Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 20:21   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Free grit for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Nothing about those issues. The meeting was really about the core strategy.

This counsel HAS A STRATERGY ??
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2010, 20:24   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
This counsel HAS A STRATERGY ??
Even dictatorships have strategies
Old 08-11-2010, 20:32   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The only problem with that was highlighted afterwards when we had a quick think about it and Cllr Ciaran Wells pointed out that if every household in the borough asked for a bag at the current price of grit it would end up costing around £6.6m!

Quote:
Leader of Hyndburn Council Peter Britcliffe said £15,000 has been allocated to the project
Is it worth setting up a poll to see if any of us can come up with the correct figure ?
Old 08-11-2010, 20:34   #19
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
While you were all together what was said about the markets?
That's where the incredulity sets in.

The last full council meeting was in July, we're supposed to have them every six weeks to discuss the really important issues across the borough but for one thing the Leader of the Council doesn't like them that regularly and for another the last scheduled one was cancelled altogether following the death of John Griffiths rather than merely postponed.

Today's meeting was what is referred to as an extraordinary meeting in which only one major issue is discussed that cannot wait until the next scheduled full council.

The current Conservative majority is just two, with the three independent councillors likely to support Labour during voting, hence the majority is lost and any awkward motions which may be put to the council have a real chance of being passed.

If the Baxenden bye-election goes the wrong way for Cllr Britcliffe then the few remaining full council meetings until next May will be somewhat tricky for him.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 20:36   #20
Senior Member+

I might be wrong here but I recall the number of households in Hyndburn being 35,000ish.

6.6 million / 35000 = 188 roughly.

So a 16kg back of grit costs £188. Pull another one Britcliffe.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 20:41   #21
God Member

Quote:
I've just come out of a full council meeting (no, I can't believe it either) and Cllr Britcliffe has given us all some genuinely 'good news' regarding grit for the winter. For the next fortnight, everyone in the borough is entitled to ask for a 16kg bag of grit in order to prepare for the winter, a scheme which I honestly think is a decent gesture.

The only problem with that was highlighted afterwards when we had a quick think about it and Cllr Ciaran Wells pointed out that if every household in the borough asked for a bag at the current price of grit it would end up costing around £6.6m!

Hyndburn Council can be contacted on 01254 388111.
Oh Dear.

Looks like someone needs a new slide rule or calculator.

Aprox. 80,000 people in the Borough. Everyone agree?

Assume about 2.7 people per household. Everyone agree? (OK, I'm being a bit mean - it's maybe 3)

Still, That makes 30,000 households. Everyone agree?

£6.6m divided by 30,000 = 220

Thats £220pds per 16kg bag of grit, or £13,750 quid per metric ton

I think someones got their decimal point mixed up somewhere. I know Britcliffe's bad enough, but I would have assumed the local government in waiting would at least be able to do their sums. I doubt if grit is more than £100 per ton.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 20:43   #22
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
I might be wrong here but I recall the number of households in Hyndburn being 35,000ish.

6.6 million / 35000 = 188 roughly.

So a 16kg back of grit costs £188. Pull another one Britcliffe.
To clarify, it was implied that each person in Hyndburn would be eligible for a bag of grit. That is almost certainly not the case and I'm not going to knock the scheme too far because it might actually help those who were completely gritless last winter and ended up confined to their homes.

The problem is that I don't think it is deliverable if every household phones up, just over 40,000 I believe.

Old 08-11-2010, 20:47   #23
Common Sense Member

Spread the word, certain hillside areas are going to need it more than others.

I'm just hoping the bin at the top of my street gets filled regularly, watching several tons of bin wagon skating towards my car last January was quite enough excitement.

Old 08-11-2010, 20:52   #24
God Member

Quote:
To clarify, it was implied that each person in Hyndburn would be eligible for a bag of grit. That is almost certainly not the case and I'm not going to knock the scheme too far because it might actually help those who were completely gritless last winter and ended up confined to their homes.

