Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 12:55   #436
Give, give, give member

Re: Expenses, expenses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If someone who knew me asked, via FOI, for info about me, I would assume that they considered that they wouldn't get the truth by asking me.
I would regard that as an insult

Sadly for them, I think the general public rate politicans down there with estate agents and used car salesmem, in the league of trustworthiness.

Which is a shame for those who are.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2009, 05:13   #437
God Member

Post Re: Expenses, expenses...

I think it is sad that I can be called a 'silly mindless bitch' just for giving an opinion on this matter.

It's free information, you can't STOP what someone does with it so I suppose the only point of being able to ask what it was going to be used for is to prepare yourself for what is to come.

I've always been of the view in any case that it makes no sense to act guilty if you aren't guilty. And if you're innocent then you'll have no need to worry.

I think politicians are given too much money for accommodation and food allowances personally.

Anyway this silly mindless bitch has to go to work today and arguing against my right to information seems pointless to me, so I'll leave you all to it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:30   #438
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I think politicians are given too much money for accommodation and food allowances personally.
Just wait till you end up in a job where you have to travel away from your family and friends. I can assure you, at every opportunity you will be asking for a rise in expenses.
I can't really see the big deal in any of these phone bills or the london expenses or any of the other expenses. These people do a job. If they are away from home they should have a decent life and reasonable compensation. £10 in london for a meal? Your having a laugh! If you are in work and in London for your job you should be able to have food and drink to a level you are happy with. Sometimes it might be £10, sometimes it might be £40, but you should have the option as it is not exactly your choice to be in London in the first place.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44   #439
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Just wait till you end up in a job where you have to travel away from your family and friends. I can assure you, at every opportunity you will be asking for a rise in expenses.
I can't really see the big deal in any of these phone bills or the london expenses or any of the other expenses. These people do a job. If they are away from home they should have a decent life and reasonable compensation. £10 in london for a meal? Your having a laugh! If you are in work and in London for your job you should be able to have food and drink to a level you are happy with. Sometimes it might be £10, sometimes it might be £40, but you should have the option as it is not exactly your choice to be in London in the first place.

I found an all you can eat buffet in London for a fiver last time I was there. Obviously I have to stay in hostels when I'm in London though because I can't afford that much. I'm in London next weekend actually. Not sure I'll be near the buffet place though, its just down the road from Imperial College though. I forget what the road is called. Something to do with Museums though I think because there are a few museums on that road! I ate at that buffet place every day the time before last I was in London.

Obviously expenses should be different depending on the place of work though. London allowances shouldn't be the same as if you were visiting a town for example.

And obviously you get an allowance for personal calls, which is fair enough, I'm not saying there should be no personal calls at all, but it should be reasonable.

The fact that I'm saying the expenses Graham paid for himself shouldn't be included in the final sum isn't offensive in my opinion. It currently makes him look like he spends more public money than he does, so it should at least highlight how much of that he offsets himself. I don't see why anyone would disagree with that.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:01   #440
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
I found an all you can eat buffet in London for a fiver last time I was there.
Well good effort and 10 out of 10 for exploration and time wasting. When working in London I generally find myself pretty tired at the end of the day and like to think that my employer gives me enough kitty to eat in the hotel I'm staying at, or somewhere convenient to me, no matter what it costs. I don't see why I should have to explore to find the cheapest. If I'm away for a while then yes, exploration will be done, but if I'm on a quick business trip then locality and convenience comes before cost.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:18   #441
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Amen to that Roy, absolutely spot on, as some one who worked away from home on a regular basis, you could actually build up a good list of where to stay and were to eat at reasonable costs, but when your on the odd visit representing the local authority, you don't get time to walk around looking for bargain of the day in the food stakes, especially in central London, which is a nightmare at the best of times
Old 06-03-2009, 11:45   #442
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Amen to that Roy, absolutely spot on, as some one who worked away from home on a regular basis, you could actually build up a good list of where to stay and were to eat at reasonable costs, but when your on the odd visit representing the local authority, you don't get time to walk around looking for bargain of the day in the food stakes, especially in central London, which is a nightmare at the best of times
I've said before many times, no one should be out of pocket when it comes to expenses, and no one would have needed to be if the independently recommended limits had been accepted, as can be clearly seen in neighbouring boroughs to Hyndburn. There was even a London weighting suggested, which seems a reasonable recommendation, but which the Conservative councillors also chose to ignore.

There is a difference between the private and public sector. I never had a limit for expenses. My bosses accepted I wouldn't take advantage by ordering a la carte and quaffing Cristal champagne at their expense. There are firms in the city who've been happy to settle £10,000 lunch bills, though I expect that this might not be the case now, and such past extravagances may have long term effects on such companies.

