Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 10:13   #1
Resting in Peace

Fine for spitting in the street

Fines for spitting? Enfield Council pushes for right to fine those caught in the act | Mail Online
Enfield Council are hoping to become the first council in England to issue fixed penalty fines for people caught spitting in the street, I think they've got it spot on myself, don't see why other councils don't follow their lead
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22   #2
Full Member+

Re: Fine for spitting in the street

I agree completely.The cause of disease spread. TB was eradicated in this country once, now it is ripper than ever , Blackburn being the worse in the country for it .I believe spitting " helped " it spread.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Fines for spitting? Enfield Council pushes for right to fine those caught in the act | Mail Online
I think they've got it spot on myself, don't see why other councils don't follow their lead
Yes and it's all so simple..have you forgot about the cuts?..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 16:43   #4

Spitting is disgusting! I've mentioned before that I work with young people, mainly teenagers, and I can cope with most things from them except spitting, it's the only thing which makes me really have a go at them. And when I do it's clear that they have no idea how anti social it is - some of them do it every couple of minutes as a course of habit and don't realise they're doing it until it's pointed out.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 16:58   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well, I wonder, have you thought this through?

There must be times when all of the above have spat on the street, first time out from a cold or flu, we can't help it, it's perfectly natural.

When I have to do it I always aim for a grid.

God help us all, how far can we go before all natural and needed bodily functions become illegal?

I fart, you fart, how long before that is illegal in publc?

Yes, I agree spitting to try and appear tough is wrong, but there are times we all need, (desperatly), to remove flem.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:12   #6

How about a tissue?
Old 11-02-2012, 17:21   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
How about a tissue?
Thats what I do Anne, and Ive been at it for a long time now
Old 11-02-2012, 17:26   #8

Quite right Jaysay, no excuse for spitting in the street, it's disgusting to other people and I think degrading to the person doing it.
Old 11-02-2012, 17:29   #9
Senior Member+

Agreed, bring it on, it's a disgusting habit ( mainly practised by Blackburn College students ( male) at my bus stop on the Boulevard!!) Should be a fine and then further action for every further offence, either stop it or buy some tissues! I'm 44 and I can hold my hand up and say I have never , ever spat in the street, why would you? It's wrong.
Old 11-02-2012, 17:31   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
How about a tissue?
Have you NEVER been out with a hanky, when full of flem? Within half an hour it is sodden?
Anyone that claims they haven't spat in the street is a liar.

The majority of us only do it from desperation, however, it must only be the perfect in the world, not the victims of life, that deserve to be fined for what is a natural function.

Of course I don't include footballers or their followers they spit every time they think.

(Thank goodness they don't think very often, otherwise we'd be waist deep in the stuff).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:39   #11

Great big dollops of grotch on the pavement is horrible too, especially when you step in it. I used to think it was old pipe-smoking men who were the worst culprits. Man, they really hocked it up and then grotched this horrible green slime on the pavement.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:53   #12

No, I have never been in that situation and would always make sure I had a pack of tissues with me especially if I had a chest infection.
Are you playing devil's advocate here? I get the impression you might be!
Old 11-02-2012, 18:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Have you NEVER been out with a hanky, when full of flem? Within half an hour it is sodden?
Anyone that claims they haven't spat in the street is a liar.

The majority of us only do it from desperation, however, it must only be the perfect in the world, not the victims of life, that deserve to be fined for what is a natural function.

Of course I don't include footballers or their followers they spit every time they think.

(Thank goodness they don't think very often, otherwise we'd be waist deep in the stuff).
It always amazes me how footballers are able to blow their noses without an handkerchief. I watch with grim fascination as they block one nostril and then blow a wad of snot out of the other at 70 miles an hour.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:20   #14
God Member

it amazes me why people pass these laws ,when there is nobody to implement them Job cuts in Enfield Council plan to find £11.2m of savings (From Enfield Independent)
Old 11-02-2012, 20:39   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well thats one thing yeh got right Cmon.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..