Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15   #46
Super Moderator

Re: Fake shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Why are the shops closing in the first place, is it because the people of Hyndburn no longer shop in the town, do we not take some responsibility for the demise of the town.
But surely the council have to address the problem of WHY people stopped shopping in
town? They didn't just stop for the hell of it. It's no use expecting them to return out of local loyalty. The town has to offer a more attractive proposition to would-be shoppers!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:23   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
its about responsibility of keeping towns to a certain standard. Ive always said the landlord or council should have to keep town centre properties to a certain standard its should be in their contracts. if the property owner cant afford it the council should step in and work in partnership.look at the example of the conservative club.we don't want half the town centre ending up like that.
That just proves you know little or nothing about life as it is, just how you perceive it should be in your utopian world of milk and honey, about time you actually joined the real world me thinks
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25   #48
Senior Member+

I new nothing about this fake shop, and drove past it just to see what it was about. If in the mind it looks occupied then then the perception is that there are not as many empty shops, and people will want to come into town. However if people believe that shops are shutting and there is nothing to come into town for then they will stay away and very soon the tipping point will be reached where the tumbleweed blows through town.

All I am saying is that if we all went into town to purchase one thing, it would help. Instead of blaming everyone else for the towns demise at least admit that we all contributed to it, and lets at least try to resuscitate the town before its too late.

On the other hand if we no longer want shops in town lets at least be honest and say that we prefer to shop outside of the town or online. I can remember when the town was packed with people shopping, and thats what we require again, people.
Stevie R likes this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:31   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
But surely the council have to address the problem of WHY people stopped shopping in
town? They didn't just stop for the hell of it. It's no use expecting them to return out of local loyalty. The town has to offer a more attractive proposition to would-be shoppers!

That is a factor, and I think the out of town shops contributed to the migration of people from the centre. However we get what we want by usage, if we no longer require certain items the shop adapts or shuts. We have to demonstrate that we want town centre shops by shopping in town, just as staying away says we don't want to shop in town. So if you want a town centre with shops, then lets shop in town, someone has to take the first step, and, I shop in town, who will be next?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40   #50
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post

All I am saying is that if we all went into town to purchase one thing, it would help. Instead of blaming everyone else for the towns demise at least admit that we all contributed to it, and lets at least try to resuscitate the town before its too late.
Well I make regular trips into town and buy more than one item per week, I find the people working in these shops both courteous and helpful.
Though I prefer to do my shopping in the pound shops rather than the numerous Charity shops, How can genuine shops compete against them? because of their charity status I believe they are exempt from the business taxes and might even get rent subsidies?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50   #51
Beacon of light

I shop in town on a regular basis....I buy something in the town centre every weekday...fruit, vegetables....fresh meat. But I do not linger to browse because it just isn't a good place to be. I can't quantify it any better than that.
We used to have a good bookstore...with a good range of books. I could lose myself for an hour or more just browsing(and sometimes spending)...we no longer have this.
The reasons are because people don't read the same...and can buy books online at a cheaper price....and when money is scarce you go to where the value is..loyalty has no place in an empty purse.

There have been changes in the way people shop,what they want to buy, but none of this has been taken into account....this fake shop business is not being inventive...it is just sidestepping the issues...being a bit of an ostrich.
So while it might not be all the councils fault, there are things that they could do to make things much better.
Example. Let people have the market stalls on Market days for a peppercorn rent.....a full and bustling market is tempting and gives a bigger footfall...which inevitably will have benficial effects for other traders.
If Broadway is going to remain vehicle free......consider moving market stalls to this site, get rid of the stalls on the Peel street side of the market - what few there are - make this area something else(not a car park)....again it would have a beneficial effect for the shops on Broadway.
Offer shops to diverse traders at low rent and rates.

