Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2016, 17:11   #1
Full Member+

F.I.F.A & Poppies

I hope the F.A. ignore F.I.F.A s ruling that the England and Welsh teams who play each other next week cannot wear poppies on their strips. They say it is against the rules. Well rules were made to be broken. It is not like the poppy is a symbol of any political organisation. I think F.I.F.A. should stop and consider what the poppy really stands for and if it were not for the men that are remembered with them they would probably not exist. The F.A. should put extra large poppies on the shirts and put two fingers up to this outrageous ruling.
cashman and Greeny like this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2016, 17:34   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: F.I.F.A & Poppies

FIFA only know about back handers and money fiddling. I have signed a petition about this matter, The bitch now running FIFA makes Blatter look sensible.
Old 02-11-2016, 17:47   #3
Beacon of light

What would FIFA do if the teams had the poppy emblem printed on their shirts?
Would they call off the game, declare the result invalid, banish the teams to the edges of the world???
My guess is none of these and if I were managing the teams I would do exactly that....have the shirts printed with the biggest poppy they would take.(front and back)
The men who gave their lives in the defence of our country should be honoured and it is only a coward who would be cowed by this decision.
I have signed the petition too....not that I think it will do much good.
gpick24 and hilleluk like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 18:17   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

From how i understand it Margaret the F.A. will be fined if they do not obey these cretins, and they aint got the balls to defy em is my guess. i also dont think my signature will make any difference, but doing nowt aint an option in my book,
Old 02-11-2016, 18:24   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Wasn't there something like this a couple of years ago?

I seem to remember a similar storm but in a different tea cup.

Those men faught for freedom, gave their lives for freedom of thought and freedom of action, their lives will have been wasted if people can't choose when or where they commemorate those sacrificed to give us all free will.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 18:29   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Wasn't there something like this a couple of years ago?

I seem to remember a similar storm but in a different tea cup.

Those men faught for freedom, gave their lives for freedom of thought and freedom of action, their lives will have been wasted if people can't choose when or where they commemorate those sacrificed to give us all free will.
yeh 2011 i think less, but fifa (Blatter) had the sense to relent and let em wear poppies on armbands,this new bitch seems totally stupid going off tonights news interview.
Old 02-11-2016, 18:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh 2011 i think less, but fifa (Blatter) had the sense to relent and let em wear poppies on armbands,this new bitch seems totally stupid going off tonights news interview.
As you know I don't do football, maybe this is a good reason why I don't, it's supposed to be a game, if they can't play together, without stupid politics, maybe it's time to give up?

Though I would rather continue to ignore the game and have you and others go back to a sensible and friendly way of playing it, after all you are free to choose, thanks to the guys commemorated by the poppy.
Restless likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 18:41   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The players in general can less, its the dickheads running the show thats the problem, fail to see why football and the fans should pack it in.
Old 02-11-2016, 18:43   #9

Quote:
The players in general can less, its the dickheads running the show thats the problem, fail to see why football and the fans should pack it in.
I'd meant give up the FIFA malarky not give up your enjoyment of the game.
Old 02-11-2016, 18:47   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
From how i understand it Margaret the F.A. will be fined if they do not obey these cretins, and they aint got the balls to defy em is my guess. i also dont think my signature will make any difference, but doing nowt aint an option in my book,
So the FA will be fined. I will send them a straw to help them suck it up.
Less, cashman and odders like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 19:52   #11
Full Member+

I too signed the petition. Maybe it will not make a scrap of difference but I feel I have done my bit. Their rule forbids any religious or political emblems .How on earth the poppy can be regarded as either is beyond me. Here's hoping the F.A. will do the right thing and tell the two teams to wear their poppies with pride as they should.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 20:19   #12
God Member

Pleased to hear on Radio 5 tonight that the EFA, SFA, and the WFA will allow players to wear a 'poppy' armband in the forthcoming games.
Quite right.
Don't know how FIFA has the brass neck to pronounce on anything given its status as one of the most corrupt and corrupted 'businesses' in the world.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:58   #13

Does this ban extend to the fans in the stands?
I think anyone trying to tell them not to wear one would get short shift....

It is only because of those that died in the great wars that those players are able to play on that football ground today. So it is in the FA and FIFA's interest to respect those that died so that they can still play games and make money doing so.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:38   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Fifa should just wind their necks in, the issue is no concern of theirs & they should concentrate on getting their own house in order & promoting football & football only, not politics or causes.

The cretin behind the demand, ex minor UN "functionary", of Senegalese origin, what exactly then qualifies her to open her blabbering, non thinking mouth as to how we commemorate our fallen troops?
Old 03-11-2016, 08:46   #15

Dont 'they' remember that quite a few football players signed up and gave their lives in WW1. Pretty poor show if 'they' are not willing to remember 'their own'.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..