Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 10:26   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Free Swimming For Pensioners.

I don't think they had swimming pools at the workhouse.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-06-2008, 10:26   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I’ve no idea what it costs these days but someone earlier mentioned £1.60. I have also no idea how many pensioners there are in this country. However let us assume that there are 5 million although there are probably more. If the government increased the pension by £1.60 per week it would cost the taxpayer at least £412 million per annum. I seem to recall that the government will grant £50 million to the local authorities to compensate for loss of income and there was something about another £50 million.
it costs £1-50 at hyndburn fer pensioners and disabled, £1-00 of which is refunded when ya return yer locker key, so if hyndburn does come under this scheme there i would estimate 40 max pensioners use it, the government are spending £20 on yer, stop moaning jim. like i commented in post 2 it costs nowt, i shall amend that to LOOKS GOOD, COSTS NOWT,
Old 09-06-2008, 10:44   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
And where do people find the energy to swim if they can't afford to feed themselves whilst paying all their bills? Why can't they just be encouraged to go for walks or something and let them decide what to spend their money on?

The fact of the matter is, the government are all too aware that the majority of old people don't care about going swimming, and it's much cheaper to offer out a useless freebie which will only be taken up by a minority than pay out a bit extra to everybody. I think it is disgusting personally and it's bad enough that the government are trying to justify it without having to listened to the brainwashed electorate justify it too.
Can you swim?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:58   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well there is if you want it Nickelson there's always Kemp Delph
No Thank You

Dont Fancy Swimming With The Dead.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:00   #50
Senior Member+

whats kemp delph?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:39   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Can you swim?
Not very well why? I had swimming lessons at school but they weren't fun. I haven't been swimming for just under a year.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:55   #52
God Member

Quote:
Not very well why? I had swimming lessons at school but they weren't fun. I haven't been swimming for just under a year.
Just wondering

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:35   #53
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Free Swimming For Pensioners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
it costs £1-50 at hyndburn fer pensioners and disabled, £1-00 of which is refunded when ya return yer locker key, so if hyndburn does come under this scheme there i would estimate 40 max pensioners use it, the government are spending £20 on yer, stop moaning jim. like i commented in post 2 it costs nowt, i shall amend that to LOOKS GOOD, COSTS NOWT,
Come on cashy – it is a legitimate moan. The whole scheme is being presented as helping pensioners when the reality is that only a tiny minority will benefit.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:40   #54
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Free Swimming For Pensioners.

There is no evidence to suggest that regular swimming extends your life. The only evidence that there is, is that whilst swimming the body weight is taken off the arthritic joints and thus makes movement that bit easier. Once out of the water you are back to your painful normal. The only benefit that you get is that the muscles are exercised with less pain. The down side of swimming is that unless the water temperature is at least at body temperature, being immersed in water will cool the body down. We all know that the colder the body gets the worse the effects of arthritis.

Most of the electorate are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

This initiative is only to try and gild the tarnished Labour/Brown image and a smokescreen to try and take our eye off the real issues. Or more likely Brown is muddying the political waters so that when he gets shown the door at the next general election, as surely he will, the next lot will have to spend the first three years undoing what Brown has done.

I read the other day that in spite of all the protests, this mob is surreptitiously going ahead with ID cards.
Old 09-06-2008, 13:17   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There is no evidence to suggest that regular swimming extends your life. The only evidence that there is, is that whilst swimming the body weight is taken off the arthritic joints and thus makes movement that bit easier. Once out of the water you are back to your painful normal. The only benefit that you get is that the muscles are exercised with less pain. The down side of swimming is that unless the water temperature is at least at body temperature, being immersed in water will cool the body down. We all know that the colder the body gets the worse the effects of arthritis.
98.6 degrees water temperature ! Ouch, don't think so Jambutty. Recommended is approx. 82.4.

At least, the muscles are getting exercised whilst in the water, which wouldn't normally get exercised without pain. All exercise is good for you and will extend life.

All about vascular too, to get the heart pumping a little faster.

I have had a hip replacement in now for 23 years, and although don't have any problems, just sometimes the muscles around the 'hip' would come a little stiff for a few days. Since I have been going swimming regularly, have now no trouble at all.

Last edited by Mick; 10-06-2008 at 05:11.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 14:21   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Come on cashy – it is a legitimate moan. The whole scheme is being presented as helping pensioners when the reality is that only a tiny minority will benefit.
i know hence the sarcastic smiley with my comments, others who can't or aint the wit to see its legitimate can go suck eggs.
Old 09-06-2008, 16:32   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i know hence the sarcastic smiley with my comments, others who can't or aint the wit to see its legitimate can go suck eggs.
As they say in Parliament here, here,
Old 09-06-2008, 18:54   #58
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
if I'm not mistaken Hyndburn sports centre is run by a trust not the council
I think Hyndburn Sports Centre is a pathetic attempt of a sports centre. The pool opening times are a joke.
Quote:
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 9.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 9.00am to 3.00pm
But if you decide to pop down at 10am I bet you can't have a swim with your kids even in the holidays.
Old 09-06-2008, 21:37   #59
God Member

Quote:
And where do people find the energy to swim if they can't afford to feed themselves whilst paying all their bills? Why can't they just be encouraged to go for walks or something and let them decide what to spend their money on?

The fact of the matter is, the government are all too aware that the majority of old people don't care about going swimming, and it's much cheaper to offer out a useless freebie which will only be taken up by a minority than pay out a bit extra to everybody. I think it is disgusting personally and it's bad enough that the government are trying to justify it without having to listened to the brainwashed electorate justify it too.
I don't recall the last Tory government doing anything about pensioners not having a decent income !
Are you trying to tell us that the "New Conservatives" would significantly increase pensions?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 21:39   #60
God Member

Quote:
As my pensioned Dad would say... "it's better than a kick in the cods"
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..