There needs to be some innovative ideas to regenerate the town centre.
If it is to work, it needs to be done sooner rather than later, because the town is on borrowed time.
cashman, DtheP47, claytonx and 1 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:59   #52
God Member

aye jaysay you would be one of the first to complain if there was a gutter leaking on broadway there is one factor in this ,everybody is missing.who are the landlords who own most of the commercial properties in britain. yes we know now private equity firms who keep property as assets and raise the rents as high as possible for a quick buck and dont care what happens in town centres. this is why i think there should be a town centre responsibility law .if you go to thriving towns like bath ,there buildings are magnificent and highly maintained .accrington has some brilliant architecture but isnt highlighted there should be a growth plan not a pan to almagimate accrington ossy etc and turn it into a suburb of blackburn when it gets city status. i think that was highlighted years a ago in the great plan.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:08   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
aye jaysay you would be one of the first to complain if there was a gutter leaking on broadway there is one factor in this ,everybody is missing.who are the landlords who own most of the commercial properties in britain. yes we know now private equity firms who keep property as assets and raise the rents as high as possible for a quick buck and dont care what happens in town centres. this is why i think there should be a town centre responsibility law .if you go to thriving towns like bath ,there buildings are magnificent and highly maintained .accrington has some brilliant architecture but isnt highlighted there should be a growth plan not a pan to almagimate accrington ossy etc and turn it into a suburb of blackburn when it gets city status. i think that was highlighted years a ago in the great plan.
Pity really you have only got a one track mind, without these companies you keep stating in the private sector nobody would be working at all, mind you doubt if that would effect you that much, your probably unemployable with your lunatic left wing ethos
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:11   #54
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They don't need to falsify shop facades to stop it looking off putting Susie they just need to do something about the Maundy Army that make the centre such an unattractive place for people to come shopping, that costs nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Go to Bury and, apart from the usual quota of chavs found in most towns, you will not find an assortment of deadbeats and junkies wandering around as you do in Accy.
Yes I agree that they are the major part of the problem. But if "something" needs doing, what do you suggest that "something" should be? Once you have got the council to wake up to the fact that they are the problem that needs tackling, that is.

I don't think I have ever come across any concrete suggestions, either on Accyweb or elsewhere. And as for it costing nothing, how do you make that out?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:14   #55
Beacon of light

They will care when the properties are bringing in no revenue. Properties that are bringing in no money and are unnoccupied are a burden to companies - they still need to be cared for and maintained if the company wants to rent them out in the future....and this in itself costs money.

Bath is a totally different ball game. You are talking about one of the most affluent areas in the UK, and one that is most visited, by both British and foreigners alike.
Accrington cannot hold a candle to Bath.

If you really have a meaningful contribution to this debate, then speak up...but don't try to bore us with the hogwash you are spouting in your last post.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:17   #56
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I don't think I have ever come across any concrete suggestions, either on Accyweb or elsewhere. ?
May I refer my learned friend to post #51?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:20   #57
Beacon of light

Sue....I don't know what the answer to Maundyville is.......it has already got such a stanglehold on a large part of Abbey Street.
To be perfectly frank, I don't think the council want to take any decisive action for fear of being castigated by those who think that Dorothy Mac Gregor is doing a grand job.....and that those she helps are helpless members of society.
The last thing this council want, is to be seen as heartless and uncaring.
But however you look at it, those who frequent Maundy to get help do impact on the town in a negative way.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22   #58
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Less....I think Sue may have been referring to the problems caused by Maundyville...though I might be wrong(I am happy to stand corrected - as long as no cane is involved).
Old 10-03-2013, 11:28   #59
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less....I think Sue may have been referring to the problems caused by Maundyville...though I might be wrong(I am happy to stand corrected - as long as no cane is involved).
Now then Margaret are you suffering from Jaysays inability to read?

I'm sure the actual poster that you quoted feels quite hurt that you assigned his post to myself.
Stevie R likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:28   #60
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, thank you Margaret, of course I was referring to that organisation - I don't even like to type its name.

And it wasn't Less who posted - it was DtheP47 - though their avatars do look similar at first glance...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..