Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree209Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2017, 09:24   #271
Beacon of light

Re: Exit Polls

Well, I have nothing to hide...and I am not a despicable leftie..But I do not want an I D card.
I have explained why in posts for a long time.
I have no evidence that makes me want to change my mind.
If crims can fake other documents then they will fake these lucratively.
ID cards rely on them being carried by everyone and being subject to scrutiny.
I have seen how the border forces work at passport points in airports...not much scrutiny is given to these documents.

As for Latin, it is a language that helps you to understand the roots of words.
It was the language of learning in the dim and distant past, but has relevance in legal and medical circles who still use many Latin terms. Many Latin abbreviations are used in our own language, and if you have learned latin, then many other language doors are easier to open.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2017, 09:37   #272
Beacon of light

Here is a link to one of the threads...perhaps you might like to peruse it.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...y-47273-4.html
And here is a link to a more recent one.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rds-69186.html
Old 25-07-2017, 22:35   #273

Quote:

Anyone who was taught Latin at school should consider themselves very lucky as it is the basis of understanding words and their meanings..
Being taught at a catholic grammar, I had Latin rammed down my throat!!

Although, 60 plus years later, apart from Hic Haec Hoc, (not even sure that is correct!), all I can remember is Cashy's tagline, NLTBGYD!

Roughly translated as :
Non illeggitimae carborundum
(Never let the barstewards grind you down!)
hilleluk likes this.

Last edited by Neil; 26-07-2017 at 09:53. Reason: fix quote
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 09:55   #274
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I've no real objection to some form of I.D. so long as if, when the Government introduces it then I shouldn't have to send in money to obtain that I.D. that is just another form of tax.

The government should be happy to foot the bill for increased security and all the other anti fraud type benefits ID cards would bring. I'd like it to contain your driving licence as well so we don't have to pay for that and carry 2 cards.

They could use personal ID numbers linked to car insurance policies so the Police know exactly who is insured to drive a car.

Technology can be a good thing
Less, cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 26-07-2017, 12:32   #275
Beacon of light

If you can trust the government to protect your information.
technology is a tool and a tool that is sharp is a boon, but a tool that is not what it should be,is dangerous even in skilled hands.
It seems that criminals are better at technology than governments are.

Neil, I do not see how our personal security will be increased or improved. Those who have criminal intent will just not carry ID cards....or will clone ID cards of innocent people.(if someone can somehow clone your information and add THEIR biometric details, then you really are done for....how then will you,prove that you are the real you?)

When there is some mechanism by which this problem can be overcome, then that will be a step forward.

The other question is... how are the I D cards to be policed....or perhaps that is not quite the right word. There is no point in having something if no one ever scrutinises it.
Old 26-07-2017, 12:34   #276
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I'd like it to contain your driving licence as well so we don't have to pay for that and carry 2 cards.
Tell me about it, I have to have a Photo Drivers licence, Photo Drivers card for HGV's, Photo medical card, "Aufenhaltserlaubnis papers" (legal registration to live & work in Germany) & carry my passport to verify who & what I am!

A single all inclusive card would be nice.
Old 26-07-2017, 14:09   #277
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Tell me about it, I have to have a Photo Drivers licence, Photo Drivers card for HGV's, Photo medical card, "Aufenhaltserlaubnis papers" (legal registration to live & work in Germany) & carry my passport to verify who & what I am!

A single all inclusive card would be nice.
You and I have had to carry numerous ID cards throughout our adult lives - I also had one as a child. A couple or so Units I had to carry out work at required more than one ID - never had a problem with them at all.
Old 26-07-2017, 14:30   #278
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The best I.D. I ever had was when I was self employed, for some reason one site I was working on wouldn't let anyone on unless they had a card with photo issued by the tax office.
I spent hours (and money) getting it issued.
They looked at it once!
Years later I went to sign on the dole, 'have you proof of identity?'.
Yes I replied and brought out that card.
'That's no good' came the reply, 'we don't accept anything from the tax office, do you have your birth certificate?'.

Last edited by Less; 26-07-2017 at 14:33.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 14:36   #279
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

a similar thing with me when i returned from living in Spain, i was asked for I.D. and all i had with me was my Spanish Residencia card with photo and signature on, i was told we dont accept that.its issued by the Spanish Government says i, no matter we dont accept.
Old 27-07-2017, 08:00   #280
God Member

the problem with showing I.D. if required is that not all people have a driving licence or a passport. can cause problems for people. my ex wife always had a problem due to this. everyone thinks everyone has one or both which is a lazy assumption.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:14   #281
Beacon of light

I no longer have a passport...but recently had to get one of the photo driving licences...anyone looking at that picture would be hard pressed to recognise me.
I have never, ever been asked for ID.
I carried ID all through my career...was never asked to produce it once.
I visited many departments in our local hospital and in others too. Not once did anyone ever ask me to prove who I was.
This is the problem with ID cards...why have them if they are never scrutinised?

Perhaps at some point in the future all babies will be microchipped...this is not such a ludicrous idea as there is currently a company in the US that has offered microchipping to its workers and 50 of the 60 people employed have accepted this. Makes me shudder at some of the implications, but there you are.
It would not do for us all to think the same way.(I have, over the years,developed a very strong level of cynicism and suspicion)

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 27-07-2017 at 09:21.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..