Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2005, 15:53   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Fairground ride imported for Mayor making weekend in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Here is the first artist's impression of the complex to be built on the site of the Sacred Heart:
nice one tealeaf
Old 17-04-2005, 16:06   #62
I am Banned

The mosque wont be funded by the council. it is to be privately funded. However I dont think it will happen because plans have been submitted for the 'whole' area and would need fresh planning permission to change. I am not bothered about the mosque. What is worrying is though is I think we should seperate religion from education/politics ASAP.

Britcliffe's warden scheme is more concerning. A lot of people will get taken into believing they are about to get wardens, especially for instance their is the odd sighting up Rishton town centre for eg. 2 wardens for 11 wardens, ie 74 hours a week, excluding holidays is nothing. Particularly if your 3 hour slot [x2 wardens 6 man hours] is monday afternoon.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 17-04-2005 at 16:28.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 16:10   #63

It says a lot for integration of the races when as my son came home from school recently to inform me that a young asian male there was wearing an anti racism band- the one supposed to be worn as one white & one black band together- but was proudly declaring to all how he had removed the white band. If it was the other way round what sort of furore would there be. I have no qualms with other races integrating as long as they do but it is about time the racism act was clarified to ensure it works both ways. If we went to their claimed homeland & started asking for the things we have at home we would be shown the door. Maybe the Romans got it right with when in Rome....
Old 17-04-2005, 16:41   #64
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al
It says a lot for integration of the races when as my son came home from school recently to inform me that a young asian male there was wearing an anti racism band- the one supposed to be worn as one white & one black band together- but was proudly declaring to all how he had removed the white band. If it was the other way round what sort of furore would there be. I have no qualms with other races integrating as long as they do but it is about time the racism act was clarified to ensure it works both ways. If we went to their claimed homeland & started asking for the things we have at home we would be shown the door. Maybe the Romans got it right with when in Rome....
I know the logic of this thread but thats not how it works. Lets take spanish land laws or the violence, vandelism, anti-social behavior across the med +++ or the closed colonies and little englands around the globe that sneer outside their walls at the nations they inhabit ----green green grass of home & there will always be an england----

When I was in Kenya it was disgraceful how [it has to be said Toffs] all the english people where stinking rich but still exploited every thing out of Kenya and its people. The language used, the ignorance to the law or lack of any civil decency to people who worked in the most horrendous conditions you may conjure up.

We are [or is that used to be] a fair play decent nation and we dont need ambassadors like these who besmirch our country. The immigration system may need adjusting, as may the benefit system and the handout culture, but treating people like rubbish is unacceptable and I nearly wrote definately not British. However its all to common in a celebrity, money, get what you can Tory society to see Brits behave badly, expecially to others perceived as not British.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 17-04-2005 at 16:45.
Old 17-04-2005, 17:27   #65
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Graham you are now in danger of acting like Tony Blair and showing more interest in other parts of the world than looking at the problems we have here first.
I for one am only interested in what this country does with our immigrants and visitors, I've no interest in Little England’s in Spain or anywhere else that's for their governments to deal with.
The fact that we are talking of the muslim religion maybe getting some public money to finance a place of worship is what I see as the problem.
You attempted to answer the question but like a true politician you quickly changed the subject to another topic, nice try.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 18:37   #66
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Graham you are now in danger of acting like Tony Blair and showing more interest in other parts of the world than looking at the problems we have here first.
I for one am only interested in what this country does with our immigrants and visitors, I've no interest in Little England’s in Spain or anywhere else that's for their governments to deal with.
The fact that we are talking of the muslim religion maybe getting some public money to finance a place of worship is what I see as the problem.
You attempted to answer the question but like a true politician you quickly changed the subject to another topic, nice try.
Apologies. Was speaking to the broader issue.

