the world must realize the importance of fundamentalist christianity not only in the final election, but also in the Primaries. Keep an eye on the Iowa Caucuses, particularly the results from the north west part of the State. All the Republican hopefuls ... and God knows how many of them there are ... 17 maybe ... are vying for the fundamentalist vote. Ted Cruz picked up votes by ending his speech with a prayer. Fundamentalist christians taking over America is far more dangerous than fundamentalist, conservative muslims taking over Islam. Many of us find extremist christian beliefs risible; but there is nothing funny about a born-again President. After all, he is Commander-in-Chief of the most powerful military on the planet, trusting in god; but keeping his powder dry.
Eric, I like your last sentence the best.
I hate the public displays of religion.
Any religion (like sex)should be practised in private(or at least in church....but don't try that with sex!)....I distrust those who try to make us feel that they are godly(and we are unworthy).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 14:16   #25
God Member

religion should have an age restriction like smoking does and not introduced to anyone until the reach the age of 18 where they can look at the facts and the nonsense and decide if it is something they wish to take up

you m,ay be turned away from places of worship if you do not look 25

a bit like smoking but smoking has caused less death

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 31-01-2016 at 14:19.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 14:39   #26

Well I'm sitting here removing fluff from my contemplative navel and have concluded that I don't want there to be an after life, sharing eternity with loved ones I suppose could be bearable, but, what if, (no, but isn't important enough for this, I'll start again)...

...however, what if I also have to share it with all the chickens, turkeys, cows, pigs and because I've occasionally had take aways, dogs and cats that I have eaten?

Even worse I've eaten frozen meals from Tesco's who knows what else I've eaten?

All of them being polite whilst glancing my way? Creating that guilty feeling forever!

Last edited by Less; 31-01-2016 at 14:41.
Old 31-01-2016, 15:03   #27
God Member

Quote:
Eric, I like your last sentence the best.
I hate the public displays of religion.
Any religion (like sex)should be practised in private(or at least in church....but don't try that with sex!).
I like Mrs. Patrick Campbell on this: "I don't mind where people make love, as long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses." And what's wrong getting laid in church? Churches are quiet, usually empty, and there's much more room than there is in an elevator or the back seat of a car.

This is not really off-topic. For those who want to know more about evolution, go beyond "On the Origin of Species" and have a butchers at "The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex." This work explains the peacock and others critters that don't quite fit the "random mutation, selective retention" model outlined in "Origin."

One thing that I like about scientific theories is that they change to fit new info., unlike christianity and all the other mumbo-jumbos which are offered on a take it or leave it basis. And even some outdated theories retain their value. For example, even with relativity, the Big Bang, quantum theory and all that neat stuff, we still can live quite comfortably in a Newtonian universe.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 31-01-2016, 15:12   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Personally I'd go with the evolution thing as opposed to some hocus pocus, mythic mumbo jumbo! Just do a little bit of people watching next time you're out & about to see what I mean, there's those amongst us who are fairly far removed from the primate branches of our shared tree & then there are those, who are still standing soggily dripping at the edge of the pond of primordial soup & wondering is it all really worth it.
Don't forget the ones that haven't yet emerged from the primordial soup
Old 31-01-2016, 15:28   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Comforting to see that I'm not the only one talking about the current crop of assholes vying for the Republican nomination.
Old 31-01-2016, 15:44   #30
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Ahr ay Bazzer! Do we have to talk about Manky U fans already?

TADAH! I THANGYU!
I'm here all week folks, tickets for the early show a 5er each or a 6 pack of tinnies!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..