Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 15:22   #31
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Free light bulbs from British Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The lamps cost nothing like £10, less than a couple of quid in Asda.

Think of the saving nationally not just personally.
You are right they have become a lot cheaper than since the last time I looked.

I got some 100w (1365 lumens) traditional bulbs today at 44p for TWO. The nearest equivalent in low energy (1130 lumens) bulbs would cost just under two quid EACH.

I have one 100w bulb in the living room, bedroom, kitchen, washroom and lobby. A 60w bulb in a table lamp over the TV and a 15w pigmy (switchboard) bulb in a bedside lamp. For nearly nine months in a year the 100w bulbs just gather dust. Even in winter they rarely get switched on. The bedside light gets switched on for less than five minutes per day as I prepare for bed. The lamp over the TV is only switched on when it gets darkish in the living room.

I haven’t changed a 100w bulb for over 8 years and I can’t remember when was the last time that I changed the 15w bulb. The TV lamp generally lasts about 6 months. The saving per year can be counted in pennies and that would be eaten away with the cost of LE bulbs.

If I were to use low energy bulbs everywhere, the room lights would last some 60 years, the bedside light at least 100 years and the TV light maybe 5 years. At 71 I’m unlikely to last 60 more years.

Although I do care what happens to this planet my contribution would be less that negligible.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..