Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2005, 15:52   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Extremist Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
But we are not using the term in a derogatory sense........these children are illegitimate.
derogatory or not they are not illigitimate and they are not bastards and i couldnt give a sh1t what a book says ...sorry but thats how i feel .....my last post before i say something il regret

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
Accrington Web
Old 24-05-2005, 16:19   #47
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Oh dear....this sounds familiar.

Anyway, just to change the subject slightly. Now that Driller is banned, can I have my Ackers back? It cost me 100 trying to nick some off him, without success. I notice Billcat tried to do the same, and it cost him 200, so please can we have 'em back?
It was worth the attempt, even though it failed.

What the exchange rate between the US Dollar and the AccyWeb acker? Or is the answer, "You can't get there from here?"

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Old 24-05-2005, 16:29   #48
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER
but we no longer live in the past where that term was acceptable this is they year 2005 and not 1905 or even 1955 many of my friends are parents and they are not wed some are even single parents just because a child is born out of wedlock DOES NOT make it illigitimate and a bastard .......ignorance is bliss
Just consulted with my (sorry, folks) Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.

illegitimate, adj., 1: not recognized as lawful offspring: specif. born of parents not married to each other (emphasis added)

Even an dictionary of American English clearly shows that a child born out of wedlock is illegitimate. Blackburn Raver, you are free to disagree, but a few of us have provided authoritative documentation to support our position. Suggest that you may wish to do the same.

I'll happily forego the use of "bastard," as it carries a lot of additional pejorative connotations.

Old 24-05-2005, 16:51   #49
God Member

>>derogatory or not they are not illigitimate and they are not bastards and i couldnt give a sh1t what a book says <<

Happily for society as a whole and civilisation in general, you are in a fairly small minority there.

The fact remains that, like it or not, any child born to an unmarried mother is illegitimate in the eyes of the law and thus a bastard. There are some who have revelled in the apellation; William the Conqueror was commonly referred to as William the Bastard and later in the fifteenth century one of the illegitimate sons of the French king (I forget which one) rejoiced in the ludicrous title of The Grand Bastard of Burgundy.

Indeed, I have even been known to refer to myself as "Bastard, by name and by nature!"
Old 24-05-2005, 16:59   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat
Just consulted with my (sorry, folks) Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.

illegitimate, adj., 1: not recognized as lawful offspring: specif. born of parents not married to each other (emphasis added)

Even an dictionary of American English clearly shows that a child born out of wedlock is illegitimate. Blackburn Raver, you are free to disagree, but a few of us have provided authoritative documentation to support our position. Suggest that you may wish to do the same.

I'll happily forego the use of "bastard," as it carries a lot of additional pejorative connotations.
LIKE I SAY I COULDNT GIVE A SH1T ABOUT A FRIKIN BOOK ..POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS THE NAME OF THE GAME THESE DAYS, IF YOU CANT CALL A BLACK A BLACK THEN WHY CAN YOU STILL CALL A BABY A BASTARD ....BOLL**S TO A BOOK ....YOU ARE A BIGOT (One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.).....SEEING AS YOU ARE ALL QUOTIONG THE GREAT BOOK

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
Old 24-05-2005, 17:18   #51
I am Banned

anyone want a cookie

Last edited by chav1; 24-05-2005 at 17:19.
Old 24-05-2005, 17:22   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
LIKE I SAY I COULDNT GIVE A SH1T ABOUT A FRIKIN BOOK ..POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS THE NAME OF THE GAME THESE DAYS, IF YOU CANT CALL A BLACK A BLACK THEN WHY CAN YOU STILL CALL A BABY A BASTARD ....BOLL**S TO A BOOK ....YOU ARE A BIGOT (One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.).....SEEING AS YOU ARE ALL QUOTIONG THE GREAT BOOK
Political Correctness remains just what it was intended to be: a sophisticated and dangerous form of censorship and oppression, imposed upon the citizenry with the ultimate goal of manipulating, brainwashing and destroying our society.

Old 24-05-2005, 17:24   #53
God Member

It may be true to say that an infant has no influence over the marital status of its parents and thus cannot be blamed for the circumstances of its birth. On the other hand there are some schools of thought which would argue the opposite, insisting that the soul actively chooses the life that it is to be born into.

Generally speaking though the use of the terms "Bastard" and "Illegitimate" have been applied to such children for thousands of years without anyone thinking to change them for something nicer. If the words carry a negative or perjorative connotation then that is the result of such words being used to convey a meaning which is different to that which was originally the case. If you find offence in such words then may I respectfully suggest that the offence lies not in the word but in your own ear.
Old 24-05-2005, 17:24   #54
I am Banned

Quote:
how can a child be a bastard ? a bastard is fatherless...and the last time i knew the only way a woman could get pregnant was by the sperm produced by man ..thus being the childs father ...so no child in this world is fatherless and to call them bastards is nothing less than ignorant ...
bastard dosnt mean fatherless it means born out of wedlock

my kids are bastards coz i wasnt married when hey were born

been born out of wedlock used to be a shamefull thing so calling somone a bastard was an insult

these days most people are born out of wedlock so theres no shame attatched to it any more

non the less the name stands correct so if born to parents who are not married at the time of birth a bastard ye be
Old 24-05-2005, 17:43   #55
I am Band

Thumbs up Re: Extremist Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Political Correctness remains just what it was intended to be: a sophisticated and dangerous form of censorship and oppression, imposed upon the citizenry with the ultimate goal of manipulating, brainwashing and destroying our society.
Thank you, Baz, for enlightening us to the finer? points of political correctness.

You have just won yourself some karma points.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Old 24-05-2005, 20:19   #56
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf

Well said Bazf...........and I totally agree.
Old 24-05-2005, 20:20   #57
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Apparently, you are not only foul-mouthed, but you fail to read and comprehend. I cited authorities, and I decidely did not call anyone a bastard. In fact, I cited reasons why I choose to refrain from using that term. Instead, you reply with a foul stream of coarse invective that says a whole lot about your own lack of character.

One can only hope that the administrators see fit to deal with you as you so richly deserve.

Old 24-05-2005, 20:23   #58

For the time being, I am closing this thread until Roy or someone else decides what to do with it.

The best way to annoy someone like this > Ignore them and don't bite.

Regards.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..