Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2008, 21:18   #1
Senior Member+

Fasting

Ok, a difficult and delicate subject, some of my Muslim colleagues are fasting for Ramadan, I know full well that I couldn't do it, it involves such long hours without food or drink that I know my concentration and performance would suffer. If I were a doctor or a surgeon I would have serious misgivings about my ability to function properly, how does everyone else feel about this emotive subject? Should our Muslim colleagues have the fasting period off or should we expect them to still function on what is basically a starvation diet with sleep deprivation thrown in?
Old 23-09-2008, 21:24   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Fasting

I suppose it depends on the individual. Who ever is managing people in that situation will have to decide if they are fit to work, if not then they should be sent home sick like anyone else would be.

WOuld you want to be in a fasting persons taxi or coach though?
Old 23-09-2008, 21:26   #3
Resident Waffler

Oddly enough I find I tend to function better when fasting and far worse if I've had a large meal when I just become sleepy and want a nap.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 21:26   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I suppose it depends on the individual. Who ever is managing people in that situation will have to decide if they are fit to work, if not then they should be sent home sick like anyone else would be.

I wouldn't feel confident having an operation done by a fasting surgeon.
Old 23-09-2008, 21:26   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

But it is self inflicted 'sickness' - I would make them use their holiday allowance or no pay!

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 21:28   #6
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I wouldn't feel confident having an operation done by a fasting surgeon.
I wonder how many non-fasting surgeons actually go for long periods of time without a meal due to being in theatre or otherwise engaged?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 21:34   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

Fasting is, whatever the religious implications, a personal choice. If you choose to live in a non-Islamic country and you wish to adhere to strict Islamic practise you should do so without it affecting your work or your colleagues. There should be no special treatment for those Muslims who fast; there is none for any other sect.
Old 23-09-2008, 21:37   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I wonder how many non-fasting surgeons actually go for long periods of time without a meal due to being in theatre or otherwise engaged?
I wouldn't have thought that non fasting surgeons will go from dawn to dusk without a bite to eat or even a drink of water.
Old 23-09-2008, 21:37   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Fasting is, whatever the religious implications, a personal choice. If you choose to live in a non-Islamic country and you wish to adhere to strict Islamic practise you should do so without it affecting your work or your colleagues. There should be no special treatment for those Muslims who fast; there is none for any other sect.

Seconded Karma sent.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 21:39   #10
I am Banned

it is only during daylight hours- I know some muslims who have a hearty breakfast before sunrise and, after all, how many of us on here have realized, come two or three o clock in the afternoon that we havent eaten yet because we have been so busy - not much difference really.
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 21:39   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
But it is self inflicted 'sickness' - I would make them use their holiday allowance or no pay!
I agree,I fast all year round - only have one meal a day.At night.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 21:39   #12
Passed away 25-11-09

Thank you, Cherokee.
Old 23-09-2008, 21:40   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
how many of us on here have realized, come two or three o clock in the afternoon that we havent eaten yet because we have been so busy - not much difference really.
Not me....I'd probably pass out if it got to 3pm and I hadn't eaten or drunk anything.
Old 23-09-2008, 21:45   #14
I am Banned

you lucky bugga - there is many a weekend - i get up jump in shower - get girls ready and we go out, see family, they have a maccy d's or something for dinner with andy while i do bits of shopping etc
by the time i get home it is usully late afternoon - then i just wait until tea - not the best way to be i know but i get out of routine so quickly
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 21:53   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

dont really see the harm in it, worked with em fer 23 years n it never affected any work performance on my shift, n was a job ya had to have yer wits about ya, so don't see a big deal wi it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..