Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2021, 09:06   #1
God Member

Fireworks

Do not know what its been like this year over the hill but over this way last night was the 4th night in a row we have had to suffer the reinactment of the battle of stalingrad. Not a killjoy for those who enjoy them but surely its remember remember the 5th of november and not days before and after the event. Enough is enough for me and surely something needs doing for the future. However when profits are being made out of their sales its not time to hold my breath.
taddy likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2021, 10:21   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Fireworks

It has been much the same here…and the run up to Bonfire week has been punctuated with bangers most nights.
What is it that makes these bombs like banger attractive?
They scare the bejesus out of me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:40   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think the government should stop them making fireworks so loud? the noise these days is ridiculous, most kids love fireworks and i aint one who says ban em but just use common sense,and stop selling them after nov 5th, not perfect i know but it will help;
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 08-11-2021, 15:41   #4

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1259146]Do not know what its been like this year over the hill but over this way last night was the 4th night in a row we have had to suffer the reinactment of the battle of stalingrad. Not a killjoy for those who enjoy them but surely its remember remember the 5th of november and not days before and after the event. Enough is enough for me and surely something needs doing for the future. However when profits are being made out of their sales its not time to hold my breath.

I read an article in the daily mail the other day where a question had been put to ten and eleven year old school children, the question being "what is Guy Foulks remembered for, some answered, "he was the maker of fireworks" others thought that he invented the forks that we use to eat with, not one had ever been taught the real reason for "gunpowder, treason and plot".What the hell are our so called teachers, tutors, lecturers putting in to our childrens brains, Rant over, glass empty, time for another Hobgoblin.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 16:31   #5
Beacon of light

Taddy they are teaching them woke topics….climate change etc.
But these children will still want to watch fireworks (not sure hope much they affect our carbon footprint….but you can bet it will be adversely)…..they will also not be taught that their devices (which use Lithium batteries) are not a bit green…….that children as young as seven will be excavating the chemicals that power these things…..and that for every KG of these chemicals use up half a million gallons of water…..and these chemicals are in places where water is at a premium.
But that is an inconvenient truth when a sixteen year old wants to take a selfie…or post on Instagram…..
They do not know this information, but they will still sing from St Greta’s eco powered hymn sheet and wag school every Friday….but only as a protest against climate change….not because they really want to skip school.
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 08-11-2021, 16:33   #6
Beacon of light

Yes..I know…I know….my anti cynicism pills seem to have stopped working.
Old 08-11-2021, 18:14   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
What the hell are our so called teachers, tutors, lecturers putting in to our childrens brains, Rant over, glass empty, time for another Hobgoblin.

Illiberal liberal lefterist anti British woke snowflakery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Taddy they are teaching them woke topics….climate change etc.

You beat me to it Ma.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes..I know…I know….my anti cynicism pills seem to have stopped working.
Get your G.P. to prescribe a stronger dose, (What G.P.) they are all in secure hiding places whilst picking up £100-000, a year plus, nice work if you can get it.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:20   #9

Had 2 complete tools at the back of mine last night . One starts, next man goes bigger.Started around 10ish, by 12bells I thought they had ran out. Oh no 3.20 someone launches a scud missile. Fireworks for general public should be limited to the week either side of Nov 5th. They're more a nuisance today than entertainment. I'm not for a ban, better regulation and responsibility.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:12   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Get your G.P. to prescribe a stronger dose, (What G.P.) they are all in secure hiding places whilst picking up £100-000, a year plus, nice work if you can get it.
What is a GP Taddy.
I have not seen a GP since about 2018 after my surgery by Mr Mc Allister.

It has been pretty damn impossible to see anyone.
My other half had problems with earache….had it on and off for about two months.
Did not resolve with home remedies or over the counter stuff.
I rang for an appointment…..yes I got a telephone appointment, but not with a doctor….and tell me, how do you determine if a problem is a build up of wax or something more serious on a telephone consultation?

I am glad that I have no long term health issues because even those who do are struggling to get the usual care.
Less, taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:32   #11

My question is this - how can people afford to buy all those fireworks? Are these the same people that cry 'poor' at the drop of a hat I wonder.
monkey hanger likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:06   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
My question is this - how can people afford to buy all those fireworks? Are these the same people that cry 'poor' at the drop of a hat I wonder.
thats why they are poor. its a poor mans celebrity type of lifestyle they are trying to live. just wait till christmas arrives. they are the ones that will want for little as long as everything is pre packed that is.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:39   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well everything can with a twist be considered a plus, I'm going deaf and wear hearing aids almost all the time, Fireworks start, out come the aids peace once more!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:46   #14

[QUOTE=Less;1259251]Well everything can with a twist be considered a plus, I'm going deaf and wear hearing aids almost all the time, Fireworks start, out come the aids peace once more!

I also wear hearing aids, have done for 20 years or so, they are ideal for when Mrs Taddy attempts to give me earache whilst I am trying to watch a rugby union match on t.v.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:16   #15
Beacon of light

My other half is selectively deaf…he doesn’t hear what I say to him…he needs the TV turned up loud…but he can hear a toffee being unwrapped at a hundred paces….how does that work?
cashman, taddy and monkey hanger like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..