Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2004, 19:24   #1

"Ewe" dares, wins

Clever little buggers eh?

"Ewe" Dares Wins..?
From AOL News today...

A flock of cunning sheep is terrorising village gardeners after working out how to cross a cattle grid.

The sheep roll over the grate Commando-style to get out of their field and reach gardens in Marsden, West Yorkshire, where they munch their way though flowers, shrubs and vegetables.

Having had their fill, they then roll back over the grid and into the field.

Local councillor Dorothy Lindley said she had witnessed the astonishing manoeuvre.

"It is quite clever really. They get on their back or side and just roll over and over the metal grids," she said.

"Many of the sheep treat the village as their home but they are a big nuisance to villagers. They eat plants, vegetables and flowers in the gardens.

"What amazes us is that they are not frightened. When you try and move them on they look at you as if to say it is their patch and you are not right in the head."

A National Farmers' Union spokesman said: "Our members have not heard of this before."

But a National Sheep Association spokeswoman said: "I'm not surprised. Sheep have more brainpower than people are willing to give them credit for."

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-07-2004, 19:40   #2

Re: "Ewe" dares, wins

I heard about this on Radio 5 today. Apparently some sheep used to jump over the grid previously.
Old 29-07-2004, 19:57   #3
I am Band

Rumour has it that the sheep in Yorkshire are so clever that they can recognise the sound of a zip-fly being undone - that is why Yorkshiremen have taken to wearing kilts.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 20:34   #4
God Member

Sparky, thats a bit below the belt!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 21:03   #5
I am Band

Which part? The zip-fly, the sheep or the kilt?

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 21:08   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I also heard this on the news this morning. It must be a slow day news wise if the focus of our attention is drawn to escapee sheep..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 10:30   #7
I am Banned

lol clever buggers
Stanley4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 15:23   #8
Senior Member+

No doubt it was Baaaabra again, leading them all astray. Can't take her anywhere.
Old 30-07-2004, 15:31   #9
Member.

Perhaps their Shi’ite Sheep training to fight with Bah, Bin laden
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 17:59   #10

Thumbs up Re: "Ewe" dares, wins

Why not plant mint on the other side of the grid that might stop them, if there so clever.
Old 30-07-2004, 19:43   #11
Always EVIL within us

What a great story that was! It shows that just sometimes, animals can show more intelligence than man (or woman)
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 20:59   #12

Was in Scotland years ago and got talking to the local farmer. I was shutting the gate next to a cattle grid when he stopped in his Land Rover. He told me to leave it open and on asking why he told me he was fed up retreiving the sheep from one field and putting them back only to find them back there again the next day. He thought he had a break in the wall or something but no. He got so frustrated that he waited one night. What he saw was two lead sheep roll onto the grid next to each other, then the other sheep used them as a bridge and walked over them into the other field, the two sheep then rolled over into the field aswell! I don't know about you but till that moment i thought sheep were dumb. It taught me a lesson!

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..