1. No public money.
2. Chances of being built - Very Little but Britcliffe and his cabinet make the final decision.
3. Biggest problems in Hyndburn are [Quick List]
A) Housing [Lifespan/Condition/Ownership etc..]
B) Greed/Yob Culture/Dont Care Culture/Me myself and I
C) Low value added employment/low esteem/poor health [big problem]
D) Retail/Commercial heart/non built up environment
E) Community Cohesion/Community inaction/hand out culture
F) A culture of clinging to the past [eg part of educated youth migration problem] *** obvioulsy excluding historic buildings and heritage ***

I could have had a list of specifics as long as your arm but hopefully all that list will fall under one of these themes. I didnt include the Council [and workshy politicians] because I expect them to be part of the solution!!! Ignorance plays a big part in the list.

4. If I had the power what 5 things would I do
A) Wardens with maximum powers backed up by community specials. Look at other TOUGH new powers to clean up the borough. Business and Residents.
B) Target Landlords and have a housing strategy for all the people WITH HOUSES THAT WILL LAST! Bad landlords = No.1 target
C) Rip up the Councils Constitution and burn it so never again are we ruled by egotists and political elites/dictators. Including an agenda of open/public democracy.
D) Planning & TC: Try and get private finance into the TC, rewrite planning laws to protect the TC and also the scourge of takeaways, office licences etc.. that blight outlying neighbourhoods
E) Stop flogging everything off, put some pride back into Hyndburn through what we do, own and share.
F) Stop borrowing money [esp for housing grants] unless we can make that money work for future generations, instead of leaving debts. Have an investigation in to how we went from £11m in debt to £27m under Cllr Britcliffe.

I could probably list a lot more... but these would be a start. Didn't include things the Council could not do like changing laws of the land.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 17-04-2005 at 18:47.
Old 17-04-2005, 18:56   #67
I am Banned

Quote:
F) Stop borrowing money [esp for housing grants] unless we can make that money work for future generations, instead of leaving debts. Have an investigation in to how we went from £11m in debt to £27m under Cllr Britcliffe.
well one reason could be that selling off all the council houses

because they have sold off nearly all the council propertys they now have to pay much higher rents to private landlords

i know of one person getting over £90 a week for a private house yet this would have been a lot less if there had been a council property available

2: more people claiming housing benefit

3: coucil tax so high people cant afford it ( not sure if council tax debts count towards the councils debts)

4: making buisness rates so high in the town centre the killed off nearly all local buisnesses so they no longer pay rates so no more income there

Last edited by chav1; 17-04-2005 at 19:05.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 19:01   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

graham-lets take spanish land laws!how much do you know about them?also anti social behaviour across the med,having lived in spain i have never witnessed antisocial behaviour from british residents,have from tourists british,german,etc i could not comment on kenya,never having lived there,i don't think i'm entitled,don't know about you sounding like tony blair,idi amin perhaps.
Old 17-04-2005, 19:10   #69
I am Banned

when my friends dad worked in saudi arabia one of his collegues was whipped in the street because he was drunk

although a british citizen he was flogged because he was in their country and had to obide by their rules

some people who come to this country dont see why they should respect our rules and do what they want and scream racist when somone complains or tries to put a stop to it

besides that when brits go abroad they may well like to keep their british identity but i highly doubt any british people start planning chemical attacks because they disagree with how things are in the country they moved to
Old 17-04-2005, 20:09   #70
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

An excellent response Graham and that's why you got my vote last time and will the next time. You don't hide away like our other councillor or councillors in the Peel ward, I can't remember the last time Britcliffe was quoted in the Observer criticising Bernard Dawson for speaking out.

As I live very near to you the list of problems would certainly apply to our street and the way it's being destroyed by scumbag landlords buying up the properties, may I add not cheaply as I thought so they must be making a lot out of someone.

The local off licences and Netto play a big part in the nightly yob culture, I've seen kids exiting both with carrier bags full of alcohol and nothing ever seems to be done even when it's reported.

