Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 11:35   #61
Resting In Peace

Re: Fake shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Sue....I don't know what the answer to Maundyville is.......it has already got such a stanglehold on a large part of Abbey Street.
To be perfectly frank, I don't think the council want to take any decisive action for fear of being castigated by those who think that Dorothy Mac Gregor is doing a grand job.....and that those she helps are helpless members of society.
The last thing this council want, is to be seen as heartless and uncaring.
But however you look at it, those who frequent Maundy to get help do impact on the town in a negative way.
Yes it has taken over a sizeable part of the town already. If those premises were to close down you still have the problem of the clientele - for want of a better word. What on earth do you do with them? I think they need help, of course, but from an official organisation rather than a charity. I think that's part of the problem - so long as a charity is seen to be coping with them, let them get on with it, we don't have to worry about it.

I know I'm an outsider, but I would have thought even Saint Dorothy would be able to see what effect her work is having on the wider world. I wonder if she cares about that at all...
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49   #62
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
And it wasn't Less who posted - it was DtheP47 - though their avatars do look similar at first glance...

Heaven forfend: Avatars look similar ? we are not even on the same planet
Stevie R likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:52   #63
Beacon of light

Thankyou Less for correcting me.......I apologise for getting the poster wrong...does this mean no cane?

My eyes aren't what they used to be(yes...I know it is a pathetic excuse) I will off to specsavers very soon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:53   #64
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
At a quick glance by someone who needs a dog and a white stick ....they might look a bit alike
Old 10-03-2013, 11:55   #65
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Yes it has taken over a sizeable part of the town already. If those premises were to close down you still have the problem of the clientele - for want of a better word. What on earth do you do with them? I think they need help, of course, but from an official organisation rather than a charity. I think that's part of the problem - so long as a charity is seen to be coping with them, let them get on with it, we don't have to worry about it.

I know I'm an outsider, but I would have thought even Saint Dorothy would be able to see what effect her work is having on the wider world. I wonder if she cares about that at all...
Some of these people that she nurtures are from outside the locality....so maybe if the support was no longer there, they would go back whence they came.

I don't think Dorothy even recognises the negative effect her flock have on the town centre.
She only sees the good in people...even the bad ones.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:57   #66
I am Banned

Quote:
At a quick glance by someone who needs a dog and a white stick ....they might look a bit alike
As my buddy Walter would say " A blind man on a galloping horse can see the're different"
Old 10-03-2013, 11:58   #67
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Quite right, I understand that to inhabit your planet a persons knuckles must drag along the ground as they attempt to walk upright!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:51   #68
God Member

I have just browsed the Maundy website.
http://www.maundyrelief.co.uk/index.html

It looks less like a charity and more like a commercial enterprise which is flourishing on freebies.

By 'freebies' I include -
financial support from grant from rates and/or rate free premises
free work by some volunteers
donations of cash and goods from the public

It isn't being charitable when the lives of some unfortunates are improved at the expense of other traders.

You notice that I said 'other traders' because Maundy are trading, and with advantage over others because they describe themselves as a charity.

Maundy ought to be relocated some distance away from the town centre on a trading estate.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:54   #69
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Quite right, I understand that to inhabit your planet a persons knuckles must drag along the ground as they attempt to walk upright!
Sorry for the delay in replying wiz, I was in the bathroom when your post came through and I can only deal with one *expletive deleted* at a time .

>> sent from my Sinclair ZX Spectrum <<
Old 10-03-2013, 13:21   #70
Beacon of light

Quote:
As my buddy Walter would say " A blind man on a galloping horse can see the're different"
If that is truly the case then the man isn't really blind - he's just pretending.
Heck I can't see my specs if I haven't got them on my face.
Old 10-03-2013, 13:28   #71
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in replying wiz, I was in the bathroom when your post came through and I can only deal with one *expletive deleted* at a time .
I'm surprised you are back so quickly, everyone reading your posts knows you aren't just full of it but overflowing.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 14:23   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Miles. It's spelled MILES. It's printed in The Accrington Observer at least once a week, please don't tell me it needs to be on every page in every story for ten years before you get this one right?

No I haven't been 'instructed' as I knew nothing about this until today but my interest was piqued by another ludicrous sum being bandied about without anyone bothering to do their research. The shop frontage is not costing £100k, it is being paid for out of a £100k pot.

Why let facts get in the way of a sensational Accyweb thread, eh?
Why would anyone trust the Observer to get anything right. Apparently they didn't know that the person in the article praising the scheme for stopping the place looking like Beirut was in fact the owner of the property who was making the place look like Beirut.
Old 10-03-2013, 15:26   #73
God Member

Quote:
They will care when the properties are bringing in no revenue. Properties that are bringing in no money and are unnoccupied are a burden to companies - they still need to be cared for and maintained if the company wants to rent them out in the future....and this in itself costs money.

Bath is a totally different ball game. You are talking about one of the most affluent areas in the UK, and one that is most visited, by both British and foreigners alike.
Accrington cannot hold a candle to Bath.

If you really have a meaningful contribution to this debate, then speak up...but don't try to bore us with the hogwash you are spouting in your last post.
rubbish they use them as assets which pushes their share price up. accrington has been totally mismanaged tory and labour councils with narrow mindness .
Old 10-03-2013, 15:30   #74
God Member

much of accys demise casn be blamed on the previous lot by allowing all these charity shops ,betting establishments and maundy to take over the town but this does not mean that the new lot cant be held responsible for their lack of action since taking over the reigns.

there was plenty been said when the torys were in power but now labour have control not so many ideas been brought up which is a shame because these people at the time seemed to have some decent ideas on improving the town they just dont seem to be implimenting them now they are in a position to do so.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..