Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2008, 05:02   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Fasting

listen its like this

amir khan fasted last ramadan and won his fight

he didnt fast this ramadan and lost in 54 seconds...

*LOL*

allow it hehehe

personally it doesnt start getting to me till around 6pm by which time if i was a surgeon i wud b sitting at home.

the only jobs that i'd think twice if i should fast would be the physical ones. you dont really lose concentration just cause your hungry but you would suffer if your thirsty mid-afternoon doing heavy labour.

but great question though.
Old 24-09-2008, 07:02   #17
Resident Waffler

I bet there are lots of people who fast and others around them are totally unaware that they are doing as it doesn't affect their concentration or ability in any way. A lot of busy people just forget to eat or drink because they are concentrating on doing something.

I wonder how it affects life in countries where the population is almost 100% Muslim. They don't grind to a halt do they? Latter-day Saints fast, once a month every month and on other occasions for personal reasons whenever relevant and yet no-one is ever aware of it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 11:02   #18

Dawn till Dusk Fasting??? Is that not what every single mother does?

I generally dont eat till 8-9pm, doesnt affect anything I do
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 12:44   #19
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I wonder how many non-fasting surgeons actually go for long periods of time without a meal due to being in theatre or otherwise engaged?
I was going to bring up this point...because i know many surgeons who function without food for long periods, but they usually grab a quick slurp of tea/coffee/water between cases.
I think that in the main most surgeons are professional enough to recognise if fasting diminishes their ability to function and would do something about it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 12:53   #20
God Member

Until quite recently, the typical shift pattern for junior hospital doctors (SHO's and non-senior registrars) involved a long one-in-three weekend. This involved a start at lunchtime on friday and finish at lunchtime monday. No time was set aside for sleep; the doctor grabbed whatever he or she could, when they could (which often involved kipping on a hospital trolley). It was no secret that the worse time to end up in A & E was a monday morning.

Nevertheless, this was the system that lasted over many years on the basis that it was character and stamina building for doctors and as such an integral part of their training. As such, going without a chicken butty and a glass of pop between the hours of sun up and sun down is minor in comparison. I would be far more concerned about the surgeon who is carried legless from the pub at one in the morning and is due in theatre eight hours later.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 13:20   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote;I would be far more concerned about the surgeon who is carried legless from the pub at one in the morning and is due in theatre eight hours later.

You met him also what a coincidence.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 13:29   #22
God Member

Fasting ..........no chance being the greedy ****** i am......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 14:08   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Fasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Ok, a difficult and delicate subject, some of my Muslim colleagues are fasting for Ramadan, I know full well that I couldn't do it, it involves such long hours without food or drink that I know my concentration and performance would suffer. If I were a doctor or a surgeon I would have serious misgivings about my ability to function properly, how does everyone else feel about this emotive subject? Should our Muslim colleagues have the fasting period off or should we expect them to still function on what is basically a starvation diet with sleep deprivation thrown in?
If a person is getting paid to do a job of work and fasting interferes with their ability to do so to the satisfaction of the employer then that person should either break the fast, take unpaid time off work or use up their holiday entitlement.

Alternatively they could opt to take the night shift if there is one.

This should apply particularly to people who are responsible for the safety and well being of others, like an airline pilot and aircrew, bus/coach/train/taxi/HGV driver, officers on a ship, teachers, hospital staff, emergency services – the list is almost endless.

Maybe the answer is to make all people fasting during the day to use their holiday entitlement.
Old 24-09-2008, 14:13   #24
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I bet there are lots of people who fast and others around them are totally unaware that they are doing as it doesn't affect their concentration or ability in any way. A lot of busy people just forget to eat or drink because they are concentrating on doing something.

I wonder how it affects life in countries where the population is almost 100% Muslim. They don't grind to a halt do they? Latter-day Saints fast, once a month every month and on other occasions for personal reasons whenever relevant and yet no-one is ever aware of it.
It is one thing to fast for one day a month or forgetting to eat during the odd day and quite another to fast for 30 consecutive days.

In any case people who don’t eat during the day because they are too busy still take on sustenance in the form of drinks.
Old 24-09-2008, 14:16   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Dawn till Dusk Fasting??? Is that not what every single mother does?

I generally dont eat till 8-9pm, doesnt affect anything I do
How many brews do you consume and nibbles at something? Like tasting baby’s food as you feed him/her.
Old 24-09-2008, 14:22   #26
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
listen its like this

amir khan fasted last ramadan and won his fight

he didnt fast this ramadan and lost in 54 seconds...

*LOL*

allow it hehehe

personally it doesnt start getting to me till around 6pm by which time if i was a surgeon i wud b sitting at home.

the only jobs that i'd think twice if i should fast would be the physical ones. you dont really lose concentration just cause your hungry but you would suffer if your thirsty mid-afternoon doing heavy labour.

but great question though.
Amir Khan lost his last fight because he went into it too cock sure.
Old 24-09-2008, 14:33   #27
Senior Member+

what was scary is that once i searched a guy who turned out to be a high level consultant at warrington hospital and he had a £50 bag of cocaine on a night out.
Old 24-09-2008, 16:32   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
what was scary is that once i searched a guy who turned out to be a high level consultant at warrington hospital and he had a £50 bag of cocaine on a night out.
Now that woul sca the crap out of me mani
Old 24-09-2008, 16:56   #29
Passed away 25-11-09

I want to know who he is.
Old 24-09-2008, 17:12   #30
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
It is one thing to fast for one day a month or forgetting to eat during the odd day and quite another to fast for 30 consecutive days.
But it isn't continual fasting. If a person did fast continually for 30 days then yes I would worry about their state of health and whether or not they were capable of doing their job, in fact if they didn't drink for 30 days they would probably pass out and be extremely dehydrated, but Muslims who fast for Ramadan only do so during daylight hours so they are eating before sunrise and after sunset. It is possible to start the day with something which has a high glycaemic index such as lentils, beans, rice, porridge etc, which will release energy slowly throughout the day. Not having the morning sehri meal could be a problem but those who fast wisely will remain healthy and alert. I'm sure they realise this.

My Dad used to work in precision engineering as an inspector and never noticed any fall in standards by the Muslim workers during Ramadan.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..