The problem is that I don't think it is deliverable if every household phones up, just over 40,000 I believe.
Oops..I missed Nicholson's earlier post.

So all 80,000 people are legible for a bag?

£6.6m divided by 80,000 = £82.5pds per bag, or £5.16p per kilo, or £5,156pds per metric ton. Still not quite there, Ken.
Old 08-11-2010, 20:57   #25
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Oops..I missed Nicholson's earlier post.

So all 80,000 people are legible for a bag?

£6.6m divided by 80,000 = £82.5pds per bag, or £5.16p per kilo, or £5,156pds per metric ton. Still not quite there, Ken.
No it isn't. Whoops. Perhaps a certain tongue-in-cheek element is missing?

The implication is more that if everyone in Hyndburn phoned up it would cost a fortune and would probably end up disappointing more than it helped.

I personally hope that those who really need it get it first, such as those in Baxenden, just before the bye-election....

Old 08-11-2010, 21:16   #26
God Member

Yeah, I'm aware of the logistics of implementing such a scheme.

Nevertheless, you and the labour group have come up with a figure of £6.6m. How do you arrive at that figure, or were you just playing silly buggars in the meeting and afterwards?
Old 08-11-2010, 21:20   #27
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm aware of the logistics of implementing such a scheme.

Nevertheless, you and the labour group have come up with a figure of £6.6m. How do you arrive at that figure, or were you just playing silly buggars in the meeting and afterwards?
Just playing silly buggers afterwards. We do that sometimes to remind ourselves that we still have a sense of humour. We were there to thrash out the Core Strategy today and did not engage in petty party politics during the meeting, neither did any of the Conservative or Independent councillors.

Only one man tried it on and failed, can you guess who that was?

Old 08-11-2010, 21:25   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Just playing silly buggers afterwards. We do that sometimes to remind ourselves that we still have a sense of humour. We were there to thrash out the Core Strategy today and did not engage in petty party politics during the meeting, neither did any of the Conservative or Independent councillors.

Only one man tried it on and failed, can you guess who that was?
It wouldn't by any chance be the knob who failed to become n M.P. candidate would it?
Old 08-11-2010, 21:54   #29
God Member

I've just looked at the piece on the LT website. That's saying that people can apply for free delivery of the said grit for use on quote '...private pathways and driveways..'.

Eh? Whats going on here? Is this right? if so, Ken, why didn't you mention this bit earlier? If it is right, this is highly discriminatory. It means that those people living in Hyndburn in a two-up-two-down access direct from the street are not going to be legible for this hand out; the people who will get it will be the better off living in detached or semi's with a drive or pathway - people who can most afford it.

If this ain't blatant electoral bribary, I don't know what is; it is certainly against the concept of universal provision for local services and as such may well be illegal. Get on it, Ken.
Old 08-11-2010, 22:06   #30
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I've just looked at the piece on the LT website. That's saying that people can apply for free delivery of the said grit for use on quote '...private pathways and driveways..'.

Eh? Whats going on here? Is this right? if so, Ken, why didn't you mention this bit earlier? If it is right, this is highly discriminatory. It means that those people living in Hyndburn in a two-up-two-down access direct from the street are not going to be legible for this hand out; the people who will get it will be the better off living in detached or semi's with a drive or pathway - people who can most afford it.

If this ain't blatant electoral bribary, I don't know what is; it is certainly against the concept of universal provision for local services and as such may well be illegal. Get on it, Ken.
One way to find out, I live in a terraced house. I'll let you all know how I get on.

It doesn't half stink though. I was sat about 10 feet from it today as Cllr Britcliffe demonstrated what a 15kg (I felt sure he said 16kg) bag looked like and it wafted across for over an hour so you'll need a shed at least.

Our nearest grit bin was empty four days before Christmas and by New Year I simply decided to scatter the ash from the fire on the road. Desperate times call for desperate measures but it worked a treat.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..