Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Rowlf
  • 2 Post By cashman
  • 2 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By Eric
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2016, 14:28   #1
Full Member+

Fireworks

I see that 4 children have been injured yesterday with fireworks in Nelson.
I know that it is illegal for children to have them but while they are on sale to the general public kids will get their hands on them and these accidents will happen. It seems ridiculous that explosives can be bought over the counter. I think they should be banned and only organised displays allowed.
Gremlin likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2016, 15:09   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Fireworks

I don't wish to be a spoilsport but I agree with Rowlf. It's been non stop bang bang bang for weeks and I've seen fireowrks being thrown at cars as I drive down the road. A friend was on the train from Colne to Accrington and a firework was thrown from the bridge at Huncoat station on to the roof of the train. I assume to driver will have reported it and the CCTV will spot the culrit.
Old 04-11-2016, 15:13   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

No argument from me wi this.
Gremlin and Rowlf like this.
Old 04-11-2016, 15:47   #4
Beacon of light

Nor me. I hate bonfire night.
No, that isn't true. If it were just one night of bangs and whizzes I could put up with it...But they have been going off around here for at least a month.
My poor little cat is scared witless.
You don't know when folk are going to be letting off fireworks..Or when they are going to stop.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 17:45   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I have no problem with a well organised display,

remembering what we got up to leading up to it as children fills me with horror and I'm glad there have been restrictions added.

Further restrictions? only on selling to individuals but not on the watching of a safely placed attraction.
cashman and Rowlf like this.

Last edited by Less; 05-11-2016 at 17:49.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:12   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I have no problem with a well organised display,

remembering what we got up to leading up to it as children fills me with horror and I'm glad there have been restrictions added.

Further restrictions? only on selling to individuals but not on the watching of a safely placed attraction.
Nice one. For a fleeting moment I almost took you seriously.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 18:49   #7

It's like Aleppo out there tonight, bangs every few seconds.

Scared the bejeezuss out of one of my dogs.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 18:56   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
It's like Aleppo out there tonight, bangs every few seconds.

Scared the bejeezuss out of one of my dogs.
Nowt worse than exaggerating,
https://www.syriarelief.org.uk/news/...oNEaAl9T8P8HAQ

Your dog is nothing compared to a human life.

However I do have sympathy that it got scared.
Eric likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 19:32   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
It's like Aleppo out there tonight
Not a good comparison. In Aleppo, it happens every day ... hospitals, schools, women, children, the elderly killed. Bonfire nite is once a year. Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of folks are having a "blast' If you don't like it. Don't join in. Chill, it'll be gone in the morning. Don't be a killjoy.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 06-11-2016, 20:15   #10
Beacon of light

Eric, you are right it isn't at all like Aleppo. There may be bangs and whizzes but at least we know that this doesn't mean our house is going to collapse round our ears...and thet we are not going to be blown to kingdom come.

The thing is it might not be gone tomorrow. Round where I live we have had two weeks of evenings when there are fireworks being let off......and very late too.
Midnight last night there were still bangers and rockets going off.
When you lived over here bonfire night was NOV 5th...and that was the day you had your bonfire and firework party.....only ONE evening.
You knew when to keep your animals in and safe, you knew that it would only be the ONE evening.
So I don't really think Rainbow six is being a killjoy...he is just like many of us...fed up with it all.
Eric likes this.
Old 06-11-2016, 21:10   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
When you lived over here bonfire night was NOV 5th.
No. I wasn't a night. It was a season, a season of anticipation. It was the making of the guy. The collecting of pennies ... some with Victoria's face on them The careful purchase of fireworks. Collecting the wood; and building the fire. Making the treacle toffee. It was a community event. The same fires in the same place, year after year. It is quintessentially British, something nobody in the rest of the world has. It's a tradition to be proud of, cherished, and preserved. And, as a fall celebration, it beats the living shiite out of Halloween.
Old 06-11-2016, 21:56   #12
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right it was a season of anticipation...all the stuff you mention I remember with fondness, because it WAS a community event.
The letting off of fireworks though was a one night only thing(which I guess increased the anticipation and the enjoyment).
alas it is not like that now.

Mums aren't going from house to house finding out who is making what...parched peas, spud pie, treacle toffee,parkin. It was a smoky veritable feast for all the senses.
Eric and Morecambe Ex Pat like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..