Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2010, 07:28   #46
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Flash mob in Accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
professional looking, with a good video clip.
What is this any "excuse to moan week"?

I think the fact that a kid with a mobile phone who thought the thing was enough fun to want to video it on his/her phone and upload it on youtube for friends to see is actually a very positive sign that people enjoyed it.

You avoided the event on purpose so why did you bother to watch the video?
Old 26-11-2010, 07:59   #47
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Nope you still think it was all about the final event and ignore the many hours they spent before that.
And how, exactly, does that promote Accrington?

The final event was what they were working towards......was it not supposed to be something to promote the area?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 08:07   #48
Beacon of light

Quote:
What is this any "excuse to moan week"?

I think the fact that a kid with a mobile phone who thought the thing was enough fun to want to video it on his/her phone and upload it on youtube for friends to see is actually a very positive sign that people enjoyed it.

You avoided the event on purpose so why did you bother to watch the video?

Neil, you posted my quote about the Canadian clip, and then asked the question.
No it isn't a moan at all.....if you read my earlier post you will see that they were my own opinions and observations(I am allowed to have them....aren't I?)........and as for the video clip, again it was on an Observer page link....and I looked at it thinking that it would be a opportunity to be converted.......sadly I wasn't(converted)......I was embarrassed....it was totally cringeworthy.
Old 26-11-2010, 08:08   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
And how, exactly, does that promote Accrington?

The final event was what they were working towards......was it not supposed to be something to promote the area?
By telling people it was happening.

Damned if you do damned if you don't springs to mind.
If you are concerned about the centre of Accy surviving and did not appreciate this why not organise something yourself?
Create a Friends of Accy Town Centre or something and raise money for what you think will work instead of slagging off other peoples attempts to make a difference.

In other words "Put up or shut up"

That comment is not meant for any one person but all of you who want to do nothing yourselves except moan.
Old 26-11-2010, 08:12   #50
Beacon of light

I think it would take far more that I am able to give to bring the town centre back to its former glory.
It is sad that I am old enough to remember those days.

So we are all suposed to go along with the 'Emperors New Clothes' line of thought are we?
Old 26-11-2010, 08:13   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Pathetic, people who think its a waste of money are moaning, its more like cos they dont agree!
Old 26-11-2010, 08:14   #52
Beacon of light

Cashy that is exactly right....and wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed on everything?
Old 26-11-2010, 08:48   #53
Resting in Peace

Think there would have been more moaning if a bunch of kids had smashed Accy Town centre up on a Saturday Afternoon for Free
Old 26-11-2010, 09:01   #54
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I think it would take far more that I am able to give to bring the town centre back to its former glory.
It is sad that I am old enough to remember those days
That's why you are the right sort of person to be involved.

Never underestimate the power of a community group. Politicians listen to groups or they loose there seat. It's as simple as that.

Numbers talk but one piece of advise would be to include councillors but don't let them have any control over your group. We need councillors but they can be a pain in the backside
Old 26-11-2010, 09:35   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's why you are the right sort of person to be involved.

Never underestimate the power of a community group. Politicians listen to groups or they loose there seat. It's as simple as that.

Numbers talk but one piece of advise would be to include councillors but don't let them have any control over your group. We need councillors but they can be a pain in the backside
Amen to that
Old 26-11-2010, 09:49   #56
Senior Member+

I Just dont see why it cost money.

Who was the money paid to?

As for the filming, with a little thought someone could of got on the roof (Im sure there is someone up there on the video) and filmed using a camcorder.

Or stayed down on the ground and filmed using basic equipment, even cameras now have HD video.

Of corse this is just my opinion.
Old 26-11-2010, 09:58   #57
God Member

Here's what I saw last Saturday

About 400 people in the town centre that came in specifically for the dancing.

100s of young, deprived locals that have had free dance/exercise classes from a professional.

A town centre alive with people dancing and enjoying themselves and taking away a positive memory of being in somthing that they'll remember for a long time. The young people were buzzing with excitement about being involved.

People spending money in shops whilst waiting - whether it was a pie in Greggs or chocolate. I know that I spent about £15 in town that I wouldn't normally have done on a Saturday and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Something that will promote Accrington. The quality of the video isn't brilliant but that's not really important because it shows people enjoying being in the town centre. It is also part of a much wider project called LET which is promoting Burnley, Blackburn and Accrington - in the Arts world, it's made Accrington part of a much bigger whole. Anyone who wants literature on the LET project let me know and I'll send it to them. Otherwise look on www.creativityworks.org

A local, new creative business being supported. As part of the project, Cassandra is also getting business and financial support free from Business Link and Creative Lancashire, including free IT training and free financial training.

Finally, to the accusations that it was not spontaneous I would argue that very few of them actually are. The one in the shopping mall was clearly not spontaneous - there were about 30 camera angles for a start from which they were filming. The song and singers had clearly been rehearsed - as had the ones on the T-Mobile ads and the majority of others. It doesn't matter how you find out or how you learn the dance, the point is that it appears to be random or spontaneous to the crowds who are caught up in it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 10:27   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
People spending money in shops whilst waiting - whether it was a pie in Greggs or chocolate. I know that I spent about £15 in town that I wouldn't normally have done on a Saturday and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I don't usually visit the town centre on Saturday. Come to think of it ... I spent well over £50 (gulp), which I probably would have spent in the Trafford Centre as knew I was going on the following Tuesday.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 10:34   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I don't usually visit the town centre on Saturday. Come to think of it ... I spent well over £50 (gulp), which I probably would have spent in the Trafford Centre as knew I was going on the following Tuesday.
Accy's a Winner the Trafford Centre a looser
Old 26-11-2010, 18:26   #60
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

As it stands 345 hits & no comments (On You Tube) & has been on for 4 days.

Neither Pro or Contra just an observation, make your own minds up.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..