Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 19:29   #1
Junior Member+

Express gifts

How does Express Gifts still keep going when it has the worst management skills possible. I know people who have had 13 week contract and then been laid off after 6 weeks with no good reason. As this person along with the other people walked out because they had been informed that there was no work they passed other people who were coming in who had just been hired for 13 weeks,all this when these others had just been informed that there was no work? This kind of treatment will only cease when Express gifts has to pay these employees the full 13 weeks even if they are laid off before that period is up. But more importantly the people who are finding employment for people shouldent send any body to this establishment, till their management skills are improved and this mistreatment of human beings is looked into by the relevant authority.
torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-08-2011, 21:15   #2

Re: Express gifts

The problem with Express Gifts is not what you know, it's more like who you know.

I've worked there for most of my adult life I got sacked from EGL in 2003 and they put a DNR (Do Not Re-Employ) on my personnel file, Although I did try and take them to a tribunal with the useless union I was in.
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 21:44   #3
Junior Member+

A few years ago express gifts employed people from Poland providing accommodation for them but charged the Poles, Express gifts said that there were not any peole in Hyndburn with the work ethic capable the truth of the matter was that most people in Hyndburn knew what they were like as employers.
torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 22:01   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

they have always been crap employers, this is nowt new, me nephew worked yon fer a few years before the xmas period, they used to send fer him, was the only job he could get, then a few years ago they didn't, so his mam sent him down to ask, he was told sorry weve employed polish people.
Old 24-11-2011, 08:48   #5

I have worked in some places but this place takes the biscuit.... They invest time and money training ppl who HAVE TO GET over 80% in tests or they are out the door.... whatever happened to learning the practical way? They expect ALOT for crap money and conditions.... I kid you not I walked after only getting 75% in an exam and being asked to go outside to discuss it - being the only one I felt humilated.... But they are hot on time keeping... which is good BUT man a kid was 30 seconds late one day and she practically got her marching orders... As for work exthic there were some guys in there who worked 30+ hours overtime and they sold sold sold sold.... they really wanted work and they were English it was temporary and out of maybe 50+ temps there MIGHT have been 3 or 4 jobs going.... I have NOT heard ONE good thing about that place....

Last edited by Neil; 24-11-2011 at 09:35. Reason: *'s
lomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 10:05   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Yes, well, it is a rubbish place worked there twice would rather starve than ever work there again.

Even the guy down the dole mentioned to me, they're taking on at Express Gifts.
I asked, have you ever worked there?
He replied, yes I have, we'll look for something else shall we?
And he really is trying hard to get me back to work and off his books.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 14:18   #7
God Member

express gifts has such an awfull record they had to import a workforce because no one would work for them.

I worked there and was sacked because i went in monday after finding out my grandfather had died on the sunday asking if i could attend the funeral that day even though i appologised about teh short notice explaining that i had only just found out about it.

im pretty sure the records will show i was sacked for smacking the idiot in charge but he had already told me i was fired before that happened

i know one guy who was sacked for not looking interested in his work which at the time was sweeping up as it was a quiet moment.

If you ever find yourself invited for an interview take a big bat and give into temptation because it will occur lol

16 years ago i was there maybe more and from what iv heard it hasnt improved

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 24-11-2011 at 14:21.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 21:25   #8
Senior Member+

I have had relatives that worked there on temperary contracts, 13 weeks was mentioned, finished after 6 weeks with the word that there was no more work. Yet at the same time a new batch of temperary workers walked in as they walked out. Something is not right about this. Its not just express gifts, kleeneze are the same firm operating out of the call centre at clayton, the managment there are just the same as express, so they must be acting on some epistle from on high.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 10:02   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I have had relatives that worked there on temperary contracts, 13 weeks was mentioned, finished after 6 weeks with the word that there was no more work. Yet at the same time a new batch of temperary workers walked in as they walked out. Something is not right about this. Its not just express gifts, kleeneze are the same firm operating out of the call centre at clayton, the managment there are just the same as express, so they must be acting on some epistle from on high.
I believe Kleeneze are now owned by Express Gifts. So you are quite right.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really

Last edited by Benipete; 25-11-2011 at 10:07.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 11:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post

Yes they now own Kleeneze, in fact they have for the last 2/3 years.
Old 26-11-2011, 22:42   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
its a bit bigger than that, express gifts, kleeneze, and studio mail order are all owned by findel plc. there are probably more, but dont know. and the theme all the way accross the board is they treat staff like disposable crap

I think these emoticons are getting roody doody
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:32   #12
God Member

Nearly everyone I know seems to have worked there at some point. I've never worked there but it seemed to me to be alright if you did only want to work a few weeks before moving on to somewhere else. In my experience of doing short term employment like that though you nearly always get paid the wrong amount (and never in a good way) and then you get treated like you're an idiot the whole time you're there. Yet somehow there always seems to be a handful of people who HAVE been there forever and they think they're amazing.

Well it isn't amazing to be in a job like that all your life, you're probably a mug. If anyone is looking for a job right now, aim high. As much as it is tempting to apply for the jobs that seem like you can just walk right into them, it is worth putting in the extra effort and ironing your shirt to get a better job.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:42   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
you're probably a mug.
Yeah, toiling away.

Spending a lifetime paying taxes.

Funding the education system, etc.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:43   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Nearly everyone I know seems to have worked there at some point. I've never worked there but it seemed to me to be alright if you did only want to work a few weeks before moving on to somewhere else. In my experience of doing short term employment like that though you nearly always get paid the wrong amount (and never in a good way) and then you get treated like you're an idiot the whole time you're there. Yet somehow there always seems to be a handful of people who HAVE been there forever and they think they're amazing.

Well it isn't amazing to be in a job like that all your life, you're probably a mug. If anyone is looking for a job right now, aim high. As much as it is tempting to apply for the jobs that seem like you can just walk right into them, it is worth putting in the extra effort and ironing your shirt to get a better job.
My daughters half sister has worked there for over 20 years, she seems to like it
Old 27-11-2011, 11:04   #15

My Mum worked there for about 25 years. She had different jobs there. I worked half my adult life there doing one job or the other.

You do get treated like crap even my mum did.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..