Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2010, 19:52   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Free grit for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
This is the old Leftie in me now.

Surely the distribution of this grit should have been on the basis of need, and not want? Based upon the electoral register I would have assumed that HBC is fully aware of senior citizens within the borough and also those who are disabled. These are the people who would have most difficulty in clearing their footpaths, steps and backyards and these are the people who should have had priority.
Got to agree with you Tealeaf, Whilst I would love to receive our bag of grit to clear our pathways I think all the senior citizens and those who are disabled should be given priority.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2010, 19:52   #122
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well, they've delivered in Ossy. But maybe the 5000 bag allocation has not yet been fully subscribed?
I phoned to order mine last week and asked how many had been already ordered, I was told that it was well over 5000 but not to worry I would still get one, (to add to the one I bought last year and is still half full). I am not greedy, just a poll tax payer who want a bit back.

grem
Old 28-11-2010, 20:09   #123
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I would agree with that. And I would hope that those groups you mention wont be left out. I also know quite a few people who have been ringing up for their elderly neighbours.
That all begs a number of questions, Bernard. Given that it is my understanding that the news of the Brit Grit was sprung on a council meeting only a few weeks ago, these are:

1) When and where was the funding approved for this? Presumably advance orders have had to be made for what is (I guess) already bagged stock, given the depletion of general stocks after last winter.

2) When was the formal purchase made?

3) When and who made the decision to allocate on the basis of first come, first served?

4) What is the current distribution policy regarding deliveries?

5) More specifically, I now understand that deliveries will occur any time after 7am, which means that some people who have ordered have to be up and about at that time and opening their back yard doors in order to allow access. There is no fixed delivery time, so some pensioners have been doing this for the last week, to no avail. I also note the temperature in Accy is currently -7C has I write.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 20:23   #124
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

after phone conversation wi em, there leaving ours in front garden, sod getting up every day n putting the heating on waiting fer ever. if someone nicks it, tough luck,
Old 28-11-2010, 22:45   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:
That all begs a number of questions, Bernard. Given that it is my understanding that the news of the Brit Grit was sprung on a council meeting only a few weeks ago, these are:

1) When and where was the funding approved for this? Presumably advance orders have had to be made for what is (I guess) already bagged stock, given the depletion of general stocks after last winter.

2) When was the formal purchase made?

3) When and who made the decision to allocate on the basis of first come, first served?

4) What is the current distribution policy regarding deliveries?

5) More specifically, I now understand that deliveries will occur any time after 7am, which means that some people who have ordered have to be up and about at that time and opening their back yard doors in order to allow access. There is no fixed delivery time, so some pensioners have been doing this for the last week, to no avail. I also note the temperature in Accy is currently -7C has I write.
As you can probably appreciate I'm not a member of the controlling group. And I'm not really able to answer any the questions you ask.Although I suspect that quite a few of the controlling group would not be able to answer the questions either. I've just been able to find bits of information out, such as how many bags of grit the contract was far.And also the original budget allocation.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 07:53   #126
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I've just been able to find bits of information out, such as how many bags of grit the contract was far.And also the original budget allocation.
You should be in politics, you answered the question without giving any answers
Old 29-11-2010, 08:00   #127
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Last year we were all moaning about the lack of grit. Now your moaning about its distribution.
What next, "Its too smelly" oops we have had that one.
Errrmm what about "They cant give me an exact delivery time", nope we have had that one
What about "Too many people want it", nope thats been said
Errr this is getting hard, what about "Its not salty enough", yes thats a new one

I think this picture says it all.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg damned-if-you-do-dont.jpg (25.2 KB, 190 views)
Old 29-11-2010, 08:16   #128
Resting in Peace

It would appear that it can't be delivered because of he snowy conditions.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 08:55   #129
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Did Pete tell you that?
Na Taleaf the Ossy Boarder patrol
Old 29-11-2010, 08:55   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
As suspected, Ossy gets priority.
Old 29-11-2010, 08:57   #131
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I wasn't aware that they'd delivered any bags yet. The original contract and funding was for 5000 bags. So if its now 7500 bags and climbing, it will be interesting to see where the extra funding is coming from.
Your tea money's been stopped
Old 29-11-2010, 09:02   #132
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Last year we were all moaning about the lack of grit. Now your moaning about its distribution.
What next, "Its too smelly" oops we have had that one.
Errrmm what about "They cant give me an exact delivery time", nope we have had that one
What about "Too many people want it", nope thats been said
Errr this is getting hard, what about "Its not salty enough", yes thats a new one

I think this picture says it all.

Things will change when Ken Moss is in charge Neil there'll only be one door with the two notices on it, got save money you know
Old 29-11-2010, 09:03   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
It would appear that it can't be delivered because of he snowy conditions.
Their having trouble gritting the roads
Old 29-11-2010, 09:10   #134
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Your tea money's been stopped
Not so much that,I don't drink the stuff.But stopping some of the more lavish buffets some members of the Conservative group have been enjoying at the ratepayers expense, would be a step in the right direction
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 09:23   #135
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Things will change when Ken Moss is in charge Neil there'll only be one door with the two notices on it, got save money you know
Like this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg damned-if-you-do-dont1.jpg (33.3 KB, 99 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..