Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2008, 21:12   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Fasting

I could probably do without the food during the day but I know I couldn't function to the best of my abilities without drinking water, and I am also concerned about the sleep patterns, if you are getting up at 3am to make a meal for your family and then not getting back to sleep that is a very long day.
Old 24-09-2008, 21:28   #32
Resident Waffler

Would the 3am riser also be working full time?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 21:32   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

must be a new trend, getting up at 3-00 am cooking, me mates wife used to make a great big panfull during the the day to be scranned evening n next early morning, i know this cos i always used to get some.
Old 25-09-2008, 09:05   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I could probably do without the food during the day but I know I couldn't function to the best of my abilities without drinking water, and I am also concerned about the sleep patterns, if you are getting up at 3am to make a meal for your family and then not getting back to sleep that is a very long day.
I agree with you on the water lindsay, I drink around 2 to 3 litres a day, in fact water is the only thing I drink usuall during the week, might have a coffee or two at weekends. If more people drank around 2 litres a day it would improve health, as water tends to clear your system of unwanted eliments
Old 25-09-2008, 12:13   #35

Might Muslims be entitled to take time off on sick pay? Surely it's thier human right!
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 12:20   #36
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Fasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
But it isn't continual fasting. If a person did fast continually for 30 days then yes I would worry about their state of health and whether or not they were capable of doing their job, in fact if they didn't drink for 30 days they would probably pass out and be extremely dehydrated, but Muslims who fast for Ramadan only do so during daylight hours so they are eating before sunrise and after sunset. It is possible to start the day with something which has a high glycaemic index such as lentils, beans, rice, porridge etc, which will release energy slowly throughout the day. Not having the morning sehri meal could be a problem but those who fast wisely will remain healthy and alert. I'm sure they realise this.

My Dad used to work in precision engineering as an inspector and never noticed any fall in standards by the Muslim workers during Ramadan.
I never stated that it was continual fasting. You know what I meant but then why let the opportunity to gain some Brownie points go by.

So let me make it quite clear.

It is one thing fasting between sunrise and sunset for one day a month and totally another to do so for 30 consecutive days.

Incidentally a human being will die not just ‘pass out’ without fluid intake for 30 days. But then I suppose that dying is passing out permanently.

I believe that the time limit is five days without any fluid intake and if you not dead you are beyond the point of recovery.
Old 25-09-2008, 12:25   #37
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Fasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post
Might Muslims be entitled to take time off on sick pay? Surely it's thier human right!
If they were sick then yes.

But can a self inflicted fast be classed as sick?

I don't think that it can?
Old 25-09-2008, 13:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post
The country would grind to a halt...
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 17:51   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Would the 3am riser also be working full time?
Yep, she gets up at 3 to make a meal for her husband, and then after eating and failing to get back to sleep she comes into work looking very very tired.....
Old 25-09-2008, 17:55   #40
Resident Waffler

poor woman. I'm not surprised she is tired.

Old 26-09-2008, 15:10   #41

Scientific research shows that to function properly the brain needs fluids (amongst other things)
Long periods without any new fluid will, without doubt affect a human beings concentration
I do not think that any religion should be allowed to interfere with a persons basic functions especially if these affect the rest of us
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 15:07   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yep, she gets up at 3 to make a meal for her husband, and then after eating and failing to get back to sleep she comes into work looking very very tired.....
Well then she is a very silly person.There is no reason to do that so it must be by choice.As Cashy said they can eat anytime after sunset and anytime before sunrise.

At the moment that gives them a 12 hour window - Must be after the sympathy vote - Won't get it here.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 15:18   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
then to me, thats not a woman, its a SLAVE. no need fer it at all.
Old 27-09-2008, 15:23   #44
Resident Waffler

I wonder if she does it voluntarily or if it is 'expected' of her by her family?

Old 27-09-2008, 15:50   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I wonder if she does it voluntarily or if it is 'expected' of her by her family?
commonsense tells me, there is underlying factors in it, no one would do that voluntary.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..