Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 21:40   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Free Swimming For Pensioners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I don't recall the last Tory government doing anything about pensioners not having a decent income !
Are you trying to tell us that the "New Conservatives" would significantly increase pensions?
mancie i just love yer sense of humour.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:52   #62
God Member

Quote:
I don't recall the last Tory government doing anything about pensioners not having a decent income !
Are you trying to tell us that the "New Conservatives" would significantly increase pensions?
I don't recall saying the Conservative government would solve the problem. Or any other party for that matter, though I think it is Labours duty to its electorate to provide what it says on the packet. When people vote for Labour, they think they are voting for a party that will bring fairness to all, and provide a good standard of living for everybody. In my view this scheme is designed to make people feel like they are cared about by the government, and that they are getting something extra, when in fact they are getting less. This isn't about MY politics, I just think this is unethical and unfair.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:43   #63
God Member

Why do you presume people vote Labour because they will bring fairness to all?... do you think we are all thick or stupid? people vote for what they think is best.. no one is "brainwashed" .. except you maybe .. DOrk
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 14:14   #64
God Member

Well most people who vote Labour do so because they are supposedly a party aiming to represent the working class so they get a fair deal.

I am glad we agree though Mancie that the Labour Party do not at all represent fairness, and we should vote for who represents our best interests. I too agree strongly with this, and have said so in previous threads. I'm sure you have seen this somewhere though seen as you clearly pay attention to all of my posts.
Old 10-06-2008, 14:25   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Well most people who vote Labour do so because they are supposedly a party aiming to represent the working class so they get a fair deal.

I am glad we agree though Mancie that the Labour Party do not at all represent fairness, and we should vote for who represents our best interests. I too agree strongly with this, and have said so in previous threads. I'm sure you have seen this somewhere though seen as you clearly pay attention to all of my posts.
blazey 40 -mancie 15, just practicing fer wimbledon.
Old 10-06-2008, 14:31   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
blazey 40 -mancie 15, just practicing fer wimbledon.
I can't wait for wimbledon far better than Euro 2008 lol... ooooh and the olympics... I can't wait for summer!
Old 10-06-2008, 15:30   #67
Give, give, give member

According to the U.S. Water Fitness Association (USWFA), swimming provides individuals with several physical, social and mental benefits.

http://www.24hrfitness.co.uk/fitness...-swimming.html

I'll pack your trunks.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 15:38   #68
God Member

Quote:
Uhm, yes?

Gordon Brown has wrecked havoc with our pensioners, he raided pension schemes taking £5 billion a year from them. The Governments own statistics show that pensioners are getting poorer.

The Conservatives have promised to restore the link between pensions and earnings. They got rid of this 25 years ago, but at the time economic circumstances permitted the change. Now circumstances are different, pensioners are struggling after Browns meddling. The proposed changes will take over a million pensioners out of degrading means testing and increase pensions £7 and £11 a week for singles and couples. This is on top of inflationary increases. So the answer is yes, the "New Conservatives" are committed to looking after our pensioners, and too right, they have done a lot for the country, many even fought for its freedom and paid taxes all their lives.
Old 13-06-2008, 20:53   #69
Junior Member+

Just to confuse the issue, this is Pendy, using Yvonne's PC, so don't blame her! I love swimming and used to swim a lot, but in recent years various disabilities have meant that I can't do it anymore. I would like to propose a compromise to our beloved leader, dear old Gordy - even though as a pensioner I am entitled to do so, I am prepared to swear that I will never use the privilege of free swimming, if he will give me my 10p tax rate band back. I can't say fairer than that, can I? Not everyone has been able to put money into a private pension fund over the years, some people were too busy keeping body and soul together, and why should they suffer for it now? It would make sense if State pensions were not taxed - perhaps then pensioners would be able to cope a bit better. No free swimming, thank you - just make the basic pension enough to cover the necessities of life before we start on the fancy bits, health benefits or not. Many pensioners would achieve better health if they could afford enough to eat and could afford to keep warm in Winter.
yvonne.e is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..