Sadly if there isn't a limit there's always going to be someone who's going to take the proverbial, and that isn't acceptable when it's being funded by Council Tax payers, many of whom are struggling to feed themselves and their families, whilst keeping a roof over their heads, and trying to find the money to pay our ever increasing bills.

Old 06-03-2009, 13:09   #443
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think it is sad that I can be called a 'silly mindless bitch' just for giving an opinion on this matter.

It's free information, you can't STOP what someone does with it so I suppose the only point of being able to ask what it was going to be used for is to prepare yourself for what is to come.

I've always been of the view in any case that it makes no sense to act guilty if you aren't guilty. And if you're innocent then you'll have no need to worry.

Anyway this silly mindless bitch has to go to work today and arguing against my right to information seems pointless to me, so I'll leave you all to it.
I don't disagree with a lot you say. On the allowances question, the level generally is too high.

I would also like to see the council take a good look as to whether some of these trips and conferences are really necessary in the first place.

You mention how much it cost you in London the last time you went. The last time I went I probably managed it just as cheap. I stayed in St Paul's Youth Hostel in the centre of London. And went to Weatherspoons for something to eat.

I am not sure though that I could persuade the leader of the council to stay in a youth hostel.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 15:21   #444
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
I am not sure though that I could persuade the leader of the council to stay in a youth hostel.
I would not expect him too either, would you?
Old 06-03-2009, 18:40   #445
Give, give, give member

'Members of Lancashire's Police Authority have voted unanimously not to increase the annual member allowances in the coming year.'

“In the current economic turbulence we did not feel that we should increase our own allowances while asking for even greater efficiencies and productivity gains from the constabulary.”

No cash rise for Lancashire Police Authority (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Good to see at least one public body showing a modicum of common sense, and empathetic decency.

Old 06-03-2009, 20:21   #446
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Members of Lancashire's Police Authority have voted unanimously not to increase the annual member allowances in the coming year.'

“In the current economic turbulence we did not feel that we should increase our own allowances while asking for even greater efficiencies and productivity gains from the constabulary.”

Good to see at least one public body showing a modicum of common sense, and empathetic decency.
it aint just good, its great, the vote being UNANIMOUS. well done fer once the police.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:19   #447
God Member

I actually just walked past the place on the street on my way to the tube and then went back on my way home.

London is full of cheap places to eat.

As for places to stay, the colleges and universities with accommodation often allow you to pay to stay in their rooms, which is cheaper than a hotel and good quality.

I find it quite rich that people are quite willing to justify a politicians taste in accommodation and food but the moment they book a holiday to the bahamas for a fortnight or have their hair cut there is an uproar.

I don't pay much tax, so it isn't my money that is currently being wasted on these politicians.

My friends at university went down to downing street the other week and have been completely disillusioned about national politics. None of the politicians they met there cared about the north, or the other students they met from the more prominent universities. We're going to have generations of career politicians and they aren't going to give a damn about you unless you suddenly stop paying your taxes.

You should be encouraging people like Andrew to take an interest in politics, because he's the minority and he's the only chance you have actually got at improvement unless you're willing to improve things for yourselves.

Shoot him for being a student politician and you'll be shooting yourselves in the foot.

I on the other hand will continue with my own education and if that makes me mindless, well fair enough, but at least I'm trying to make things better for myself and getting on with it, which is more than can be said for a lot of people my age, most of them ruining your town, stealing from you, impregnating your daughters and generally dragging it deeper into the gutter.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:01   #448
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

'Councillors in Preston have voted not to give themselves a pay rise.'

"The panel feel, however, that the recommendations put forward will be construed as being appropriate, especially in the current climate."

'Preston councillors currently receive the third-highest basic allowance in Lancashire, behind West Lancashire and Hyndburn. The lowest allowance, of £1,500, is paid to members of South Ribble Council.'

Councillors vote for a pay freeze after panel's recommendations - Lancashire Evening Post

Common sense appears to be spreading across the county, though sadly it bypassed us here in Hyndburn, or at least the Conservative councillors on H.B.C.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:08   #449
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If someone who knew me asked, via FOI, for info about me, I would assume that they considered that they wouldn't get the truth by asking me.
I would regard that as an insult
I'm sure G Jones can handle a few insults from the Tories but try insulting a Tory on Accyweb and it's a warning for you

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:31   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I'm sure G Jones can handle a few insults from the Tories but try insulting a Tory on Accyweb and it's a warning for you
have you not read the rest of the thread then?????

Think Andrewb has had his fair share of insults as well as Mr Jones
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mudslinging, politics

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..