Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2009, 11:49   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Fined For Rollerblading.

Geoffrey Dornan, a roller-skating pensioner has been fined £300 plus £1,800 costs after he was filmed skating along a street in Southport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7908446.stm

My first reaction was to sympathise with Geoffrey Dornan and to label the Sefton Council with words that are not printable in this forum.

But having viewed the CCTV of his foray around the precinct and his interview, that sympathy dissipated rather rapidly.

It is difficult to judge his speed from the CCTV as he flashed around but it was certainly faster than the fastest disabled buggie, which I believe is 8 mph and in any case should not be driven at that speed on pavements and pedestrian areas.

It is not known if Sefton Council has also taken cyclists to court for similar offences or people in self propelled wheel chairs or those disabled motorised buggies. For surely the by-law covers them too. “The by-law states that ‘no person shall skate, slide or ride on rollers, skateboards or other self-propelled vehicles in such a manner as to cause danger or annoyance’.

Geoffrey Dornan came across as an arrogant old git who thought that he was above the law. His roller blading antics would be seen as, at the very least, annoying and again judging from the CCTV, dangerous. Whizzing around at speeds in excess of 4 mph amongst pedestrians can only be dangerous in spite of his claims to the contrary.

However the North Sefton Magistrates' Court went over then top in fining him £300 with £1,800 costs. Surely to goodness a restraining order would have sufficed. Geoffrey Dornan is appealing but if the appeal is unsuccessful it has been reported that he will have to sell his car and maybe his house to pay the appeal costs.

I suspect that his attitude in court, as was reported, had something to do with the level of fine. You don’t argue with the bench and interrupt.
Old 25-02-2009, 12:11   #2
God Member

Re: Fined For Rollerblading.

I think this cantankerous old man should be thankful that he wasn't charged with contempt of court - which could have seen him 'sent down' too.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 12:41   #3
Senior Member+

I wish I could skate like that!!! But on a more serious note, What he was doing was kinda dangerous and although didnt, could have caused an accident. Although I do agree that the costs were a bit steep for the case.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 12:42   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think this cantankerous old man should be thankful that he wasn't charged with contempt of court - which could have seen him 'sent down' too.
That's a bit harsh, just for starting a thread.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 15:17   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
I wish I could skate like that!!! But on a more serious note, What he was doing was kinda dangerous and although didnt, could have caused an accident. Although I do agree that the costs were a bit steep for the case.
It does tend to cost a lot when you gob off in a court room.A clear case of talking when you should be listening.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 16:36   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
It does tend to cost a lot when you gob off in a court room.A clear case of talking when you should be listening.
Think that's about right Beni, but even then, rollerblading at 71, must be half pork pie short of a picnic to start with
Old 25-02-2009, 16:51   #7
God Member

I say give the old guy a break , would the benefit scrounging parents of a 14 year old hoodie skateboarding chav face the same financial penalties for a similar offence ? , think not , the police would be to afraid to full him up in the first place, the Magistrates are just using him as a cash cow, everyone knows owd folk who have work all their life and paid their taxes have lots of money stuffed under the matress
Probably if he had used the local skatepark he would have been locked up as some dirty old prev child molester .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 17:08   #8
I am Banned

Would people still have the same feelings of sympathy if this had been a teenager skating around a local shopping centre? I think not - and if they had been on the news and it had been said that a teenager wasnt being charged for such behaviour there would be an outrage i am sure - he got what he deserved- you wouldnt put up with "young un's" doing it so why should you feel sorry for a pensioner?
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 17:18   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

Well he was good on the skates, I'll give him that.

His argument that he "goes shopping" on skates in Ormskirk was irrelevant. He wasn't shopping in Southport, he was showing off, he wanted to be noticed. As he quite plainly didn't go into any shop, why didn't he skate along the seafront? It's not very busy at this time of year so he was unlikely to be a potential hazzard. Ah, of course, it's not very busy at this time of year, so nobody would have noticed him, would they?

As for the fine and costs, he got that for "mouth and attitude". Silly old fool.
Old 25-02-2009, 17:21   #10
Senior Member+

this is another 'im old and im being victimised' story, like the woman with the cigarette end fine.......... they did something wrong, they got caught, end of!

age has nothing to do with it (although attitude probably did)

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 18:10   #11
Caz
God Member

I seem to remember this bloke taking part in something on local TV about keeping fit when you are older. I think his 15 minutes of fame must have gone to his head.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 18:29   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Well he was good on the skates, I'll give him that.

His argument that he "goes shopping" on skates in Ormskirk was irrelevant. He wasn't shopping in Southport, he was showing off, he wanted to be noticed. As he quite plainly didn't go into any shop, why didn't he skate along the seafront? It's not very busy at this time of year so he was unlikely to be a potential hazzard. Ah, of course, it's not very busy at this time of year, so nobody would have noticed him, would they?

As for the fine and costs, he got that for "mouth and attitude". Silly old fool.
In a nutshell West Ender, along with other posts as per this opinion. He complained would not be any music anywhere else .. well, if he wants to get with it, can get one of those earplug thingies.

Agree, the fine was probably 'upt' because of his cheek. They will probably do a deal for him to pay it off at a few quid a week and, at his age, will finish up not being fulfilled.

The silly beggar is appealing against it too !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..