Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2016, 21:54   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Evolution aint that a fact!

'Evolution is not a fact? - school headteacher slammed after controversial social media post (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Strange isn't it how a couple of months ago everyone was jumping on the bandwagon of this country being Christian when the cross was being removed from the crematorium.

I disagree with this teacher but I dont think her argument warrants a public flogging, an MP using the issue to give a new labour soundbite about the need for teaching multicultural religions, and finally the ill thought ramblings of a councillor 'I would prefer that children are allowed to make up their own minds as to which presents more compelling evidence'(Pray tell O wise one..just how would they make up their minds without being given an informed choice i.e information from both sides of the coin)

This woman is entitled to her opinion. It's not like she's standing up in morning assembly putting kids on ducking stools and flagellating unbelievers with scourges.
Old 30-01-2016, 22:28   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Evolution aint that a fact!

Is it not possible to believe in evolution and be a Christian?
After all the story of Adam and Eve is Old Testament......I never believed it to be a fact...and really don't know anyone who does believe that this was how we all came into being
The Christian religion bases itself on the teachings of Jesus Christ.....which is why it is called Christianity.
You can either believe it or not believe it. If you believe it you are hurting no one, and may gain comfort from having a faith......if you do not believe it then you are hurting no one.
Faith is believing what you cannot see....trusting.
If that is not what you need in your life then fine.....let those who do believe get on with it.
This is a non-story. Something that the local press like to blow out of all proportion.....and daft local politicians get sucked into the media circus by dignifying the thing with unnecessary comment. It just raises their profile and perhaps makes them feel important.
Jim Procter likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:05   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Non-Story is the correct term fer this junk, interesting who stuck his oar in though.
Old 31-01-2016, 10:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Is it not possible to believe in evolution and be a Christian?
After all the story of Adam and Eve is Old Testament......I never believed it to be a fact...and really don't know anyone who does believe that this was how we all came into being
The Christian religion bases itself on the teachings of Jesus Christ.....which is why it is called Christianity.
You can either believe it or not believe it. If you believe it you are hurting no one, and may gain comfort from having a faith......if you do not believe it then you are hurting no one.
Faith is believing what you cannot see....trusting.
If that is not what you need in your life then fine.....let those who do believe get on with it.
This is a non-story. Something that the local press like to blow out of all proportion.....and daft local politicians get sucked into the media circus by dignifying the thing with unnecessary comment. It just raises their profile and perhaps makes them feel important.
What a well worded and utterly sensible post. Well said Margaret, Your's Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 10:33   #5
Beacon of light

Thank you Taddy.
Many scientists are also Christians.
So science proves something or puts out a theory...but wouldn't you be asking who gave the scientists their brain to do this.
This lady explains the point far better than I can......she is a scientist...an anthropologist, but she can see that two theories can exist side by side.
Please take time to have a look at this.

As for the original post......I cannot see the link between the comment about jumping on the bandwagon about the Cross being removed from the crem...the only links I can see to this non story is that it relates to faith and that a certain local politician was involved in both stories. ( forgive me Guinness...I might be a bit thick)
Old 31-01-2016, 10:54   #6

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Was pointing out that those currently giving this teacher grief for her beliefs were probably the same ones that threw their arms up in despair at 'crematoriumgate'...a case of double standards
Old 31-01-2016, 11:02   #7
Beacon of light

Thank you Guinness for that clarification...I totally failed to get that point.
That would not be me though.
I do not find Christianity offensive...and people will believe whatever they want to believe.
As a said in my original post a belief in what science proves and Christianity, are not mutually exclusive. You can be a scientist and believe in God(or a greater being).
Old 31-01-2016, 11:22   #8

A double like from Margaret in post 6 about double standards! I like it. How did you do that, Margaret?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 11:43   #9
Beacon of light

Havent't a clue Micheal.
I didn't do anything different....just clicked 'like'
I bet I couldn't do it again.
Old 31-01-2016, 11:44   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
A double like from Margaret in post 6 about double standards! I like it. How did you do that, Margaret?
Margaret moves in mysterious ways, her wonders to perform.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 11:54   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Personally I'd go with the evolution thing as opposed to some hocus pocus, mythic mumbo jumbo! Just do a little bit of people watching next time you're out & about to see what I mean, there's those amongst us who are fairly far removed from the primate branches of our shared tree & then there are those, who are still standing soggily dripping at the edge of the pond of primordial soup & wondering is it all really worth it.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 31-01-2016, 11:59   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Personally I'd go with the evolution thing as opposed to some hocus pocus, mythic mumbo jumbo! Just do a little bit of people watching next time you're out & about to see what I mean, there's those amongst us who are fairly far removed from the primate branches of our shared tree & then there are those, who are still standing soggily dripping at the edge of the pond of primordial soup & wondering is it all really worth it.

Next time you're over give Mick and I a grunt and we'll meet you at the pond to supp a few, that will make it seem worth it for you. (or will it?)
DaveinGermany likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 12:03   #13
Beacon of light

Now son, that's an offer you'd be mad to pass up on!
Old 31-01-2016, 12:04   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Margaret moves in mysterious ways, her wonders to perform.
Less, I am sure there is a scientific explanation for it
Old 31-01-2016, 12:07   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You can have both, if you so desire.
Even those standing at the edge of the pond have their reason for being.( even if it is only to show us how far some of us have progressed.....and to be thankful for small mercies)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..