Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2011, 18:16   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Foreign aid - No cuts. But a rise.

Quite simply we should not be sending money abroad in foreign aid until we can afford to. Clearly at the moment we cant, but its obviously more important for the Government to play the "big man" on the world stage & crap on us at home, hopefully people will protest about this & also about the savage cuts to the most vulnerable people here. I'm not gonna hold my breath though...perhaps forests are more important!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2011, 18:38   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Quite simply we should not be sending money abroad in foreign aid until we can afford to. Clearly at the moment we cant, but its obviously more important for the Government to play the "big man" on the world stage & crap on us at home, hopefully people will protest about this & also about the savage cuts to the most vulnerable people here. I'm not gonna hold my breath though...perhaps forests are more important!

Best Regards - Taggy
Maybe this will have us manning Manky's barracades?

Come on everybody, surely we've had enough, if we can't look after ourselves before anyone else, let's get revolting!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 18:52   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Mr Cameron was crowing yesterday that investing in foreign countries brings billions in trade and while I can go some way to understanding his point I'm afraid the wider public simply see handouts. Any business will pitch itself to a market which will buy but at the moment it is all one-way traffic, money going out and not coming in because we have nothing to sell.

To me, further handouts is a mistake and a pretty simple one at that.
And this practice started on May 1st last year then
Old 28-02-2011, 19:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And this practice started on May 1st last year then
Of course not,
but,
'let he who is without sin amongst you cast the first stone'.
or shut up.
Old 28-02-2011, 19:19   #20
God Member

its bad enough we are the worlds softest touch and have our boarders open to anyone with a sob story and not a penny to their name but to also send them money before they step foot into our country is a new level of taking the urine

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 19:29   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
its bad enough we are the worlds softest touch and have our boarders open to anyone with a sob story and not a penny to their name but to also send them money before they step foot into our country is a new level of taking the urine
I think it could be termed a preempted strike accyman
Old 28-02-2011, 19:32   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think it could be termed a preempted strike accyman
i dont know why the government dosnt just send them a flipping first class plane ticket here and be done with it.I have no doubt if europe said we had to it would happen

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 28-02-2011, 19:35   #23
Give, give, give member

I bet if people were allowed a referendum, asking if we should give regular foreign aid to other countries, there'd be an overwhelming no vote.

If asked, I presume most people would say they'd prefer the choice of deciding where their charitable donations went, and to whom.

There's certainly no doubting our nation's generosity, when it comes to independently giving our money. As witnessed everytime there's a crisis, or disaster in the world. We're right up there, as one of the world's most generous nations, when it comes to sending independent donations to specific causes.

I also presume not many would object to a government pool of money, which could send financial aid to targeted disaster zones in times of emergency.

What the majority of people are sick and tired of, which politicans of all parties fail to understand, is that whilst every other budget is being cut at home, the amount we give in foreign aid is not only protected, but is to be increased.

This is aside from the fact that people are wary of regularly funding certain countries, and worry that it actually helps those who live there that are in real need. There is evidence that aid to certain African countries goes to shore up dubious political leaders, and also fund arms purchases.

There was an Indian university lecturer interviewed on the BBC news this morning. He said, like many other people he knew, that he didn't pay any tax. As the government relied on funds provided in foreign aid, and wasn't reliant on revenue raised fron taxes. Although it's growing, percentage wise India's blue and white collar class is small, though in actual numbers it's massive. Very nearly the same as the working population of the UK. I mention this only because up until now India has received massive foreign aid from the UK, despite their space, and nuclear programmes.

If we are to send regular foreign aid to various countries, at least have the decency that it should be subject to the same rate of cuts as we are experiencing domestically.

Otherwise people start thinking they are being taken for idiots, and this could lead to them seeking support from those groups who are outside the political mainstream...at present.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 19:43   #24
God Member

i saw on the news that india got a £1 billion gift only last week or the week before.Not only do they have all our call center jobs and jaguar they are getting handouts as well

Old 01-03-2011, 13:27   #25
Give, give, give member

Announced today that 11,000 servicemen and women are to be made redundant.

11,000 in armed forces get axe: RAF pilots sacked on day no-fly zone is discussed | News

Cuts 'will damage UK defence' warn ex military chiefs - Channel 4 News

Let's hope that none of the countries we give foreign aid to, rise up in the future, and attack us.

As they'd probably be the victors.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 13:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Let's hope that none of the countries we give foreign aid to, rise up in the future, and attack us.

As they'd probably be the victors.
Yes, and they will be able to do it with bargain bucket second hand equipment that we will sell them because we'll be having a Military 'closing down sale'.

Still, if we are conquered the national deficit will become their problem.

(There is always a bright side).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..