Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2003, 15:08   #16
Len
God Member

Post Re: fireworks

I must apologise for the text I submitted I didn’t think that anyone would of been offended.
I was wrong.
Did not mean to cause any upset

Very sorry
Len

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2003, 15:48   #17
Senior Member+

Of course Mik the Germans don't have a bonfire night so they don't have a Guy Fawkes, perhaps they should have a fire and burn effigies of a well known German.

These fireworks around today are really like military rockets.Twas over the market last Sunday and suddenly a volley of about 5 Rockets were fired into the crowd from some Council Flats, it was like Apocalypse Now, with these big red rockets...luckily nobody was hit,then a kid with a mask on popped his head up from behind the wall and was taunting the people...little b*****d!!!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2003, 18:50   #18
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Very loud round here tonight, my dog is now terrified and hiding behind the chair. Went out a couple of nights ago to complain to somebody's parents and was told to go away, but not quite so nicely - charmin >

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2003, 20:40   #19
Accy Goddess

Your not wrong Lettie. I was supposed to be going to do a late night shop at Asda.
Got has far as the shop at the bottom and came back home.
Far to scary. Dreading Having to walk to work tomorrow night.
I hate the dam things.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2003, 12:47   #20
Senior Member+

[quote author=kestrelx link=board=general;num=1066863491;start=0#16 date=10/25/03 at 16:48:29]Of course Mik the Germans don't have a bonfire night so they don't have a Guy Fawkes, perhaps they should have a fire and burn effigies of a well known German.

No but they have implied the law in the direction of what some forum memebers wish for.
1. No sale to anybody under the age of 18
2. Only allowed to sell 2 days before the event.
3. Hitler was Austrian if that was the effigy you was talking about.Started out in life as a painter and decorator.
The implement of the first two above worked well
Old 26-10-2003, 13:00   #21
Resting in Peace

the goverment really need to get there fingers out and alter the law.
the police say "we are cracking down on fireworks and under age sales and so are trading standards" BUT WERE NOT in Accrington they arnt.
kids are still letting them off where and when ever they want.
so they are still being sold to them. >
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2003, 15:00   #22
Caz
God Member

They have been doing the spot checks at shops again, (sending kids in) to see who is selling to underage customers.

They did it last year and no one up here (Springhill) was found to be doing so that I remember.
Problem is same as with alcohol, with older lads going in for them.
Plus a lot of the ones setting them off are adults anyway.

Apart from the obvious dangers of any firework in kids' hands, the large noisy ones are a major problem. How industrial strength fireworks can be available to the public is unbelievable.

New laws are supposedly being brought in by the end of the year to tighten things up. Would have made more sense to be brought in by bonfire season.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 19:55   #23
Senior Member+

Well kids are fascintated with fireworks just like they are with guns,so I don't know if they will ever be banned,if they were banned maybe,like with guns,fireworks would come in on the blackmarket.

As for Hitler Mik, yes he was an Austrian but was given German Nationality once he got power, also he was an artist, drawings and painting, not house decorating...and don't worry Austrian Arnie Swartznegger will never be President!!! 8)

by the way do they still have large bonfires around Accrington,they are few and far between in London.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2003, 06:43   #24
Filthy / Gorgeous

There's an annual bonfire and firework display at Accy cricket club Thorneyholme Rd. Worked on the burger and hot dog stall as a favour to my friend the other year and it was very busy. It is organised by Hyndburn Rotoract and all proceeds from entrance fee and the stalls go to local charities. Think we donated to Mountain rescue and ? Derian House the year I was there. ;D

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 30-10-2003, 14:14   #25
Junior Member+

Yes Tintin you are getting old fireworks are loud when I was a kid they had jumping jacks banned now grow up and get a life ;D
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003, 14:16   #26
Junior Member+

Yes Tintin you are getting old fireworks are loud when I was a kid they had jumping jacks banned now grow up and get a life ;D
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 17:01   #27
Filthy / Gorgeous

Does anyone have a pair of thick earmuffs that I can borrow for my dog? [smiley=dogrun.gif]  She's going mental tonight.

Old 05-11-2003, 17:06   #28
Senior Member+

My dogs sat at my feet, if she got any closer she would be sat on my knee.hard work when you are on the p.c. I will have trouble trying to get her out for her last walk tonight. [smiley=help.gif]
Old 05-11-2003, 17:19   #29
mez
God Member

sorry new to this just set the same topic up but i agree with you all , the shop on richmond rd has been selling fireworks at 1/2 price for the past 2 weeks ( wheres the deterant in that )
Old 05-11-2003, 18:52   #30
Caz
God Member

It's awful up here!

Not like it used to be when I was a kid.

I like a good display and communal bonfire as much as I ever did, but the situation these days is beyond a joke.
It's not so much people letting them off in their gardens, but people just letting them off anywhere they want. The other night I had one let off right on my doorstep.

The noise is unbelievable with the size of these things. How can people be allowed to explode something that shakes peoples windows, and that's what's happening at the moment.

Never bought fireworks for my lads, usually go to an organised displays.
Once over we might have had a wander around the area to see a few going off, but it's not safe out there now, too many idiots.

The lads were actually stopped on the way home from school tonight by a couple of kids no more than about 8, asking them if they wanted to buy some fireworks. Presumably their parents have a stockpile at home and are selling them illegally ???

Have seen tonight fireworks being exploding down drains, and been thrown up back alleys willy nilly. Also fireworks being let off in back yards that clearly aren't safe to do so.

The pets situation is worse now because the noise is so much louder. But it's not just the 5th!

It's OK saying keep your pets indoors on bonfire night, but what about the rest of the time? Fireworks have been going off up here for weeks.

Also what about people with young tots, being woken up by these things all the time?

Personally I don't think the new regulations go far enough.

Lets hope further changes are made to the law soon.  

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..