Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2015, 11:07   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Flood Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
get over it Jason..it is what politicians of every colour do...if they didn't do it they would be slammed as uncaring...when they do do it they are subjected to the kind of ridicule that you have posted....it is a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Visiting an area is just a Google Page Ranking thing...much as is the visiting of contituencies during and election.
It serves only the media circus in real terms.
What is really needed is the clearing of drains, the widening and deepening of rivers which are prone to flooding, the cessation of building on flood plains, the planting of more trees.......and lastly(but no less important) financial aid for those areas affected...not just to build back the infrastructure but to help those whose homes have suffered damage.

In the past when there have been natural disasters in other parts of the world, the good old Brits have put their hands deep into their pockets and given money.......do you see any country doing this right now to help our flood victims?
I'm over it,I'm lucky enough not to be effected by these tragic floods.
It must be made even worse for those poor souls effected as these floods have come at a time when these folk would probably be relaxing and spending time with relatives etc.
Your comment suggests that by Cameron 'visiting' these areas he cares,do you really think this is the case...I didn't think so.

The government has cut funding and chooses to ignore advice from the EA so it's hardly surprising flooding has become a real problem.
I agree,perhaps it is time to stop putting foreign aid and expenses before the needs of these local folk.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2015, 11:11   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Would imagine most people are aware it don't help them now, its the simple fact of hypocritical behavior by Cameron thats galling to me.
Accyexplorer and hyndburner like this.
Old 30-12-2015, 12:04   #33
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I'm over it,I'm lucky enough not to be effected by these tragic floods.
It must be made even worse for those poor souls effected as these floods have come at a time when these folk would probably be relaxing and spending time with relatives etc.
Your comment suggests that by Cameron 'visiting' these areas he cares,do you really think this is the case...I didn't think so.

The government has cut funding and chooses to ignore advice from the EA so it's hardly surprising flooding has become a real problem.
I agree,perhaps it is time to stop putting foreign aid and expenses before the needs of these local folk.
You need to read my post again Jason.
I don't know where you got the idea that by visiting these areas shows he cares.
I said in a previous post that this is what politicians of all colours do in an attempt to make it look as though they are concerned.....I also said it is just a Public relations exercise......a media circus.
But had he not done this he would have been damned by you as being unconcerned......hence the comment damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

There is nothing to suggest that if funding had not been cut the situation would have been any better.
I agree that money set aside for foreign aid.....much of it going to despotic regimes, should be made available for improvements to be funded.

We should get some of the money we pay into the EU to cover costs of the clean up......apparently there is a fund for such things. I have not heard anything about whether an application for such funds has been submitted.....though why you would need to submit a request when there is evidence of the damage being relayed around the world.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 12:39   #34
Full Member+

I read a good article in the Guardian yesterday about landlords who own grouse moors. They are paid subsidies like farmers and they are using it to make the ground better for the birds which means water runs off to flood villages and town below. Disgraceful.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 14:16   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I read a good article in the Guardian yesterday about landlords who own grouse moors. They are paid subsidies like farmers and they are using it to make the ground better for the birds which means water runs off to flood villages and town below. Disgraceful.
Have a read of this though about how dredging rivers beds isn't allowed The EU is to Blame for Britain's Flood Disaster
Old 30-12-2015, 14:21   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Good reading, but the E.U. didn't make the cuts.
Chrisr likes this.
Old 30-12-2015, 15:03   #37
Full Member+

And the EU is not paying landowners to drain their land so they can make more money out of shooting parties while the peasants in the valleys are flooded out their homes.
cashman and Chrisr like this.
Old 30-12-2015, 23:40   #38

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Just watched the leader of labour run LCC on Granada Reports, one Jenny Mein discussing the flooding. One of her comments was that she and her colleagues have been 'working very hard' to ensure that the 'most vulnerable' i.e. the aged and infirm were being attended to, because 'they are the most needy' in these difficult times....

Yay..(the cynic in me thinks, 3 days later and after the benefit of a speech writer) councillors do have the community that voted them in at heart!

Then I read this...

'RIDICULOUS?: Lancashire County Council to spend £6.6m on money saving experts (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Our beloved labour LCC, from behind closed doors, outsourcing, to the value of £6.6 million, attempting to find ways to swindle the 'needy'

And there you have it..people who stand for any council (usually through nepotism or the old boys network), not having the semblance of a clue what the job entails, not having any leadership skills whatsoever (except perhaps a bit of a personality, the right clothing sense and a photogenic smile)...but clueless and useless when the chips go down...trying to find others to do their jobs at our expense.

Who can forget our MP who couldn't recall where he lived, the local councillor who blamed an imaginary national decision, the councillor who can just about see the ward he represents through his backyard telescope....bloody pathetic in a crisis the lot of them.......shift the blame, avoid the issue or just shut up shop and wait for something good that the can align themselves with to surface to win votes..

Not going to wish anyone a happy new year..cos it aint gonna happen
accyman and Barrie Yates like this.

Last edited by Guinness; 30-12-2015 at 23:43.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 16:51   #39
Full Member+

My son has just been selected to stand for a ward in next May's local elections because he wants to help people. Perhaps if more folk who criticise councillors stood up to be counted and put themselves forward we would all benefit from having representatives to truly cared.
Old 31-12-2015, 17:19   #40
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
My son has just been selected to stand for a ward in next May's local elections because he wants to help people. Perhaps if more folk who criticise councillors stood up to be counted and put themselves forward we would all benefit from having representatives to truly cared.
Here ends the Political broadcast on behalf of the Rowlf party...

...or does it?
Gremlin likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 18:40   #41
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Maybe we are interested in our communities but are not interested in politics or the pathetic nonsense that comes with political parties so we find other ways to help our communities instead.
Guinness, accyman and dotti34 like this.
Old 31-12-2015, 19:31   #42

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
'Selected' by who exactly? Certainly wasn't me. Wants to help people but stands under a political party flag and no doubt will toe the political party line when told to do so regardless of the people who he hopes will vote for him....

There are 4 local people in the news today, who do not need electing, nor do they look for plaudits...

New Year's Honours galore as four heroes recognised - Accrington Observer

There are many more local people who work tirelessly for the community without recognition because they care.

If your son truly wants to 'help people', he'd be much better off doing it the way these guys do it. The days of entering politics to 'help people' ended with Thatcherism and Blairism.
Old 31-12-2015, 23:46   #43
Full Member+

I am obviously less cynical than a lot of you.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:03   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I am obviously less cynical than a lot of you.
Which ward and which party?

I've worked with quite a few Councillors, some are good, some are bad and some are absolutely useless but I wont mention names I hope your son will be one of the good ones
Old 01-01-2016, 10:02   #45
Beacon of light

Some start out good, but become affected by their perceived possession of power.....they THINK they are powerful, but they are not.....they forget where they have come from, they forget that their initial intention was to help others and in the end the serve themselves before their electors.
dotti34 and Chrisr like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..