Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 18:43   #1
Resting in Peace

False Alarm

Heard on the news this morning that Iceland was on the verge of bankruptcy. Well I panicked and sent them an Email requesting to buy a small chest freezer in the hope of helping them out in my own small way.

Turns out it was just a scare,but it did cause a rush on Farm Foods.

Did any other member fall for this outlandish sales pitch.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-10-2008, 18:45   #2
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Re: False Alarm

Could have been the Iceland online banking and maybe you just misunderstood or misheard
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 18:59   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZY View Post
Could have been the Iceland online banking and maybe you just misunderstood or misheard
Whooosh!....
Old 07-10-2008, 21:27   #4

Really did LOL reading this
Old 08-10-2008, 07:14   #5
God Member

Well done Benipete, the news this morning said people are expecting OUR government to bail out people here who invested in the icelandic banks (because of better interest rates there), I personally dont think they should bail out foriegn banks, if you invest abroad, it is your own greedy fault if you lose!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:23   #6
Resident Waffler

It's a bit grim for the people who can't draw their money out but I really don't see why the rest of us should bail them out and that's what it amounts to because it will be taxpayers' money. That's what people seem to forget when they expect 'the government' to do anything.

If course the problem is that banking abroad has never been easier with online banking now and some of those interest rates offered have sounded very tempting. People may not have realised they were taking a risk. We have all been encouraged to save and invest for our old age and people will have been looking to get the best return they could for their money. There's a lot to be said for hiding it under the mattress these days!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:29   #7
God Member

I agree willow, if our business went down the pan, the government wouldnt come and bail us out!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:44   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
the news this morning said people are expecting OUR government to bail out people here who invested in the icelandic banks
Thats a nope from me as well. We have protection in place for investors in this Country not abroad.

What next claiming money lost due to share price drops?
You take the risk - sometimes you win sometimes you loose.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:51   #9
Resident Waffler

LLoyds Investors already tried that one didn't they.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:00   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Thats a nope from me as well. We have protection in place for investors in this Country not abroad.

What next claiming money lost due to share price drops?
You take the risk - sometimes you win sometimes you loose.
The hundred of thousands of British savers in Icesave will receive £16,000 compensation from the Icelandic government, if they don't go bankrupt first, and £34,000 from the British government, who today will announce they'll also 'invest' £50 billion of our money to shore up the British banking industry.

The only safe investment at the moment it seems, is to put your money into mattresses.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:13   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The only safe investment at the moment it seems, is to put your money into mattresses.
That is assuming those pounds are actually worth anything when you take them out again.

Maybe gold or diamonds will be a safer bet.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:23   #12
God Member

It used to be in this country that those with money ruled and that it all changed when the masses got the vote. When they started to get low on funds the poor peasents had to cough up more in tax etc to be sure that these landed bafoons were kept in the style they were acustomed to. To me it hasnt changed any except ther is no Robin Hood and his Merry Men to protect us. Now the Sherrif of Nottingham is the banking industry and look what happens when thy get a little short on dosh they send out the troops (govenment)to empty our purse.

As for Iceland going under well wether it be the little hot rock country or heaven forbid our beloved food basket we will be in the poo poo reguardless. I wonder if the run on farm foods would match that of Northern Rock?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:26   #13
God Member

Quote:
That is assuming those pounds are actually worth anything when you take them out again.

Maybe gold or diamonds will be a safer bet.

Depends on wether Posh Spice and the bling brigade havnt snaffled em all up yet. Besides which where would you put your treasure to keep it safe because banks aint at the moment?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:28   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I have a vault under the house, its in my fall out bunker.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:47   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have a vault under the house, its in my fall out bunker.
I didn't realise you ever fell out with anybody Neil

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..