Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2003, 06:04   #1

Post Ex-Accrington Expats....

There seem to be a few people on this board who don't live in Accrington anymore, out of interest where have you all gone and why did you leave?

I'll start, I'm in Moscow, Russia and I got sent here by my Accrington company 18months ago. It has been great seeing another part of the world that has such a different way of life to our own. I have to admit life here is a bit crazier than Accrington and I am looking forward to coming home for good!
ukbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2003, 07:47   #2
Junior Member+

Post Re: Ex-Accrington Expats....

Born in Accington in Peter Street (not there any more) lived up Fern Gore most of my time in Accrington. I joined the Army way back in 1967 travelling around the world at your expense, did 12 years in the Army before moving back to Accrington. Stayed in Accrington for about 18 month before moving to Warrington for work. I now live on the Wirral in Cheshire. Most of my family have moved on like me. When I go back to Accrington it is not as I remember it. (OK so I’m not young any more) The 60’s where the best time for me in Accrington, I will never forgot them. Any body else on the forum around Accrington in the 60’s?  
vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 21:16   #3
Senior Member+

Well mate you are a bit away from me i have been living in Bavaria Germany 4 21 years so living abroad you are a bit of a newcomer if tha knows what i mean.

Mik
Old 12-08-2003, 08:10   #4
Jo

I'm in Italy, in the Alps. Left Accy for university in 1992, did 3 years in Manchester and a year in Germany 94 - 95 where I met my husband - an Italian.
Did a masters degree in Milan for 1 year in order to learn Italian and then got a job in Milan where I stayed another year.
In 1998 got a job here in my hubby's home town and have been here ever since. Do quite a bit of travelling with work, but spend most time here enjoying the mountains and good lifestyle.
Love coming back to Accy where almost all my family is still based. I think the place I live is more beautiful, has more to offer and better weather, but the people in Accy can't be matched anywhere I've been.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:13   #5
Jo

Hey Mik aus Bayern!! Grüsse Dich - bin in der Nähe - Bozen - kennst Du die Stadt?! Ganz nett!!
Trink ein Hefeweizen für mich, gel??!!!
Tschüssi!
Old 12-08-2003, 16:36   #6

??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 16:38   #7
Caz
God Member

Put it into Babelfish Droo  

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 20:34   #8
Senior Member+

Wir trinken hier keine HefeWeizen.Hier in Bayern Trinken wir ein Weißbier.Und besser gesagt ich wohne in Dorfen.PLZ 84405

For all the rest of you i used to live up Fern Gore and moved over here in Sept 1982, been here since.Nice life but we try to get over to Accy every 2 years.

Mik
Old 13-08-2003, 08:01   #9
Senior Member+

Right Jo i got the old map out and i have found out where you are.Really you are basically on the Austrian Italian border.Your German is very good so it looked like you learvt it at school.Never had the privelige of that too busy working.Picked mine up along the way.
Old 13-08-2003, 08:03   #10
Senior Member+

Will definately agrre with you.we get back to visit people and also when we get a little bit homesick.After being there then we realise just how good we ahve it over here.Sorry about that everybody but that is the way it is.
Old 13-08-2003, 09:35   #11
Jo

Yeah, Mik, I did study German for 10 years but can't commend the British language teaching too highly. After A-levels I could just about order stamps and a beer in German, a few years "on the Job" was what I needed and I can now even order red wine and envelopes!! ha ha! (and Hefe Weizen of course!!).
Old 21-08-2003, 14:40   #12
Junior Member+

Hi:

My name is Arthur Walton, born and lived in Accrington until I was 23 years old. Attended Hollins, worked at Platt's as an apprentice and toolmaker until the age of 23. Moved to Germany, stationed in several countries with a construction equipment manufacturing company. Ended up moving to the U S A in 1985, married with three children. Very little contact with England anymore.
I would like to travel to England for several weeks and get some of the histor, and past experiences back.
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 06:52   #13

Does living in Kent count as being an ex-pat?  It quite often feels like living in another country!
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2003, 06:45   #14

Hi Marilyn,
Isle of Sheppey by any chance ? Get down there 3 or 4 times a year to visit daughter.
Just wondered -- it can be a small world.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:20   #15

Slightly more inland than Sheppey - near Dartford. We have lived here for 25 years after 9 years in Hampshire. I still get asked where I come from despite living in the south longer than I ever lived in Accy.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..