On the subject of wardens why are they never around or visible, even when we had 24 of them, when they are needed the most, at night when the yob culture takes over?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 22:17   #71

I was not seeking with my post to return to a rule Brittania era. I appreciate that all of us regardless of skin, colour, creed etc have a right to life. However the natives of a country should have the right to uphold their laws & regulations, which is what happens in my case example of going to Pakistan or India etc. Rightly so as the majority rule. However the natives of this country have been taken for a ride over the past fourty years or so under the "British decency" & restore & right the wrongs the colonists did by lying down & letting our original laws & regs be steamrollered over in the name of "race relations. Common sense says that all things have to be equal but this law had been usurped & only works one way & that is against the natives. This is why I said that integration has to be a two way street, but this has been ignored. Could we go to Pakistan & build our churches, colonial halls etc now-no, but the reverse is not so here. My other half & I went shopping in Blackburn on Saturday & she is far from racist but said she felt in a minority because all she could see was Asian people everywhere. Perhaps that is why it is called BLACKBURN! & Accrington is not far behind.
Old 17-04-2005, 23:12   #72
I am Banned

although you are speaking the truth what you say would have you labled a racist even though that is not the case

ime affraid nothing will change for the better in our life time infact all i can see happening is things getting worse to the extent that our women will have to cover their legs as not to offend those whos beliefs say women should not show flesh

cant go uspeting other races can we now

i wonder how far we would get in pakistan etc playing the race card

if you dont like our ways then ****** off to a place where you do like their ways
as i have stated already i have a friend whos father worked in saudi arabia and when his wife went to visit she had to cover up her legs and wear a viel when in public and did so because it was their way

not to mention the fact that if she didnt she would probably be spat at and othe things

on a lighter note

apparently she was worth 2 cammels when my friends dad was asked to do a swap and its an offer he later regreted refusing because they divorced shortly after

Last edited by chav1; 17-04-2005 at 23:17.
Old 18-04-2005, 08:53   #73
Resident Waffler

I wish the CRE or what ever it is called these days (race relations board bods) could see that what they are doing is actually CREATING racists.

The majority of people would quite happily co-exist on a live and let live basis as long as what others were doing didn't affect their way of life. Unfortunately this isn't the case. As chav says, if we go to a muslim country where the women are expected to cover certain parts of their body then our women would be expected to comply. We wouldn't get away with complaining that it wasn't our way of doing things and that they were infringeing our civil liberties or being racist. Yet we have people who come here and not only want to live by their own standards (which is fine) but complain the the indiginous population doesn't live by those standards. If we complain about it then we are branded racist. It only takes a few times of being accused of something we are not before the accused worm turns and actually fits the profile of the accusation with a vengeance. Previously placid tolerant friendly people are becoming anti-muslim purely by having been labelled as such.

Presumably the CRE will then turn round and say that they knew that underneath these people were inherntly racist all along but just pretending not to be!

Now then, what has all this got to do with fairground rides?

Oh, just one quick question as the subject was touched on - housing benefit and the cost of £90 a week in private as opposed to cheaper in council housing............... isn't the benefit paid by central government rather than the local council? It still comes out of our pockets in the end I know, but it wouldn't affect HBC's coffers.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 10:38   #74
I am Banned

i realy dont know if rent is paid directly from the government or from the councils budget

when you apply for the dole that comes directly from the government and you apply at the job center but you apply for housing benefit seperatly at the town hall

if they came from the same place one would assume there would only be 1 set of forms to fill out but as the govenment likes to do things the hard way it wouldnt surprise me if it was 2 forms at 2 different locations to get money from the same place lol
Old 18-04-2005, 12:58   #75

Re racism: This is why it is important to read all comments in context. The fact is that the race relations act far from creating stability has been misused & turned in one direction only to favour our overseas visitors & offspring. If the parties that be were to address this so that irrespective of nationality all are protected equally ie if a native goes for a job with business run by a foreigner & feels has been discriminated against is given the same rights as for the other way round. The RRA does not provide this at present. Without this balance there in naturally bound to be upset & also plays right into the hands of the likes of the BNP etc.
Likewise my comment of when in Rome- we have to abide by overseas countries regs when visiting or even if going to live abroad- we cannot usurp or overrule their laws & regs, so why does this happen here? Simply back to the RRA, it is a misnomer of law that means foreigners claim it & we have to jump as high as they say. Other countries have integration but not the same race relations agro this country has because they do not have a stupid act as the RRA.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..