Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2016, 17:59   #61
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Flood Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
when did the deforestation of these hills take place?
Probably around the 11th Century, when Dai the sheep botherer & his mates were attacking the wicked "English" in their castles!
Old 03-01-2016, 22:36   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Probably around the 11th Century, when Dai the sheep botherer & his mates were attacking the wicked "English" in their castles!
I think you are a little bit off in your dates there. The Edwardian conquest of Wales was in the 3rd quarter of the 1200s and the subsequent revolt in the 1st quarter of the 1300s. If you do a bit of research into Edwards initial march into Wales two things slowed his army down the mountainous terrain and the density of the woodland so it was heavilly wooded then.
The initial clearance of forests was when we stopped hunting and started farming. The second big clearance started with combination of the Industrial Revolution and the buildup of the Navy before (and during) the Napoleonic Wars. The building of the railways and WW1 finished the process off.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:21   #63

My original post was in support of hill farmers where ever in the U.K. they farm, if they in turn, as the farmers of Pontbren suggested, were willing to replant the tree cover on their upland farms.

This of course would need the backing of the leather arm chair brigade from the U.K. Cardiff (AND) Brussels to issue grants from the common agricultural policy or a change in the grant system to encourage the planting, (re-planting), of the tree cover.

Then again, I am only one of the many millions of plebs who pay their taxes in order to keep the backsides of the priviliged sat confortably in their leather arm chairs, so what do I know ? Your's, as ever, stay happy, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 13:54   #64

Well, the last 2 pages of this appear to have been nothing to do with the floods.

It won't matter what they do - if the likely hood of floods comes back somewhere will flood - if not where has flooded now - further downstream couid get it worse because the upstream has been protected.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 15:10   #65
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Well, the last 2 pages of this appear to have been nothing to do with the floods.

It won't matter what they do - if the likely hood of floods comes back somewhere will flood - if not where has flooded now - further downstream couid get it worse because the upstream has been protected.
I beg to differ.
The last couple of pages have been related to politics.....and politics relates to every aspect of our community lives.
Politicians and their ilk(meaning the expensive quangos.....who were supposed to be toast...got rid of as worthless) make decisions about where money...our money is to be spent.
They(it seems) deem it more important to send money abroad to countries which have their own space program....this is money they have taken from us remember......and they believe it is morally right to support other countries rather than the victims of the floods in this country.
Now, if you cannot grasp this then perhaps this is not the place you should be!
KiTChener and taddy like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 19:02   #66
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
I think you are a little bit off in your dates there.
Thank you Professor P.D. Antik Upon writing I wasn't making a factual point, merely a humorous little aside so dates & nationalities weren't meant to be taken seriously. (Sorry mate, I shall mend my ways & only put down confirmed facts in future to keep you happy! Yeah ....... like that's really going to happen )
cashman and Barrie Yates like this.
Old 04-01-2016, 19:23   #67
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Thank you Professor P.D. Antik Upon writing I wasn't making a factual point, merely a humorous little aside so dates & nationalities weren't meant to be taken seriously. (Sorry mate, I shall mend my ways & only put down confirmed facts in future to keep you happy! Yeah ....... like that's really going to happen )
Wars have started throughout history because someone made little inaccuracies just to be flippant, on Accyweb you should only be accurately humurous.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 20:14   #68
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Wars have started throughout history because someone made little inaccuracies just to be flippant, on Accyweb you should only be accurately humurous.
That'l be the day.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 20:21   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
That'l be the day.
You amaze me, you show such hatred against the site and yet can't help but post, are you just lonely, or are you a miserable grump?
If you don't like what you see post in a manner that will make folk want to read your posts or, well you know the rest you old miserable git.
Old 04-01-2016, 22:22   #70
I am Banned

Quote:
You amaze me, you show such hatred against the site and yet can't help but post, are you just lonely, or are you a miserable grump?
If you don't like what you see post in a manner that will make folk want to read your posts or, well you know the rest you old miserable git.
Back to your own nasty self I see, the time you were away from the site was a pleasure for us all, now yor making up for it, when did I say I hated the site, or are just taking it out on me becaause Garinda has taken so many of your members, and the site is going downhill, with very few real posts, its mostly football and a few games now, at least on Hyndburn Chat we don't have to put up wi nasty b**gers.
Old 04-01-2016, 22:52   #71

Tut, tut, gentlemen. Love it! Is it to be daggers at dawn or pistols at the pizza shop? You are both proving the point that there is no need for either with which to wound, for as playwright Edward Bulwer-Lytton wrote in 1839 the pen is mightier than the sword.

Carry on with the good work….
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 23:31   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Back to your own nasty self I see, the time you were away from the site was a pleasure for us all, now yor making up for it, when did I say I hated the site, or are just taking it out on me becaause Garinda has taken so many of your members, and the site is going downhill, with very few real posts, its mostly football and a few games now, at least on Hyndburn Chat we don't have to put up wi nasty b**gers.
Completely wrong again aren't you? I wasn't being nasty, just commenting on how nasty you are when on site.
To prove it the above comment.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:08   #73
Beacon of light

Quote:
It does not amaze me....it saddens me.
That someone who has posted interesting and valuable comments can stoop so low.
Although you may not say you hate the site Retlaw, you only come on here infrequently and your posts appear to be barbed and snide.
If you really think so little of the site then I am sure you can find a place to post comments.....somewhere other than on here.

If Hyndburn Chat is your bag then perhaps you should stay there.
You cannot accuse Less of being nasty when you are doing exactly the same thing......that is hypocritical.

Your comment in post 68 was uncalled for, it was snide and it added nothing at all to the discussion.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 05-01-2016 at 07:14.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:55   #74

Retlaw, just read your post No. 70 on this thread and need to make comment. Your statement that when Less chose not to post for a while it was ‘a pleasure for us all’ is one that you really had no right to make as it is so untrue. You certainly don’t speak for me and, though I’m sure he doesn’t need me to say this, let me assure you that during the time that Less was ‘away’ he was very much missed going by the number of people who wanted to know where he was. I for one was very happy when he came back on.

Like Margaret I too am a bit sorry to read nasty comments from you, Retlaw, as I have always appreciated and been impressed by your knowledge and the help you have so freely given people.

As for me, I have no idea what Hyndburn Chat is about and have no intention of finding out – Accrington Web does for me, it’s a great way to start the day, cup of caffeine and the Web. Brilliant!

As for this thread - it's certainly strayed somewhat....
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:02   #75
I am Banned

you should only be accurately humurous.

That'l be the day

I've posted it again.
Is that any better, I don't hate the site, but it has gone downhill recently, with very few interesting posts, like I said its now mostly football, and a few odd games, nothing like it was 2 years ago.
If you want me to leave, then why don't you get a mod to ban me, if I'm as bad as you say, and there are some on here who will take some beating, then go for it.
Dotti Hyndburn Chat is like it says in the title, its all about the history of Hyndburn, & the day to day events taking place in Hyndburn, no nastyness, or back biteing alowed.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-01-2016 at 12:07.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..